Cruise Critic Editor Recommends NOT to Cruise Carnival

MrPete

Is that so? Thanks for the recommendation of the editor, and thanks for pointing that out! I think the next time I vote, I'll use his recommendation!

That's good, cause the editor is a she.

While I agree that Carnival is way overdue for a number of things, including ramping up their maintenance/drydock schedule, and that the "Beards", as JH likes to call the head people at Carnival, need to re-think most, if not all, of their cutbacks, I'm not quite ready (yet) to kick the dog while it's down. We've got a cruise booked on Liberty for this coming May, and we're really looking forward to it (also hoping Grand Turk is re-opened by then). After that, I'm not quite sure who we'll cruise with next. At this point, we're in a "wait and see" mode.

What 2 ships were pulled and put in extended dry dock?

Carnival Triumph, which was supposed to return soon from the engine room fire repairs, now will not be back until June 3, with a total of 10 additional cruises canceled.

Carnival Sunshine, which is undergoing a huge makeover in Italy. It was to be introduced with great fanfare in April. Now, its first two cruises have been canceled for "implementation of the enhanced operating redundancies and other measures." The Sunshine will start cruising May 5.

Quoted from the review:

Wait! Carnival said two and a half years ago after the Splendor that they were doing an internal investigation. And we never heard anything! So they have a second incidence that is very similar, and now oh, we’re going to do another investigation? Well, what happened to the first one?

Isn't that the point of an internal investigation? Why do customers think they are entitled to be included in all parts of a business?

Quoted from the review:

Isn't that the point of an internal investigation? Why do customers think they are entitled to be included in all parts of a business?

As MEN IN HATS would say, S A F E T Y.

"They cut back on mints on the pillows; "

NO MINTS ON THE PILLOWS ????? That's it - I'm done. I can't cruise if they don't put mints on the pillows! :D

Someone once asked me if I liked camping. I told them that my idea of roughing it was staying in a hotel where they don't put a chocolate on the pillow - guess I'll be roughing it on my next cruise :cool:

NO MINTS ON THE PILLOWS ????? That's it - I'm done. I can't cruise if they don't put mints on the pillows! :D

Someone once asked me if I liked camping. I told them that my idea of roughing it was staying in a hotel where they don't put a chocolate on the pillow - guess I'll be roughing it on my next cruise :cool:

We had chocolates on our pillows in February...did this change in the past few weeks?

Hmmmm.....we were just on the Liberty in January and will be on the Splendor in 13 days (it being our 6th Carnival cruise). We have had 5 tremendous cruises with Carnival and will not be changing lines unless we have a crummy cruise. If it isn't broken, we're not fixing it. I know what to expect with Carnival and we enjoy it and we love the price.

The Triumph of course, and the debut of the Sunshine was delayed so that it could get the same improvements to the electric distribution system that the Triumph is getting.

Right, I was fully aware of the situations with the Triumph and planned modifications of the Destiny/Sunshine when I asked the question. But neither ship was "pulled" from service the way this well written article implied. Was each ships expected dry dock time extended, obviously it was. I felt all along the Destiny's time in dry dock would be extended regardless of the fallout from the Triumph incident. And Triumph, well it was broke, damn that Carnival for not giving an EXACT time for when it would be returned to service. I'll let all the Carnival detractors point out why that paragraph was spot on, along with the rest of that useless article.

First, it was the DOD glasses changing to boring regular glasses and now this!!:eek: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm mad as heck (can we say heck on CC) and I'm not going to take it anymore!! :mad: Except in August when I'm on the Pride....I'll take it then.:p:D

We had chocolates on our pillows in February...did this change in the past few weeks?

No, awhile ago a ship didn't receive its shipment so sailed without them. CCers on the cruise complained about a cutback.

Any chance the original date on this article was 1 April?

Archived