Cruise Critic Editor Recommends NOT to Cruise Carnival

MrPete

Just because she goes on a lot of cruises does not make her some kind of cruise "expert" who would influence my vacation choices.

So why are you reading the posts from all the other non "experts" on this board?;)

Here's my 2 cents on this issue.

I DON'T CARE

If you love CCL, good. Go sail with her.

If you hate CCL, fine. Go sail with another cruise line - or take a land vacation.

If you are undecided about CCL. Just wait awhile - there's another BIG SALE coming SOON!:)

The cut backs are happening on all cruise lines.Last year on HAL I got jipped from my candy on the pillow because the steward saw the candy on my nightstand and assumed I didnt want it.Not so I always save them for my grandson as e really enjoys receiving them.I did tell him and got the missed pieces replaced.No live music at sailaway either.No wine steward,have to order through your waiter,like they dont have enough to do.

We are doing our first Carnival Cruise on Sunshine June 7,2013 and are counting the days.

Don't believe anything the OP posted.. sorry Pete.. but to me you are just another CCL hater and maybe part of the group that JH hates too.. he thinks they SUCK..

I love CCL and will not think twice about sailing their ships again in the future..

Funnel for ever

HAve you ever read the About Us page on Cruise Critic which is owned by Expedia?

CSB is entitled to her opinion but the fact remains that is very telling that she is recommending not to sail on Carnival.

So a travel agency is recommending NO SAIL for Carnival? Wouldn't have anything to do with Carnival gutting their TA program?

:rolleyes:

think, people, think

So a travel agency is recommending NO SAIL for Carnival? Wouldn't have anything to do with Carnival gutting their TA program?

think, people, think

What is this supposed to mean. CSB is NOT a travel agent nor does she earn income as a travel agent. Carnival cuts to the travel agent community happened long before these latest incidents which lead to her comments.

There are a ton of travel agents who do not even sell Carnival anymore. The two issues are completely unrelated!

What is this supposed to mean. CSB is NOT a travel agent nor does she earn income as a travel agent. Carnival cuts to the travel agent community happened long before these latest incidents which lead to her comments.

There are a ton of travel agents who do not even sell Carnival anymore. The two issues are completely unrelated!

Are you saying Expedia doesn't make their money by bookings? Isn't CC just one HUGE booking aggregator?

Who pays for the content?

CC exists solely to drive traffic to the sites linked here.

Did anyone actually read what the Senator Rockefeller is say? Bloviating about "taxpayer" money being spent, et al .. I encourage you ALL to read it. IMHO, it's all about the money he is trying to squeeze, confiscate, fine, and otherwise "use his influence" in the gov't to steal from Carnival and the cruise industry in general. Then, I encourage you to read Mickey's answer to him, "as we have discussed before BEHIND CLOSED DOORS", that is not what you were saying privately, BEFORE ... and now the good Senator is trying more persuasive threats to get his hostage money from Carnival. Not to give to the good "taxpayers" ... or the Coast Guard. And then read the 10 PAGES back from Carnival with it's point by point answer. Carnival pays BILLIONS in taxes, port charges, etc., they create US jobs and he can quote the % of economic good Carnival specifically is doing for the US. AND any increases to that WILL be born by the vacationing/cruising taxpayer.

Some in our gov't have hidden agendas me thinks. If "we" the cruising taxpayer can afford to take a cruise vacation, it should cost us more in FEDERAL taxes to do that according to the good senator. And he will get some sort of new gov't office to share in that new found wealth that you and I just lost to him. Me, I had rather spend it myself on frivililous cruises to nowhere than give the good senator a nickle of my money .. if he wants to talk about "FAIR" but THAT'S just my OPINION.

Remind me too as I have no idea.:eek:

But truthfully, the presence or absence of mints was not the focus of the article.

It was asking if the editor of CC would recommend Carnival at this time.

And we got an answer for sure.

Well they'd better send some more cruise companies to Los Angeles/ Long Beach if she's recommending not cruising Carnival, because that's all we have!

Are you saying Expedia doesn't make their money by bookings? Isn't CC just one HUGE booking aggregator?

Who pays for the content?

CC exists solely to drive traffic to the sites linked here.

Nothing ... NOTHING is free on the net. Either the "user" pays a fee or the advertisers pay a fee to power all websites. CC is no different. The ads you see that have links to "other" sites they want you to visit for travel, etc. pay the most "per click" and per page view. Click thru's to other sites pay the most. Of course they want you to book with their providers. They get a page view, click thru and a cut of the booking if you come to their site to book directly from CC. In very simple terms, that's the way it works. Of course the business model is much more complicated ... in legal lawyer speak.

Did anyone actually read what the Senator Rockefeller is say? Bloviating about "taxpayer" money being spent, et al .. I encourage you ALL to read it. IMHO, it's all about the money he is trying to squeeze, confiscate, fine, and otherwise "use his influence" in the gov't to steal from Carnival and the cruise industry in general. Then, I encourage you to read Mickey's answer to him, "as we have discussed before BEHIND CLOSED DOORS", that is not what you were saying privately, BEFORE ... and now the good Senator is trying more persuasive threats to get his hostage money from Carnival. Not to give to the good "taxpayers" ... or the Coast Guard. And then read the 10 PAGES back from Carnival with it's point by point answer. Carnival pays BILLIONS in taxes, port charges, etc., they create US jobs and he can quote the % of economic good Carnival specifically is doing for the US. AND any increases to that WILL be born by the vacationing/cruising taxpayer.

Some in our gov't have hidden agendas me thinks. If "we" the cruising taxpayer can afford to take a cruise vacation, it should cost us more in FEDERAL taxes to do that according to the good senator. And he will get some sort of new gov't office to share in that new found wealth that you and I just lost to him. Me, I had rather spend it myself on frivililous cruises to nowhere than give the good senator a nickle of my money .. if he wants to talk about "FAIR" but THAT'S just my OPINION.

Carnival doesn't pay billions in US taxes. It pays relatively little. There is a 1/4 of 1 percent tax on cruise fares. Beyond that because its an off-shore corporation with foreign flagged ships it pay no or extremely little income tax. It does pay port taxes and fees but these are paid to local authorities and by law can only be for the actual cost of using the dock space and port(this is in the US Constitution) in the US. Foreign ports can do whatever they want and the money goes there. Most of its employees on ships are not US citizens so they pay no US income taxes either. The call center-if in the US- and home office employees do as any employee pay US taxes.

One of the reasons Cruise lines don't want a change in the PVSA(passenger vessel services act- jones act for cruise ships) is that they believe probably rightfully that any lessening of the restrictions on foreign flagged vessels transporting people between US ports will come with more taxes and more restrictions...

posted by FYI

NEWORLEANSCRUISER1

One of the secrets to Arison's wealth is that his cruise line, Carnival, according to NBC News, paid around 0.6% in taxes at the federal, state, local and international levels over the past 5 years

Did you read the letter?

He was referring to the Cruise industry as a whole. And it's hundreds of millions - not BILLIONS. :rolleyes:

Please. You can spend your life in your little fantasy world but the rest of us prefer Kansas, not your OZ.:rolleyes:

Carnival doesn't pay billions in US taxes. It pays relatively little. There is a 1/4 of 1 percent tax on cruise fares. Beyond that because its an off-shore corporation with foreign flagged ships it pay no or extremely little income tax. It does pay port taxes and fees but these are paid to local authorities and by law can only be for the actual cost of using the dock space and port(this is in the US Constitution) in the US. Foreign ports can do whatever they want and the money goes there. Most of its employees on ships are not US citizens so they pay no US income taxes either. The call center-if in the US- and home office employees do as any employee pay US taxes.

One of the reasons Cruise lines don't want a change in the PVSA(passenger vessel services act- jones act for cruise ships) is that they believe probably rightfully that any lessening of the restrictions on foreign flagged vessels transporting people between US ports will come with more taxes and more restrictions...

posted by FYI

NEWORLEANSCRUISER1

One of the secrets to Arison's wealth is that his cruise line, Carnival, according to NBC News, paid around 0.6% in taxes at the federal, state, local and international levels over the past 5 years

http://skift.com/2013/04/03/carnival-tells-senator-it-has-no-intent-to-pay-for-triumph-rescue/

I really enjoyed reading the 10 pages below the article referenced above. Like most people, I only had a vague idea of how the cruise industry works. And, I don't blame them for not wanting more US meddling in their business or paying US income taxes either. Carnival knows "we" would just squander and use the income tax to study the sex habits of snails. Carnival figures, like I do, I can find ways to spend MY money that is much more beneficial to me.

The more Carnival has to pay in stupid US fines, taxes, etc. the more the CRUISING taxpayer will have to pony up. I know people are thinking that Carnival is cutting back, how else could they keep their prices relatively LOW and provide us all with affordable vacations in this economy. The way they do it is by being SMART enough not to let the US Federal Gov't get their hands in the pot. Sorry, but I applaud and support their business model.

http://skift.com/2013/04/03/carnival-tells-senator-it-has-no-intent-to-pay-for-triumph-rescue/

I really enjoyed reading the 10 pages below the article referenced above. Like most people, I only had a vague idea of how the cruise industry works. And, I don't blame them for not wanting more US meddling in their business or paying US income taxes either. Carnival knows "we" would just squander and use the income tax to study the sex habits of snails. Carnival figures, like I do, I can find ways to spend MY money that is much more beneficial to me.

The more Carnival has to pay in stupid US fines, taxes, etc. the more the CRUISING taxpayer will have to pony up. I know people are thinking that Carnival is cutting back, how else could they keep their prices relatively LOW and provide us all with affordable vacations in this economy. The way they do it is by being SMART enough not to let the US Federal Gov't get their hands in the pot. Sorry, but I applaud and support their business model.

I respectfully disagree. Taxes are what we all pay for our military, schools, roads and etc. This me me me society is causing lots of problems for us. I just finished doing my taxes. I pay a 25% in federal taxes. Carnival as any corp does should pay taxes on its income(about 8% net) so if they were charged a 2% excise tax on all cruises sold to American nationals it would be the same 25 % on net income. All corps should pay a minimum on the income they derive from US nationals(includes citizens and permanent residents). I think most of us who of course would pay the tax and can afford to cruise could live with that. No one "likes" taxes. No one said you have to like it either.

But then again I like my roads and my schools and our military....and if Carnival and all the corps were paying their fair share maybe my taxes would go down.

and while I don't like paying for snails, the internet and gps are direct out growths of DARPA spending that didn't have a specific goal and who knows maybe snails will lead to a cure for stupidity( I am not calling you stupid just had to come up with somethng)..or something really important.

She is certainly entitled to her own opinion, but I do not find it telling at all. She is one of the last people I would take advice from about cruising. I have seen her unprofessional and badly written stories get posted on cruise critic and I have to wonder if there is even any editing that takes place before hand. Just because she goes on a lot of cruises does not make her some kind of cruise "expert" who would influence my vacation choices.

Ouch:eek:

It is obvious that you have never taken a class in economics. This is not a lemonade stand, it is a corporation. They can't raise prices simply because the market won't allow it. Extra taxes placed on CCL would simply cut down on profits.

It is very, very stupid to think that Carnival (or any other cruise line) tries to keep prices down. They try to sell cabins for as much as the market will allow.

Currently, the market thinks that funships are now slumships; CCL is a crappy cruiseline. Because of this, they have to cut cabin prices to sail full. To maintain profits, they have to cut, cut , cut on expenses. This is explains the fast downward spiral of CCL.

People will always say that a CCL cruise is the same price or cheaper than one 15 years ago, but they neglect the fact that it is a much different product.

There are a lot of vacation options and if people think cruising to expensive, they'll take up land vacations, just as they did twenty years ago.

It is obvious that you have never taken a class in economics. This is not a lemonade stand, it is a corporation. They can't raise prices simply because the market won't allow it. Extra taxes placed on CCL would simply cut down on profits.

It is very, very stupid to think that Carnival (or any other cruise line) tries to keep prices down. They try to sell cabins for as much as the market will allow.

Currently, the market thinks that funships are now slumships; CCL is a crappy cruiseline. Because of this, they have to cut cabin prices to sail full. To maintain profits, they have to cut, cut , cut on expenses. This is explains the fast downward spiral of CCL.

People will always say that a CCL cruise is the same price or cheaper than one 15 years ago, but they neglect the fact that it is a much different product.

There are a lot of vacation options and if people think cruising to expensive, they'll take up land vacations, just as they did twenty years ago.

I am new here but it seems that after this article from the "editor" that Cruise Critic can now refer to itself as an impartial cruise site. It obviously is not.

I am new here but it seems that after this article from the "editor" that Cruise Critic can now refer to itself as an impartial cruise site. It obviously is not.

I won't go that far but the quoted statements from CSB do seem somewhat too strong for an editor to make.

It's funny... RCCL stock is running about the same as Carnival, much less volume though. It doesn't look like they've gotten much of a boost from Carnival's woes. Just a bit of a blip. Maybe investors aren't hot on future growth in the cruise industry.

I respectfully disagree. Taxes are what we all pay for our military, schools, roads and etc. This me me me society is causing lots of problems for us. I just finished doing my taxes. I pay a 25% in federal taxes. Carnival as any corp does should pay taxes on its income(about 8% net) so if they were charged a 2% excise tax on all cruises sold to American nationals it would be the same 25 % on net income. All corps should pay a minimum on the income they derive from US nationals(includes citizens and permanent residents). I think most of us who of course would pay the tax and can afford to cruise could live with that. No one "likes" taxes. No one said you have to like it either.

But then again I like my roads and my schools and our military....and if Carnival and all the corps were paying their fair share maybe my taxes would go down.

and while I don't like paying for snails, the internet and gps are direct out growths of DARPA spending that didn't have a specific goal and who knows maybe snails will lead to a cure for stupidity( I am not calling you stupid just had to come up with somethng)..or something really important.

So when I visit the Eiffel Tower, France owes the US taxes on my ticket? Should US businesses be obligated to send taxes to Japan, Germany, India based upon what their citizen's spend over here?

So when I visit the Eiffel Tower, France owes the US taxes on my ticket? Should US businesses be obligated to send taxes to Japan, Germany, India based upon what their citizen's spend over here?

if it was owned by a multinational it might but we digress. this is a corp based in the US owned mostly by US nationals selling their product through mostly US Ta's. It should pay taxes on income derived from US nationals...or by using an excise tax to do the same thing. Should they pay for the use of the coast guard? there is a whole thread on that. BTW when you visit the Eiffel tower you pay significant value added taxes...an excise tax.

Impartial doesn't mean they don't have opinions (ever notice how newspapers endorse political candidates?) that sway one way or another. It means that they do not allow the cruiselines to 'buy' their voice.

So RCCL didn't pay her to say that, she came about the opinion on her own. And based on her relationship with Princess, clearly she has nothing against Carnival Corporaton, merely that she cannot in good faith endorse Carnival Cruise Lines right now.

It's still an impartial decision if she came to it on her own.

Archived