Carnival Triumph Breaks Loose From Moorings in Shipyard

LauraS

Very sad, I feel for the missing mans family.

Breaking free from the moorings should not happen, I've experienced similar situations on similar sized ships, but have always managed to recover the situation with prompt action, despite the parting of lines of wires. Essentially when adverse weather is expected, additional lines need to be put in place, engines and thrusters on immediate standby and tugs in place if necessary, but due to cost some ships are nervous to make this decision early on. Final option is to put to sea if possible and ride out the weather.

There is a common theme in a lot of cruise related incidents recently, and as racist as it sounds that theme is Italians. As pleasant as they are, I really don't think they belong on the bridges and engine rooms of ships, better in coffee shops and modelling magazines...

Poor Carnival can't seem to catch a break! I live in Mobile and the winds was realy bad today...some places reported 70mph winds. Not sure why or how it happened but its sad that it did. They showed pics on the news and it appears that she has suffered structure damage.

Breaking free from the moorings should not happen, I've experienced similar situations on similar sized ships, but have always managed to recover the situation with prompt action, despite the parting of lines of wires. Essentially when adverse weather is expected, additional lines need to be put in place, engines and thrusters on immediate standby and tugs in place if necessary, but due to cost some ships are nervous to make this decision early on. Final option is to put to sea if possible and ride out the weather.

There is a common theme in a lot of cruise related incidents recently, and as racist as it sounds that theme is Italians. As pleasant as they are, I really don't think they belong on the bridges and engine rooms of ships, better in coffee shops and modelling magazines...

Would the shipyard not have been responsible for maintaining the ship's mooring?

Italian maritime tradition goes back, way, way back. More than two thousand years. One may also want to recall the little ditty about 1492 as the principal was born in Italy.

Would the shipyard not have been responsible for maintaining the ship's mooring?

Italian maritime tradition goes back, way, way back. More than two thousand years. One may also want to recall the little ditty about 1492 as the principal was born in Italy.

I am not a fan of Carnival.

However in this case its NOT there fault. When in the shipyard, the responsibility for the safety of the vessel is the Shipyard, this include keeping the vessel alongside the pier.

Counting in scaffolding, that's about a $250,000 hole and dent.

AKK

ummmm....really? If it sounds racist why bother then? Holding back a further reply to your post.....

why did carnival not have tug boats next 2 there ship if they know there going 2 be 70 mph it 2013 not 1950

Why didn't they (or the dock owners) secure it with extra mooring lines, just as any yacht owner would do?

I am wondering whether the dock itself was not strong enough for a ship of that size in those conditions?

why did carnival not have tug boats next 2 there ship if they know there going 2 be 70 mph it 2013 not 1950

The weather forecast for here in Mobile was just for rain, not winds. I work one street over from the river. When I went to and from lunch there were no winds. The restaurant was overlooking the river and it was just raining a little. It was a freak thing described on our local weather this morning as a storm wake, like the wake behind a ship it is strong winds that develop behind a fast moving rain storm.

more pictures

http://interactives.fox10tv.com/photomojo/gallery/6771/133699/cruise-ship-on-the-loose/cruise-ship-on-the-loose/

also note that some of the originally reporting was wrong(which is to be expected in a breaking news story). In fact it almost always turns out that the initial reports are wrong.

As to whose fault it is, I personally would await the NTSB/USCG report. Its too early to either exonerate someone or place blame.

AKK when on a wet dock, the responsibility for the moorings would have been in the contract agreed between the yard and ship, I suspect the ship will have retained full responsibility for the moorings in this situation.

Good Day Sir!.

It is in the contract and the reason the shipyards takes responsibility is that the vessel usually has the plant down and/or under repair and does not have any power but electrical from shore. In addition there is limited or no crew onboard.

At least in all my shipyard periods, that has always been the case.

This doesn't mean that any crew onboard can sit back and do nothing, if they feel there will be a problem, they should be telling the yard they want more lines put out.

AKK

Can't say its the shipyard when the ship was on fire and cant go 2 any other ship yard why wasn't the anchor out.And this was the biggest cruise ship ever in this river the ship yard probably was not made for a ship that big. And any storm has wind don't take much. Again why was the anchor not out.

Can't say its the shipyard when the ship was on fire and cant go 2 any other ship yard why wasn't the anchor out.And this was the biggest cruise ship ever in this river the ship yard probably was not made for a ship that big. And any storm has wind don't take much. Again why was the anchor not out.

Well you can say its the shipyard, in that it would be by contract and it could have been towed to another port if the shipyard felt they could not handle the vessel of that size.

Of course, one thing you learn in the Maritime industry................is never......say never.....maybe in this case it was not in the contract, but all I have dealt with, it was in the contract, for the reasons I listed above.

I have no idea if the anchor or out or not..............remember the vessel would have very limited power, and while you can drop the anchor, you have to be able to raise it up again. The anchor out could have caused more problems then help.............the details may out in time.

AKK

I live in Mobile, but work in Fourchon, LA. I drove home yesterday and we had gust of 50+mph on the way home. Not sure what it was like in Mobile at the time of the accident.

As a few have said, shipyard take responsibility of vessel while it is at the dock being worked on. As for the anchor being out, after 20 years of working on the water, I have never seen a boat anchored at the dock. I have tied many boats up for hurricane force winds and have never lost one yet. Not sure why the dock workers failed to secure the vessel properly. News reports went out about a gaping hole in the stern. It looks more like a 20 foot long gash 7 floors above sea level to me. Hopefully Mobile will correct the problems at the shipyard and Carnival will reconsider using the port again.

There have been larger cruise ships in that dock for repairs before. NCL also uses them and in the last couple of years The Pearl or Gem was there and they are longer than the Triumph. It does make a difference that the Triumph was dead in the water. The upgrades on at least one of the Fantasy class ships was done in that dock as well so Carnival has used them in the past. I also have never seen an anchor used when it was tied to a dock.

It was just a freak storm and wind that wasn't forecast so they wouldn't have known that the potential was there for the ship to break free. I am sure that if there was a tropical storm or hurricane in the area that they would take other precautions.

it is extremely rare to use an anchor in any port. Anchors don't actually stop the ship just slow it down and the bottom of the harbor is no place to drag anything. Its the anchor and the chain that do it.

Some ports prohibit the use of an anchor by large ships as they have pipelines, electric lines and other things across the harbor...

AGAIN THAT WAS THE BIGGEST CRUISE SHIP EVER IN THAT RIVER. The NCL ship went into there dry dock they are smaller the triumph can't its 2 big 4 that that dry dock thats why its going 2 freeport in bahamas. A dead cruise ship is a Big sail boat dont take much to move it.

Archived