Cruise Critic Editor Recommends NOT to Cruise Carnival

MrPete

So sick of the Carnival bashing on CC and elsewhere!

I can tell you that we have had many more issues on other cruise lines and disappointments with service and quality on those other cruise lines too.

I have always enjoyed the discussions here, but agree with the one poster who says they detect a war between CCL and Carnival....

I know none of you will miss me if I leave, but the negativity and lies/exaggerations are spoilers for me.

Carnival canceled one of my cruises and I booked 3 more Carnival cruises.

So?

Let me try to read between the lines, you think the editor has damaged her credibility as she made a few mis-statements (chocolate, etc), but you dont think Carnival's credibility is damaged based on all the issues of late?

Ah....the TMZ of CC strikes again. Pls get this person a monogrammed stick for the pots he/she is stirring. :-)

Simply cannot even consider this article if the author/editor cannot use simple grammar.

As for the content....there are some glaring issues:

"they’ve cut back on a live band on the sun deck"....err, this is the lido, yes?

"Carnival actually changed their drydock policy so they could get more time in the water with these older ships"....it's a dry dock, why reference to water?

"Carnival said two and a half years ago after the Splendor that they were doing an internal investigation. And we never heard anything! So they have a second incidence that is very similar, and now oh, we’re going to do another investigation? Well, what happened to the first one?" Well, internal means internal.

"If they had just had done the proper maintenance in the first place, Carnival wouldn’t need to be spending all this money."....that's pretty accusatory without any substance.

Nothing shocking, unfortunately.

So?

Let me try to read between the lines, you think the editor has damaged her credibility as she made a few mis-statements (chocolate, etc), but you dont think Carnival's credibility is damaged based on all the issues of late?

Not at all.

Bookings are off on all mass market cruise lines.

Oh boy Carinval Triumph has broken loose from dock in Mobile Alabma with crew members allegedly reported being in the water?

They need new managment, trainers, and accountability procedures!!!

http://www.wkrg.com/story/21872087/breaking-carnival-triumph-breaks-loose-from-dock

Triumph is in the care and control of the repair contractor at the moment I would think.

I know of some who keep the chocolates for themselves and claim they were missing. The wrapper may have changed, but not the contents.

The chocolates have changed. They used to have a slight mint flavor, now they don't. (We had some of the old ones to compare the new ones to). I personally like the new ones better. The new ones also have a slightly different texture.

The person who originally complained about the missing mints on their cruise and started this rumor of no more mints are lucky they weren't on Inspiration at the end of March. Guest Services had no playing cards.:eek: And in Jan/Feb, the Inspiration didn't have pens. (The shipments hadn't come in).:eek:

Is that so? Thanks for the recommendation of the editor, and thanks for pointing that out! I think the next time I vote, I'll use his recommendation!

WISH SHE HAD SPOKE UP BEFORE I THREW MONEY OUT THE WINDOW FOR SIX CABINS ON LAST WEEKS LIBERTY CRUISE thx

Triumph is in the care and control of the repair contractor at the moment I would think.

it is that is why I edited my comment ...you just caught me in edits...

but in general they need to take a hard look at current managment.....maybe it is time for a new crew sitting in the big offices.....somewhere there is no accountability.....it takes something big like these recent isssues to bring it to light???.... I feel sorry for all those that are collateral damange from their decisions.....

it is that is why I edited my comment ...you just caught me in edits...

but in general they need to take a hard look at current managment.....maybe it is time for a new crew sitting in the big offices.....somewhere there is no accountability.....it takes something big like these recent isssues to bring it to light???.... I feel sorry for all those that are collateral damange from their decisions.....

ya think? i just went over to the brand ambassadors fb page for some information and he's posted an immature picture of himself flipping the bird.

As MEN IN HATS would say, S A F E T Y.

WOW, this comment completely re-colors my opinion of comments by MrPete as entirely unreliable.

MrPete was replying to a poster who asked why some CCers seem to think they have a right to be included in all parts of a business, including INTERNAL reports.

Well, releasing all internal documents can certainly lead to reduction in safely rather than enhancement, as anyone involved in big business would know. The problem with not having procedures for business confidentiality, such as internal reports, is that employees will be hesitant to say or write what they really would like to say or write if they have to take into account that it will be subject to public scrutiny. Even fairly tame comments will not be made if the commentator fears an outsider could misinterpret his comment.

So answering a question about internal documents with the single response "safety" is very unknowledgeable, very naive, or very disingenuous. None of these inspire much confidence in MrPete.

Not a big deal when she has made false statements. That takes away from any credibility she might have had to start with. Chocolates are still there, the Splendor and Triumph fires were different and not related at all like she implies, the Triumph was dry docked, but the Destiny/Sunshine was already there so there was no surprise dry dock there, nor was it pulled from service.

I do find that CC is sort of jaded and not particularly supportive of Carnival, that's all true. What I find wrong with this article (and probably the editor, although I am basing MO on just this one article), that as an editor, she may have a YELLOW BIAS but she is mostly just a LAZY JOURNALIST. Giving her the benefit of the doubt here and trying to be kind. I think as restitution she should be required to write 10 positively UPLIFTING and truly INVESTIGATIVE articles that SHE did not the work on her self and not just grabbed bits and pieces and made things up.

No chocolate .. that must have been because the pots that cooked the chocolate in the boiler room ran over and got scorched and unusable? shesh!

ya think? i just went over to the brand ambassadors fb page for some information and he's posted an immature picture of himself flipping the bird.

Classic

Nothing to see here move along

lol when one flips the bird you know it hit a nerve

It is a picture of his hand holding a chocolate... on his middle finger. I see his tattle tales are still hard at work though.

It is a picture of his hand holding a chocolate... on his middle finger. I see his tattle tales are still hard at work though.

it made me laugh and certainly shows that the information of chocolate not being available to be false.

I guess I find it hard to take issue with her conclusion about sailing Carnival, which is, "I would prefer not to and I certainly wouldn’t recommend that our readers do it at this point. There are a lot of choices out there that are not having the same problems."

You can't debate her stated preference. It is what she says it is. On her second point, I think her logic is sound. You have one cruise line that is routinely having high profile problems with various ships and other cruise lines that aren't. Why pick the one of many that is having all the problems?

If you're a Carnival enthusiast and their value for the dollar is a perfect fit for you, then you'll probably keep sailing Carnival. But if you're a first timer or you're someone who has always felt that Carnival is maybe a "best match", but not a "perfect match" for what you want, then now is probably the time to try another cruise line.

CC provides a service to its readers. It doesn't owe any loyalty, on behalf of the posters on one board, to any particular cruise line. It his her job to call it as she sees it. I take no issue with her use of the generic term "sun deck" any more than I'm sensitive to referring to "guest services".

We're planning a trip to Florida in the summer. We considered including a cruise in our plans, but with all the problems Carnival has been having, I think I would have felt less enthusiastic about looking forward to the trip. We'll be spending a week in the Bahamas instead. We also just came back from an all-inclusive in Mexico. It was my first time at an AI and I loved it. It was relaxing and easy, although I'll freely admit that there was almost no element of "adventure", which is important to me in vacation planning. I wouldn't want too many "easy" vacations too close together. As long as I sail on different cruise ship classes, from different ports and to different destinations, I think the adventure of a cruise will always outdo the adventure of an AI. But if taking a cruise ever becomes so routine that the adventure is gone, then it will lose its appeal compared to the AI.

I didn't know Pete Greenberg was a cruise critic editor?! I thought it was Ms. Brown. This guy is a contributor to CNN, who glorifies cruise lines on one hand, and bashes them on the other, depending on who's paying him at the time. The last two cruises I have been on have had chocolates, one was minty, and the other just milk chocolate. At the end of the cruise, I had a desktop full, ate maybe two or three on the last night while packing, and the rest I guess was thrown in the trash. Who cares about mints on the pillows?!?!?!

it made me laugh and certainly shows that the information of chocolate not being available to be false.

It's bridging a common tactic to change the direction or subject

It's not about mints its about an editor of a travel site say do not cruise carnival at this time

The are many choices out there that are not having issues

Bridging 101. Every pr / marketing / even trial lawyers use it

Carnival will survive, just as Cruise Critic survived when we went thru months of their website not working and them denying there was any problem. When CSB calls Carnival wanting information of one sort or another she shouldn't be surprised if they don't take her calls.

Get a sense of humor. For pete's sake none of the problems have anything to John Heald. CCL Mgmt needs to put it together, though.

Archived