Carnival Triumph Breaks Loose From Moorings in Shipyard

LauraS

I simply cannot find a quote that indicates Triumph collided with a guard shack causing propelling two occupants into the water.

Mobile fire & rescue reports that the guard shack incident was unrelated to the Triumph breaking loose. The relevant para is in an article quoted by the link above:

Mobile Fire-Rescue tweeted the trouble shortly after 2 p.m. and said people who were working on the ship may be in the water. According to an update from the Mobile Fire-Rescue at 2:28 p.m., "one person recovered, 2nd missing after guard shack is blown in water. Cruise ship had nothing to do with incident."

6th paragraph:

"Erin Mosley, president of BAE Systems, in a statement earlier today, said Johnson and another employee were on a pier at the time that was hit by the Carnival Triumph cruise ship after it broke loose from its moorings. The vessel collided with the pier, Mosley said, resulting in the two employees falling into the water."

I'm hoping that the BAE president is simply wanting to shift the blame onto Triumph ... I'm hoping that the investigation (OSHA) finds that the cruise ship did not cause the employees to fall into the water....

THANK YOU broberts i know that. If the anchor was down the cruise ship would have not sailed a cross the river as fast as it did. And hit the ship. Tug boats could have been called before the ship hit that ship and there could have been more time 2 put the other anchor down . Back up would be the anchor if the lines broke that why you up back ups in place. or keep a tug boat there at all times CARNIVAL PUT THE DEAD ship there spend the money 4 a back up system.

Does a cruise ship weigh anchor when in port, at a pier?

THANK YOU broberts i know that. If the anchor was down the cruise ship would have not sailed a cross the river as fast as it did. And hit the ship. Tug boats could have been called before the ship hit that ship and there could have been more time 2 put the other anchor down . Back up would be the anchor if the lines broke that why you up back ups in place. or keep a tug boat there at all times CARNIVAL PUT THE DEAD ship there spend the money 4 a back up system.

Let see...tugboats run about $800.00 per hour, working or standing by..........you would need 2 tugboats so that's about $1600.00 per hour......or $38,4000 per day............or for the about 60 days in the yard, that's $2,304,000.

That's why you don't keep 2 boats there.

One or two anchors..........same problems.

AKK

6th paragraph:

"Erin Mosley, president of BAE Systems, in a statement earlier today, said Johnson and another employee were on a pier at the time that was hit by the Carnival Triumph cruise ship after it broke loose from its moorings. The vessel collided with the pier, Mosley said, resulting in the two employees falling into the water."

I'm hoping that the BAE president is simply wanting to shift the blame onto Triumph ... I'm hoping that the investigation (OSHA) finds that the cruise ship did not cause the employees to fall into the water....

Here is the full statement.

http://www.local15tv.com/mostpopular/story/Statement-from-BAE-Systems/MZjspF3QM0i3iereXjMfHQ.cspx

:rolleyes: I'm really curious to know how many "experts" on this and every other Triumph thread have actually owned and operated a boat. Some of the theories are quite entertaining.

Haha... great point! Everyone knows exactly what Carnival/BAE did wrong (within minutes of the incident), exactly how to secure a huge ship at dock, when to dry dock a ship, what port/ship yard is best for repairs needed, oh and they are highly trained weather experts as well.

I didn't know so many schools require that as basic classes? :rolleyes:

(And yes I know Carnival/BAE should know all this, I'm just pointing out how quick people are to correct a multi-million dollar industry with what they should of done.)

"coulda/shoulda/woulda"

If the winds were able to tear Triumph from its moorings I suspect any tug boats on station would have had to save themselves before being able to even consider engaging a loose, out of control vessel the size of Triumph.

Normal docking you do NOT lower a anchor.

PSST.....weight Anchor means to raise the anchor.

AKK

SHHHH;) the question was for the OP

They obviousily havnt been on a ship thats why I asked the question the way I did. If it gets lowered than it also gets raised:p

I also fully know anchors aweigh:o

It was confirmed today that the mooring lines DID NOT BREAK it was the actual concrete around the bollards that collapsed. There was an actual tug that happened to be right next to the ship and attempted to push it back but was unable and was actually squeezed between the two ships and sustained damage also.

The guard who was employed at the port for 18 years is still missing. Coast Guard has called off their search but the Sheriff is using Sonar still to try to find.

The Guard Shack he was in was in no way pulled in by the Triumph.

SO the cruise ship was to big 4 the wet dock that carnival just been cheap again.

6 weeks tie to the same bollards it was breaking little by little they would have broke in time. cant put a ship wet dock 4 16 week and not have a rope or bollards break.

Finally someone posting good sarcasm... I laughed so hard when I read these posts because there is absolutely no way they could be serious...

Stupid CCL keeps ship is US instead of Bahamas and people complain... At this point, people will complain about anything... There was an accident at a Carnival around here the other day, I wonder if it was CCL's fault.

the wind was coming from dead astern. I wonder if coming from that direction had something to do with it....(it being breaking the bollards off)...

the concrete should not disintegrate. design flaw.

sometimes ship just happens.

thanks DW Joe...interesting pictures

I'm trying to determine if jaydog is a troll or simply the world's dumbest maritime expert.

The nonsense is certainly entertaining, although difficult to decipher through the 3rd grade level of spelling and grammar.

Interesting that it seems to have been the bollards that failed as opposed to the lines; didn't that happen to Ecstasy in New Orleans several years ago?

If the winds were able to tear Triumph from its moorings I suspect any tug boats on station would have had to save themselves before being able to even consider engaging a loose, out of control vessel the size of Triumph.

No, cruise ships have a large windage area which makes them highly susceptible to any wind over 25 kts. The tugs have a high power ratio, and are low in the water, they would have assisted in holding the ship alongside.

Normal practice on a cruise ship, even in drydock, is for the bridge to be manned by an Officer of the Watch whose first actions should be to call the tugs via the port control.

I've been in a similar situation before, admitedly not in a dockyard, but in several ports in south america, and spent three hours on thrusters, engines and tugs just so that the pax could get back up the gangway and we could leave.

We don't know the facts in this situation, but certain brands of the Carnival Corporation seem to be having a lot more incidents then other brands....

6 weeks tie to the same bollards it was breaking little by little they would have broke in time. cant put a ship wet dock 4 16 week and not have a rope or bollards break.

hmm, the QE2 has been sat alongside in Port Rashid for over a year, through sandstorms and adverse weather, with the ropes exposed to the sun day in day out. I should go and tell them your advice.

Archived