Carnival Triumph Breaks Loose From Moorings in Shipyard

LauraS

What I read stated the Coast Guard said the missing man's accident was not related to the Triumph in any way but was in a guard building when he was blown overboard.

too early to tell...preliminary reports can be wrong. Some E-4 probably doesn't know either.

. Some E-4 probably doesn't know either.

A 2nd class Petty Officer is an E-5;)

All they need is a little bondo and some touch up paint and she will be as good a new:p

All they need is a little bondo and some touch up paint and she will be as good a new:p

You sound like you have spent some time patching boats. I've fix quite a few repairs using duct tape, bailing wire, and two part epoxy.

Very sad, I feel for the missing mans family.

There is a common theme in a lot of cruise related incidents recently, and as racist as it sounds that theme is Italians. As pleasant as they are, I really don't think they belong on the bridges and engine rooms of ships, better in coffee shops and modelling magazines...

I have no idea what you have against Italians nor do have any idea as to why you think Italians had anything to do with this incident......

You sound like you have spent some time patching boats. I've fix quite a few repairs using duct tape, bailing wire, and two part epoxy.

I was more of making a joke

But in the Navy, the things we learned to use, to plug a hole in the hull :eek:

I was more of making a joke

But in the Navy, the things we learned to use, to plug a hole in the hull :eek:

After years of commercial fishing then more years of working in the oil field I know exactly where you were coming from. :)

I have no idea what you have against Italians nor do have any idea as to why you think Italians had anything to do with this incident......

Just my experience working with Italian Officers on cruise ships, I personally haven't found any that I'm happy with on my bridge team, the way they work doesn't suit me, but then I am a believer in 100% focus on the job, it's not a hobby over an espresso.

BTW superficial damage is one thing but until they get a diver over the side and start the props they won't know if the damage is worse. The damage you see above the water line can be fixed by ship board personnel is they have to(Bondo a plate welded on). and won't effect its sea worthiness.

AGAIN THAT WAS THE BIGGEST CRUISE SHIP EVER IN THAT RIVER. The NCL ship went into there dry dock they are smaller the triumph can't its 2 big 4 that that dry dock thats why its going 2 freeport in bahamas. A dead cruise ship is a Big sail boat dont take much to move it.

The NCL ship was in the river to get to the drydock and it was longer than the Triumph. The Triumph is 893 ft long and the NCL ship of that class is 971 foot long. I pass that place every workday 2 times a day and I saw the ship there. It had to be in THE RIVER to get there.

1. As far as the wind, it was not only not forecast, but it was an extremely rare event known as a "wake low" - an area of low pressure that can trail a line of thunderstorms. The winds associated with this one were among the highest on record. Bad analogy: Think of it as a HUGE tornado that pops up in moments with no warning. I live an hour west of Mobile - it was almost dead calm right after the rain, and a few minutes later I couldn't get my front door open - winds of 50+ mph with gusts of at least 77 mph.

2. The 2 workers who were blown into the water in the shack were (according to Biloxi and Mobile stations based on info from the shipyard officials) 2 slips down from the Triumph, in NO way connected.

Such a tragedy ...

Coast Guard has suspended it's search for the missing employee - he is presumed dead.

OSHA will investigate ... however, the president of BAE Systems released a statement saying that the Triumph collided with the guard shack and caused it's two employees to fall into the water.

Click to read:

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/04/osha_investigating_wednesdays.html#incart_river_default

The carnival triumph grt 101509, lenght 893ft beam 116 ft passengers 2758, crew 1100,

ncl of that class grt 93558 ,lenght 965 ft , beam 106 ft passengers 2224 crew 1100 that makes the triumph much bigger ship that ncl class ships. Epic was never in that river

How can you not put the anchor down on a cruise ship that has no running engine. That has been in the longest wet dock on a cruise ship this size its been over 6 weeks now. Mooring can break at any time .If the ship had a running engine than i can see why there was no anchor. ITS 2013 THERE SHOULD BE A BACK UP SYSTEM PUT IN PLACE IF THE MOORING BREAK. What if there was a oil tanker that it hit and it leak.

Such a tragedy ...

Coast Guard has suspended it's search for the missing employee - he is presumed dead.

OSHA will investigate ... however, the president of BAE Systems released a statement saying that the Triumph collided with the guard shack and caused it's two employees to fall into the water.

Click to read:

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/04/osha_investigating_wednesdays.html#incart_river_default

I simply cannot find a quote that indicates Triumph collided with a guard shack causing propelling two occupants into the water.

Mobile fire & rescue reports that the guard shack incident was unrelated to the Triumph breaking loose. The relevant para is in an article quoted by the link above:

Mobile Fire-Rescue tweeted the trouble shortly after 2 p.m. and said people who were working on the ship may be in the water. According to an update from the Mobile Fire-Rescue at 2:28 p.m., "one person recovered, 2nd missing after guard shack is blown in water. Cruise ship had nothing to do with incident."

How can you not put the anchor down on a cruise ship that has no running engine. That has been in the longest wet dock on a cruise ship this size its been over 6 weeks now. Mooring can break at any time .If the ship had a running engine than i can see why there was no anchor. ITS 2013 THERE SHOULD BE A BACK UP SYSTEM PUT IN PLACE IF THE MOORING BREAK. What if there was a oil tanker that it hit and it leak.

In the narrow space of the slip, the anchor down would not do any good.........in order for the anchor to hold you need to run out as least 2 or 3 shots (180 to 270 feet) of chain. An anchor with the chain up and down would only drag.

However for discussion, lets say they somehow got the anchor down and the bow held off the dry-dock and the other cargo vessel.........what would have stopped the stern from swinging over?????.With the bow held up the stern would also swing harder, causing more damage.........In addition, with the anchor down it could easily made the vessel harder to handle and move by the tugboats......

As to a back up system.....in hindsight(20/20)....I don't think anyone would debate additional lines out would have been very helpful.

AKK

PS..............Cargo vessels rarely if ever go into a shipyard with a cargo (E.I. OIL) onboard. However it could have hit the bunker tanks.

Mooring a ship is not simply running a few lines between the ship and shore. Until the investigations are finished we won't know if the ship mooring was adequate for this apparently rare event or if equipment failure contributed - mooring posts being ripped out, etc.

Ignoring the question of it being allowed, simply dropping a single anchor is not going to achieve much. Properly laying an anchor actually requires a vessel that can maneuver. Besides which a single anchor would have had difficulty holding a ship with a 70 mph wind hitting it's (very roughly) 110,000 sq ft broadside.

This is the million dollar ? why is the ship not in any dry dock. Why did carnival not spend the money and tug the ship 2 any dry dock.

That is the million dollar question..........the answer is that the vessel did not need to be dry-docked to do the repairs needed.......Believe me when I say.....its VERY expensive to dry-dock a vessel, like 6 figures. Not to mention there is a vessel already in the dry-dock.

AKK

Mooring a ship is not simply running a few lines between the ship and shore. Until the investigations are finished we won't know if the ship mooring was adequate for this apparently rare event or if equipment failure contributed - mooring posts being ripped out, etc.

Ignoring the question of it being allowed, simply dropping a single anchor is not going to achieve much. Properly laying an anchor actually requires a vessel that can maneuver. Besides which a single anchor would have had difficulty holding a ship with a 70 mph wind hitting it's (very roughly) 110,000 sq ft broadside.

BINGO!, well said Sir!

THANK YOU broberts i know that. If the anchor was down the cruise ship would have not sailed a cross the river as fast as it did. And hit the ship. Tug boats could have been called before the ship hit that ship and there could have been more time 2 put the other anchor down . Back up would be the anchor if the lines broke that why you up back ups in place. or keep a tug boat there at all times CARNIVAL PUT THE DEAD ship there spend the money 4 a back up system.

Archived