Veteran Cruiser, Traveling W/ Newbie Who Wants To Board "AsLateAsPossible". Questions

LastUsernameEver

Okay, every time I have cruised I have been to the pier before noon, and since I have Elite embarkation priveleges I am usually onboard just after 12 noon.

Well, I'm traveling with a new (and, possibly reluctant) cruiser who just asked how "late we can board"?

Of course I know that means longer lines, etc...but I have warned her of that.

Since I'm trying to be as courteous as possible (while explaining the advantages of early boarding) I need to find out what the answer is to that question.

We'll be on the Star Aug 24th, which says it departs at 4PM.

I understand the new "staggered arrival time" concept, but since I'm Elite, I'm assuming that can be ignored.

So...ugh...how late can one arrive at the pier for a ship that leaves at 4PM?

Okay, every time I have cruised I have been to the pier before noon, and since I have Elite embarkation priveleges I am usually onboard just after 12 noon.

Well, I'm traveling with a new (and, possibly reluctant) cruiser who just asked how "late we can board"?

Of course I know that means longer lines, etc...but I have warned her of that.

Since I'm trying to be as courteous as possible (while explaining the advantages of early boarding) I need to find out what the answer is to that question.

We'll be on the Star Aug 24th, which says it departs at 4PM.

I understand the new "staggered arrival time" concept, but since I'm Elite, I'm assuming that can be ignored.

So...ugh...how late can one arrive at the pier for a ship that leaves at 4PM?

I would think no later than 3:30.

I would think no later than 3:30.
For a 4:00pm sailaway, I think that's too late. The manifest must be submitted 60 minutes before sailing so I would say they should be checked in and onboard by 3pm. If they are late, they may not be allowed to board. A couple of years ago, my know-it-all nephew, who has cruised many times, figured the 2pm check-in was merely a suggestion. Half-way to the port, he realized he didn't have his passport, had to go home, and drive back. He arrived shortly after 3pm and they almost didn't let him board.

When I did the BVE last month on the Sapphire, which was sailing at 4pm, we disembarked just after 3pm and it was almost empty in the terminal with just a few people from Security and a couple of greeters. I think I saw a couple of people left at check-in.

Edited by Pam in CA

In December we did not arrive until 2:15 for a 4:00 sailing on Grand Princess (two different taxis got lost trying to find my condo). They had already taken down the separate queues for Elite/Suite and Platinum and only four check-in agents were on duty--and lots of people still coming in behind us. Your boarding pass will say "for a faster check-in arrive after X:00" but my advice would be to get there no later than around 30-60 minutes prior to that time; the knot of people who show up super early will have cleared by then.

I guess I could stand arriving between 2 and 2:30, although that feels like it'll be the height of crowds (since I've always been an early-bird I have no idea) but, what frustrates me is, we'll be checking out of our hotel at 11AM, so, we'll either need to store our luggage at the hotel and get it later, or drag our luggage around.

Seems so much more seemless to check-out and head to pier.

Princess's site states: "Passengers who are driving should arrive at the pier 2-3 hours prior to sailing. " I don't know what they would say about if you were flying in and then taking a taxi, etc. If your friend(s) is anxious about cruising, perhaps boarding with some extra time before sailing would allow them to explore the ship and become comfortable (and maybe even excited) about the cruise.

Ann

I guess I could stand arriving between 2 and 2:30, although that feels like it'll be the height of crowds (since I've always been an early-bird I have no idea) but, what frustrates me is, we'll be checking out of our hotel at 11AM, so, we'll either need to store our luggage at the hotel and get it later, or drag our luggage around.

Seems so much more seemless to check-out and head to pier.

Seeing that you have to check out of your hotel at 11am, it makes so much more sense to head straight to the terminal. Hopefully your friend will understand.

Why do they want to board late anyway?

I guess I could stand arriving between 2 and 2:30, although that feels like it'll be the height of crowds (since I've always been an early-bird I have no idea) but, what frustrates me is, we'll be checking out of our hotel at 11AM, so, we'll either need to store our luggage at the hotel and get it later, or drag our luggage around. ...

Or...

go to the pier, give the luggage to a porter, and check in later.

Or go right to pier, check in, and just delay boarding until later. She said "how late can we board."

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

Well, we are traveling with her nephews (13 and 15) so I assume she wants to show them a bit of Seattle. But, since our flight arrives around 3PM the day prior, we'll still have daylight hours after checking in to the Hotel to see the Space Needle and Pike's Place THAT day.

So, I don't think the next day is necessary. As wonderful as Seattle is, those two sites are enough for me. The Marine Museum is nice too, but, I can't see enjoying a trip to a museum while I know a ship is waiting for me to embark!

I may tell her I'll board early and she and the boys can board later.

I know that sounds insensitive, but...I picture myself being a nervous wreck trying to sightsee a few hours before boarding.

LOL

I know that sounds insensitive, but...I picture myself being a nervous wreck trying to sightsee a few hours before boarding.

LOL

Not insensitive at all, just smart.

Yes just tell her you will meet her onboard.

Well, we are traveling with her nephews (13 and 15) so I assume she wants to show them a bit of Seattle. But, since our flight arrives around 3PM the day prior, we'll still have daylight hours after checking in to the Hotel to see the Space Needle and Pike's Place THAT day.

So, I don't think the next day is necessary. As wonderful as Seattle is, those two sites are enough for me. The Marine Museum is nice too, but, I can't see enjoying a trip to a museum while I know a ship is waiting for me to embark!

LOL

I agree. The museums are wonderful but they really should not be rushed. It takes really a full day to go through them properly. Besides, remind her that the cruise fare includes that first day. I would soak Princess for everything I can get on that first day-including a nice lunch.

Besides, there is the muster drill to attend (I know they have late muster drills but by then you want to enjoying the trip) and unpacking before one can really relax. FWIW....

Edited by AKman2495

We were once stuck in traffic between our LaGuardia hotel and the dock for three hours and boarded at 3:30 for a 4:00 sailing. There certainly weren't any lines, but it was a nerve-wracking experience.

We also once left our ship in Southampton at 3:00 to go wine shopping. They were freaking out as we went down the ramp. It was a 10 minute walk to the co-op, 6 minutes or so shopping, and a 10 minute walk back to the ship. Slick as a whistle before 3:30. Again, no line. ;)

We were once stuck in traffic between our LaGuardia hotel and the dock for three hours and boarded at 3:30 for a 4:00 sailing. There certainly weren't any lines, but it was a nerve-wracking experience.

We also once left our ship in Southampton at 3:00 to go wine shopping. They were freaking out as we went down the ramp. It was a 10 minute walk to the co-op, 6 minutes or so shopping, and a 10 minute walk back to the ship. Slick as a whistle before 3:30. Again, no line. ;)

PunkiC! Dang! Cruise much???

LOL

I envy the frequency of your cruises.

Just out of curiosity, is there a seperate "Elite/Suite" line and then a "Platinum" line at check in?

With so many people being Platinum now, I just feel like Elite should have a dedicated line.

A little persnickety of me, but...there ya go.

Yes there is a separate check in line. Have recently boarded in Los Angeles between 2:15-2:45 and have not encountered any line. We usually try to board earlier but I had a job interview embarkation morning.

Take a look at which pier you will be at along with sights you want to see and determine if it makes since to see them the day before, the morning of, or to check in and head back out.

I would say, "I am going to the terminal at 10:30 AM. If you would like to join me, great. Otherwise I'll meet you onboard later." End of story. It's your vacation too. This way, each person can do what suits them best.

I hope they are not the type of people who will not do anything by themselves. I once cruised with a friend who would not leave my side. It was her first cruise. The only time I was away from her, was when I was in the bathroom. :eek:

I like to travel with folks who are independent. They aren't afraid to go on an excursion or simply up to the buffet by themselves. I hate when everyone has to agree to do the same thing at the same time. :(

PunkiC! Dang! Cruise much???

LOL

I envy the frequency of your cruises.

You have to make hay while the sun shines. We are at an age where we see friends our age dying right and left. So, we travel as much as we can while we are still healthy enough to do so.

LOL

I'm with you on this. Good thing my hubby is like me -- we both want to be on the ship ASAP. Our last three cruises were out of the Port of LA, and each time we were there by 12:15 at the lastest, and two of those times, we didn't have a line at all or just one party in front of us in line.

We would have a problem going on a cruise with someone who wants to rush to the berth at the very last minute. So maybe it's a good thing we stick with just the immediate family.

The one time we did a cruise out of Seattle, it was my third time there, but the first time for hubby and our daughter, so we decided to get there Friday night (the cruise was on Sunday). Saturday we spent getting our pre-cruise shopping in, as well as a little sightseeing (Pioneer Square mostly). We saved the majority of the sightseeing for after the cruise, with our train trip for Wednesday morning.

LOL

I totally understand how you feel. As much as I enjoyed Seattle, I wouldn't be able to have fun sightseeing the day I was to board the ship. I would also be a nervous wreck. Try to explain that to your friend or let her board on her own.

I have boarded at Seattle as late as 3PM with nary a worry. We *might* have cut it a bit close on our turnaround day in Whittier last time, as the security officer greeted me by name and the metal detector was already turned off when we got (back) to the terminal. It was still daylight. In June. In Whittier.

Assuming you're still inside Seattle itself, in an area with anything at all for tourists, at 2:00, there's just nothing worth worrying about. If worse came to worst, you could call an Orange cab, give them 15 minutes to show up, and *still* be at the pier by 2:45.

Can I propose a fun alternative to worrying? Check in early. Have some lunch onboard. Then get off. It's not a floating prison. Go to the Space Needle or the Science Center or the Sculpture Garden or the Aquarium or whatever. Reboard. You will FLY through the terminal on that reboarding process. People will gaze at you with wonder, as you breeze around without luggage to encumber you, just a cruise card and your sunglasses. It's really an ideal way to approach boarding day. I frequently do this, as there are often things close to the pier that I'd like to do on boarding day, but require a little something from the International Cafe and perhaps a fortifying beverage to face properly. With a little clever use of the metro bus and perhaps a cab for the return, you could easily do a little exploring post-check-in.

I would say, "I am going to the terminal at 10:30 AM. If you would like to join me, great. Otherwise I'll meet you onboard later." End of story. It's your vacation too. This way, each person can do what suits them best.

I hope they are not the type of people who will not do anything by themselves. I once cruised with a friend who would not leave my side. It was her first cruise. The only time I was away from her, was when I was in the bathroom. :eek:

I like to travel with folks who are independent. They aren't afraid to go on an excursion or simply up to the buffet by themselves. I hate when everyone has to agree to do the same thing at the same time. :(

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more. I have a cruising buddy that I travel with quite a bit. Some days we only meet for meals.

WCC