Veteran Cruiser, Traveling W/ Newbie Who Wants To Board "AsLateAsPossible". Questions

LastUsernameEver

On a recent trip, the check-in period was 12-4pm.

It said "arrive after 3pm for a faster check in"

Many people take that advice....so 3pm is busy.

Id say arrive after 3:20pm in that case.

Note that arriving late, youll miss some things like the scavenger hunt.

As for being late.... I dont remember the exact times, but lets just say we had a problem in Rome and we were the last to board...

Edited by jamesboat

I may tell her I'll board early and she and the boys can board later.

I know that sounds insensitive, but...I picture myself being a nervous wreck trying to sightsee a few hours before boarding.

LOL

Not insensitive at all, just smart.

Yes just tell her you will meet her onboard.

That's probably what I'd do as well. Just make sure she really understands that they will not board her if she arrives too late. These boards have a lot of threads about surprised folks left behind on embarkation day and at ports.

Can I propose a fun alternative to worrying? Check in early. Have some lunch onboard. Then get off. It's not a floating prison. Go to the Space Needle or the Science Center or the Sculpture Garden or the Aquarium or whatever. Reboard. You will FLY through the terminal on that reboarding process. People will gaze at you with wonder,

^.This.^

Points for both content and writing style!

Yes there is a separate check in line. Have recently boarded in Los Angeles between 2:15-2:45 and have not encountered any line.

There was a separate check in window for Elites in FLL when I boarded in mid-March. That's the frst time I had had that happen.

Pre 9/11 my daughter arrived in FT Lauderdale at 4pm and barely made it onto the ship.

I don't mean this as an insult or offense in any way, but on this subject, I think 12 year-old advice is useless.

Okay, every time I have cruised I have been to the pier before noon, and since I have Elite embarkation priveleges I am usually onboard just after 12 noon.

Well, I'm traveling with a new (and, possibly reluctant) cruiser who just asked how "late we can board"?

Of course I know that means longer lines, etc...but I have warned her of that.

Since I'm trying to be as courteous as possible (while explaining the advantages of early boarding) I need to find out what the answer is to that question.

We'll be on the Star Aug 24th, which says it departs at 4PM.

I understand the new "staggered arrival time" concept, but since I'm Elite, I'm assuming that can be ignored.

So...ugh...how late can one arrive at the pier for a ship that leaves at 4PM?

My plan would be to board when I want to. If your fellow travleor wants to cut it close and maybe miss the cruise - that is their problem, not yours. Just remember that TSA has a say as to whether they will be allowed to board.

BTW - do they plan to pull this "board as late as possible" stunt at all the ports you stop at. Looking forward to seeing them in on-line videos.

DON

Well, we are traveling with her nephews (13 and 15) so I assume she wants to show them a bit of Seattle. But, since our flight arrives around 3PM the day prior, we'll still have daylight hours after checking in to the Hotel to see the Space Needle and Pike's Place THAT day.

So, I don't think the next day is necessary. As wonderful as Seattle is, those two sites are enough for me. The Marine Museum is nice too, but, I can't see enjoying a trip to a museum while I know a ship is waiting for me to embark!

I may tell her I'll board early and she and the boys can board later.

I know that sounds insensitive, but...I picture myself being a nervous wreck trying to sightsee a few hours before boarding.

LOL

Being from Seattle, I agree it is a lovely place. However, the terminal can be a bit challenging if more than one ship is in port. We have found that arriving about 12:30 is great if you don't like lines. This is often true, even if you are elite (as we are), because they inconsistently honor the early boarding perk. Also security here can be a bit....slow...so I wouldn't arrive much after 1:30pm for a low stress embarkation experience.

Enjoy your cruise!

I guess I could stand arriving between 2 and 2:30, although that feels like it'll be the height of crowds (since I've always been an early-bird I have no idea) but, what frustrates me is, we'll be checking out of our hotel at 11AM, so, we'll either need to store our luggage at the hotel and get it later, or drag our luggage around.

Seems so much more seemless to check-out and head to pier.

You can always leave your luggage with the porters and return later for check-in. You don't say where you are departing from. Here in San Francisco you can leave your luggage and return later.

Tom:)

Edited by trbarton

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is 2 years old but I can assure you that as long as you make it to the gangway before they swing it away you will be able to board.

Not that I would suggest it, but just recently due to an emergency we just made to the ship in Florida 10 minutes prior sailing & boarded with no problem.

I heard at the desk that there were 2 other people coming from Miami that didn't make it & although the ships did leave 10 minutes late I don't know for sure if it was waiting for them or not.