Carnival Triumph Breaks Loose From Moorings in Shipyard

LauraS

6 weeks tie to the same bollards it was breaking little by little they would have broke in time. cant put a ship wet dock 4 16 week and not have a rope or bollards break.

so if you have a differnt ship tie up everyday would that make a difference

The point remains valid jaydog, I've sailed as Deck Officer on similar size ships to the Triumph within another of the Carnival Corp brands, and still sail on passenger vessels as a 1st Officer, so have a reasonable idea of what I'm talking about.

Sir, he won't listen, he has been just commenting and begging for a fight on things he knows nothing about!:rolleyes:

AKK

the wind was coming from dead astern. I wonder if coming from that direction had something to do with it....(it being breaking the bollards off)...

the concrete should not disintegrate. design flaw.

sometimes ship just happens.

thanks DW Joe...interesting pictures

Maybe... The wind coming from astern is not how I would've pictured a ship breaking loose.

The only reference I can find to bollards breaking as a 2nd hand reference from a Mobile harbor pilot who said that the Triumph had difficulty returning to the pier b/c the bollards had broken. I consider that unconfirmed for now. Hopefully more info will come in.

"Yesterday at approximately 1:30 p.m., CDT, an unexpected weather event with high winds passed through our BAE Systems Mobile, Ala., shipyard and apparently caused the Triumph cruise ship and barges to break loose from their moorings and collide with the adjacent pier, causing it to collapse.

As a result of this accident, two of our employees who were on the pier fell into the water. One employee was rescued yesterday and treated for minor injuries, while the other remains missing.

The US Coast Guard and local emergency response personnel are fully engaged in this search and we continue to provide our full support following this tragedy. We are deeply appreciative of all of the dedication and hard work from each of the organizations and individuals involved.

Last night our senior leadership team arrived in Mobile and is spending time with the family and our employees as well as supporting the overall effort.

Our missing employee is John "Buster" Johnson, and he joined our team in 1997. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and our entire BAE Systems family during this difficult time."

http://www.wkrg.com/story/21881785/statement-from-bae-president-on-missing-man

"Yesterday at approximately 1:30 p.m., CDT, an unexpected weather event with high winds passed through our BAE Systems Mobile, Ala., shipyard and apparently caused the Triumph cruise ship and barges to break loose from their moorings and collide with the adjacent pier, causing it to collapse.

As a result of this accident, two of our employees who were on the pier fell into the water. One employee was rescued yesterday and treated for minor injuries, while the other remains missing.

The US Coast Guard and local emergency response personnel are fully engaged in this search and we continue to provide our full support following this tragedy. We are deeply appreciative of all of the dedication and hard work from each of the organizations and individuals involved.

Last night our senior leadership team arrived in Mobile and is spending time with the family and our employees as well as supporting the overall effort.

Our missing employee is John "Buster" Johnson, and he joined our team in 1997. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and our entire BAE Systems family during this difficult time."

http://www.wkrg.com/story/21881785/statement-from-bae-president-on-missing-man

I'm sorry, "apparently caused"???

I'm sorry, "apparently caused"???

That's what BAE said.

I'm more concerned with this part of the statement:

As a result of this accident, two of our employees who were on the pier fell into the water.

It suggests that the Triumph striking the pier caused the two employees to fall into the water, with one presumed fatality. OSHA has opened an investigation into the fatal incident so we will probably get definitive information at some point.

I live close enough to Mobile that two out of our three local news stations are WKRG and WALA both in Mobile. Each day they keep stating in their broadcasts that the guard shack and Triumph are NOT related they were two separate incidents that were on the same property. So no, in no way did the triumph drag the Guards into the river. Here are a few quotes with links from local sources.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/viewart/20130404/NEWS01/130404001/Worker-thrown-from-Mobile-dock-where-ship-Triumph-torn-loose

A second worker was rescued, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesman said. Aside from the weather, the two incidents were unrelated, the Coast Guard said. Both men work for BAE Systems, which runs the shipyard.

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/04/carnival_cruise_ship_triumph_b.html

In an unrelated incident, Mobile Fire-Rescue reported that a guard shack occupied by 2 BAE employees was blown into the water along the docks.

Please let this part of the incident be put to rest. You can speculate all you want

or need to about what happened with the bollards but at this point in time it is really not for us to comment on because all you are doing is speculating. There will be a thorough investigation but I can tell you this, this is not BAE's first rodeo handling large ships at that very port. They are a highly respected company worldwide. just my final two cents. RIP to Mr. Johnson.

Again you work 4 carnival thank you

jaydog, your factually incorrect & laughably nonexistent understanding of maritime issues has been conclusively proven several times over; further demonstration of your ignorance is unnecessary. Please troll elsewhere; I'm sure there is a board about Justin Beiber out there somewhere that would be just about your speed.

I live close enough to Mobile that two out of our three local news stations are WKRG and WALA both in Mobile. Each day they keep stating in their broadcasts that the guard shack and Triumph are NOT related they were two separate incidents that were on the same property. So no, in no way did the triumph drag the Guards into the river. Here are a few quotes with links from local sources.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/viewart/20130404/NEWS01/130404001/Worker-thrown-from-Mobile-dock-where-ship-Triumph-torn-loose

A second worker was rescued, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesman said. Aside from the weather, the two incidents were unrelated, the Coast Guard said. Both men work for BAE Systems, which runs the shipyard.

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/04/carnival_cruise_ship_triumph_b.html

In an unrelated incident, Mobile Fire-Rescue reported that a guard shack occupied by 2 BAE employees was blown into the water along the docks.

Please let this part of the incident be put to rest. You can speculate all you want

or need to about what happened with the bollards but at this point in time it is really not for us to comment on because all you are doing is speculating. There will be a thorough investigation but I can tell you this, this is not BAE's first rodeo handling large ships at that very port. They are a highly respected company worldwide. just my final two cents. RIP to Mr. Johnson.

Not sure why you would take the word of the local media over a statement released by BAE.

How strong was the concrete used .What size rebar was used in the concrete. What type of Pile were used. How far down did the pile go. How often do they check 4 cracks around this wet dock.

Is that Carnivals job or the Mobile Port Authority job:rolleyes:

Not sure why you would take the word of the local media over a statement released by BAE.

Personally, in order of more trusted: first responders, well sourced media, involved commercial enterprise.

How strong was the concrete used .What size rebar was used in the concrete. What type of Pile were used. How far down did the pile go. How often do they check 4 cracks around this wet dock.

They who?

When you park your car in a parking garage do you check the size of the rebar? Do you check for cracks?:rolleyes:

most ship have engine that work .most cruise ship go into dry dock not wet dock most cruise ship leave port when a storm is coming

When attempting to appear to be the ultimate expert on a particular topic it is always advisable to write in a manner that suggests you have advanced beyond first grade. Just sayin.

:D

Personally, in order of more trusted: first responders, well sourced media, involved commercial enterprise.

That's probably a good rule of thumb but I guess my point was how can you "put it to rest" as the commenter Beau222 put it, when there are conflicting reports and the investigation is still ongoing.

Archived