Cruise Critic Editor Recommends NOT to Cruise Carnival

MrPete

Unfortunately in the summer months, the only 2 choices are CCL or RCL. Thank goodness Princess is coming to FLL next summer. We need more choices. Now if we could only convince Celebrity to come to FL for the summer ;)

It's about time someone grew some kohinkydinks and said what most people with common sense are saying.

Now let me see, cruise line with lots of maintenance problems or another which stays out if the news? Not a tough call......even another Carnival-owned cruise line like Princess for example. How many times have they hit the news recently?

For example, I will not cruise on Cunard's queens or certain Celebrity ships because of the azipods. A certain manufacturer has a design failure and these azipods have and will continue to fail. Easy to monitor and fix but the ship has to cancel a cruise. The now can try to coincide with yard work but if you are not lucky one time----you stay home I instead.

It's easy, choose someone else.

Bravo for the common sense suggestion'

If you want variety, NCL is coming to Miami next year with their new Getaway. Not a CCL or any line cheerleader, but I do find it somewhat amusing that a CC Editor recommends people not sail CCL at this time. Granted, this is a free site for the users(revenue comes from cruise lines), but it would seem that one would not want to jeopardize revenues.:confused:

What 2 ships were pulled and put in extended dry dock?

If that were true, Triumph could not possibly have broken free. ;)

I'm not aware that the editor ever has recommended Carnival. I always thought I detected a built-in bias. :confused:

As for CNN, we all know how they latched onto Carnival, sensationalized the heck out of it, just to improve their sagging ratings.

Another post update on NEW Carnival mismanagement.

Would have to be BLIND not to recognize the corporate mistakes that WILL cost Carnival millions in attempt to recover their customer-loving image. And to do that, unfortunately....will take such a LONG period of time. This money-saving attitude no doubt comes from the very top down IMHO.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/carnival-triumph-breaks-loose-dock-alabama-shipyard-1C9201251

Carnival canceled one of my cruises and I booked 3 more Carnival cruises.

You are lucky you can just go ahead & book another cruise. Many people could not reschedule vacation time with their employer or change flight arrangements. Nearly 18% of Carnival cruises have been canceled March through June, withour the latest damage to the Triumph.

I get better odds vacationing in Vegas.

My last cruise was with Carnival on their newest ship. Loved the Breeze, but I was not impressed with the attitude toward safety & security.

Would have to be BLIND not to recognize the corporate mistakes that WILL cost Carnival millions in attempt to recover their customer-loving image. And to do that, unfortunately....will take such a LONG period of time. This money-saving attitude no doubt comes from the very top down IMHO.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/carnival-triumph-breaks-loose-dock-alabama-shipyard-1C9201251

So now management is responsible for the weather? Cruise ships do sometimes break free. It is one of the reasons officers are ALWAYS on the bridge when a ship is in service.

You are lucky you can just go ahead & book another cruise. Many people could not reschedule vacation time with their employer or change flight arrangements. Nearly 18% of Carnival cruises have been canceled March through June, withour the latest damage to the Triumph.

My last cruise was with Carnival on their newest ship. Loved the Breeze, but I was not impressed with the attitude toward safety & security.

Yes, I am lucky to be unemployed. :rolleyes:

The chocolates have changed. They used to have a slight mint flavor, now they don't. (We had some of the old ones to compare the new ones to). I personally like the new ones better. The new ones also have a slightly different texture.

The person who originally complained about the missing mints on their cruise and started this rumor of no more mints are lucky they weren't on Inspiration at the end of March. Guest Services had no playing cards.:eek: And in Jan/Feb, the Inspiration didn't have pens. (The shipments hadn't come in).:eek:

I still do. We can compare on Carnival Legend. :)

A bit too much fluff in that article. Not much substance. Yapping about things that people are yapping about. That's not very informative, simply restating things that have been said here over and over again.

I do believe that is the first news story I have seen that did not try and attempt to tie the missing workers that went into the water with the Triumph breaking free. I am sure the 2 will now be intertwined for many casual and future first time cruisers.

I think it is extremely unprofessional for CSB as editor of Cruise Critic to go on record and recommend that people do not cruise on Carnival. She more than anyone else should be educated enough about cruising to realize it is still extremely safe whether the cruise is on Carnival, RCCL, or even Costa. Instead of feeding into hype and media hysteria, she should be explaining the overwhelming statistics that prove cruising is safe. And to add insult to injury what she said about the "cutbacks" was just plain wrong information. Carnival continues to give chocolates with turn down service. I honestly never put much in the "editing" of Cruise Critic, but this really surprised me.

This number cannot be correct. The Sunshine had 2 cruises cancelled and the Dream had 1 cruise cancelled. The Triumph did have a lot of cruises cancelled, but the Triumph is only 4-5% of their fleet.

How did you figure 18%??

I think it is extremely unprofessional for CSB as editor of Cruise Critic to go on record and recommend that people do not cruise on Carnival. She more than anyone else should be educated enough about cruising to realize it is still extremely safe whether the cruise is on Carnival, RCCL, or even Costa. Instead of feeding into hype and media hysteria, she should be explaining the overwhelming statistics that prove cruising is safe. And to add insult to injury what she said about the "cutbacks" was just plain wrong information. Carnival continues to give chocolates with turn down service. I honestly never put much in the "editing" of Cruise Critic, but this really surprised me.

HAve you ever read the About Us page on Cruise Critic which is owned by Expedia?

Editorial Disclaimer

At Cruise Critic we aim to provide balanced, unbiased reporting and take our journalistic credibility seriously. It is central to the aim of the site to provide you, the reader, with an accurate and reliable resource on all aspects of cruising, and we do so by pairing our editorial content with thousands of reviews from our members of the site. Cruise Critic accepts advertising, but it remains strictly impartial from an editorial standpoint -- something which is made clear to all advertisers.

CSB is entitled to her opinion but the fact remains that is very telling that she is recommending not to sail on Carnival.

HAve you ever read the About Us page on Cruise Critic which is owned by Expedia?

Really?

As I understand it, TripAdvisor, owned by Expedia, bought CruiseCritic and more (not really unusual, for cruise boards to be owned by corporations).

I thought I read Expedia spun either both and/or one off. I'm not sure why, but will leave that up for speculation among the conspiracy theorists. :D

Really?

As I understand it, TripAdvisor, owned by Expedia, bought CruiseCritic and more (not really unusual, for cruise boards to be owned by corporations).

I thought I read Expedia spun either both and/or one off. I'm not sure why, but will leave that up for speculation among the conspiracy theorists. :D

I think the point was perhaps being a TA per say ;)

Like I've said before, cruise critic doesn't carry a lot of weight with me, since they are just as bad as reporting cruise news as CNN is; for instance, the delayed debarkations in Port Everglades that cruise critic says is only a Carnival problem. At this point, the only relevant thing about cruise critic are the forums.

If bookings are down among all of the mainstream cruise lines (I have no way to know that personally) then I would suspect it is because of the bad press that CCL has gotten. I know that my non-cruising friends make reference to that when we talk about cruises (and they had been open to cruising before, but are not interested now).

CSB is entitled to her opinion but the fact remains that is very telling that she is recommending not to sail on Carnival.

She is certainly entitled to her own opinion, but I do not find it telling at all. She is one of the last people I would take advice from about cruising. I have seen her unprofessional and badly written stories get posted on cruise critic and I have to wonder if there is even any editing that takes place before hand. Just because she goes on a lot of cruises does not make her some kind of cruise "expert" who would influence my vacation choices.

Archived