Greatest Alaskan Souvenirs

joeandsue

In addition to the native Indian carved mask I mentioned in a much earlier post, another purchase that I made was a gold nugget pendent for DW. She loves it. It pays to shop around and of course negotiate, they have lots of room to move on this type of item. Like anything you buy in Alaska you are likely going to make your best deal later in the season.

I collect masks when we travel... a carved bear mask would be awesome. Could you share where you found yours???

Thanks

Two of the better native craft shops that I have found in Alaska are:

http://www.crazywolfstudio.com/ in Ketchikan

http://mtjuneautradingpost.com/ in Juneau

The Mt. Juneau Trading Post is particularly good with one of the largest inventories that I have seen anywhere.

http://arcticspiritgallery.com/ in Ketchikan is another good shop...but a little more gallery like in nature and pricing.

Thank you so much for these links! There are some beautiful pieces in these stores!

• 1 month later...

We have a beautiful (for display only- our choice...it works) Ulu knife, and Christmas ornaments from the various ports. As another poster said, our tree was REALLY full so we stopped putting up anything but ornaments that dealt with our travels...every Christmas season is a stroll down memory lane as we recall all the amazing trips we've been fortunate enough to take.

I also picked up an amazing mammoth ivory and ammolite necklace while at a jewelry shop in Carcross - plan on wearing that during our cruise back in August!:)

I collect masks when we travel... a carved bear mask would be awesome. Could you share where you found yours???

Thanks

As I recall we purchased it at one of the Russian Houses which I no longer see listed in Skagway. As I posted earlier, one of the finest native Indian shops I have seen any where in Alaska is the Mt. Juneau Trading Post on Franklin St. As you will be there late in the season don't be afraid to negotiate,......it's a long time until May.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone will say it is hokie, but the ice cream scoop we bought at the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan is the best one I've ever seen. We gave one to neighbors who kill ice cream scoops regularly and this has survived ever them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I got a native carve Ulu knife at the Potalch Park gift shop. If you go to Totem Bight Park make sure you go to the Potlach Park. [The parking lots adjoin] The gift shop there is very good. I was there in September and got my Ulu for half price. All of the gifts were on sale.

We found sale items in all of the shops. :D

Someone will say it is hokie, but the ice cream scoop we bought at the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan is the best one I've ever seen. We gave one to neighbors who kill ice cream scoops regularly and this has survived ever them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

You have caught my interest. What was unique about the ice cream scoop?

I buy Christmas ornaments at each port. I tried to find ornaments that had a design on them related to the excursion at that port or something we saw. For example, after a whale watching excursion I found an ornament with a whale on it, in Juneau we saw eagles everywhere so I bought an ornament with eagles painted on it. I write the date and places on the bottom of the ornaments. Every year it's so much fun to pull out my ornaments from years of memories from vacations and road trips!

I also try to buy a Christmas ornament from places we visit, but never thought to put the date on them.

I can recommend something NOT to get. I went into an artisan's shop and purchased a driftwood piece of art with a carved bird attached to it. Within a week of getting it home, I noticed dust all around the base of it...seems it had bugs in it! The entire, expensive, piece of art disintegrated considerably before I realized it was being eaten from the inside out.

Favorite items: spoons. I always collect a spoon on all my travels. It's small, fits easily into my luggage, and lists the place I've been. And of course my photos. I typically purchase a few t-shirts, too.

If you are in Anchorage on a summer weekend, then you can find locally made hand crafts and foods at the outdoor Market and Festival. We found nice hand-made ulus, Christmas tree ornaments, photographs, birch syrup, and other items.

• 2 weeks later...

When we went to Alaska in 2012 , hubby saw a life size cardboard Sarah Palin for sale in a gift shop... I think the price was 39.99... when we go back in September we will look for them. I said maybe he can buy one if they are on sale for $4.99 or less. Surely they will be clearing them out by now!...lol

We always purchase Christmas ornaments and shot glasses when we travel.

When we went to Alaska in 2012 , hubby saw a life size cardboard Sarah Palin for sale in a gift shop... I think the price was 39.99... when we go back in September we will look for them. I said maybe he can buy one if they are on sale for $4.99 or less. Surely they will be clearing them out by now!...lol

We always purchase Christmas ornaments and shot glasses when we travel.

I thought that it was just there so that you could hug her;), and have your photo taken with her.:)

john

We are back from our May trip and found a great Christmas store in Skagway where all the ornaments are made in Alaska. I did NOT want anything made in China. My friend and I bought an ornament design that had graced the White House tree.

Found great gloves (live in Chicago area) and wool socks in the Tongass Trading Post in Ketchikan. My adult kids were happy to get the socks.

Sue

We are back from our May trip and found a great Christmas store in Skagway where all the ornaments are made in Alaska. I did NOT want anything made in China. My friend and I bought an ornament design that had graced the White House tree.

Found great gloves (live in Chicago area) and wool socks in the Tongass Trading Post in Ketchikan. My adult kids were happy to get the socks.

Sue

The bottom floor of the Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan is devoted to souvenirs.

If you take the steps up to the second floor, you will be in the midst of a true outfitting store where the locals buy. The ulu knives are only $2.99 upstairs but don't have "Alaska" stenciled on them.

The $19.95 jackets downstairs are reversible - waterproof and fleece. My jackets have been going strong for five years now. They also have wildlife-pictured fleeces that are very warm and good for layering.

• 1 year later...
I brought back the following:

Several Ulu from Anchorage

Jewelry made by an Alaskan artist

Fabric kit for pillow from Denali

Yarn and more Yarn from Sea Side Yarns in Juneau... hand dyed and spun in Alaska

Handcrafted glacier soaps from Glacier Smoothies in Juneau

Children's books about Alaska written by Alaskan authors

Christmas ornaments made by Alaskan artists

And 2000 pictures and just as many memories!

I quote this one because of the Yarn -- which I plan to bring back MUCH with me! My question is...does yarn, or the other merchandise, have to be declared to Canadian customs at Vancouver to "carry them thru Canada" back to USA?

I quote this one because of the Yarn -- which I plan to bring back MUCH with me! My question is...does yarn, or the other merchandise, have to be declared to Canadian customs at Vancouver to "carry them thru Canada" back to USA?

Yes, it does. However your are permitted $800 worth each after away 7 days.....but it you were modestly over that amount CBSA tends to turn the other eye as it really is not worth their while to collect duty and taxes on a small amount of extra goods....plus it would be pretty mean of them to do so if an Oma & Opa are just passing through on their way back to US. Now this advice comes with my personal 30/30 guarantee (30 seconds or 30 feet whichever occurs first) as you can never second guess the CBSA officer who is going to interview you.

If anyone happens to be in Anchorage on Saturdays during the summer, there is a great local market directly across from the train station. Everything is Made in Alaska. We also had the best Alaskan salmon quesadillas there as well.

They have local musical groups preforming on their stage. It was a great way to spend a morning and supporting the local economy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

in other places. Just because you stop in Canada doesn't make a difference.

As for souveniers, we bought totem pole and wood magnets in Ketchican and a few local bar t shirts.

Well yes and no. If you are on a closed loop cruise from Seattle or San Francisco then the stop in Victoria is not a customs issue. However if your cruise ends in Vancouver then you will have to clear Canada customs and they do have the right to impose taxes and duties on amounts over $800 CAD.....that said if your purchases are moderately over that limit and you are heading directly back to the US they are likely going to turn a blind eye.

I had looked up Alaska artists and went to Annie Kaill's and visualized and then bought prints and had them sent home-not cheap, but on my walls and a reminder every day. The soap from Glacier smoothie soap smells great and they have some special prices for multiple. Sojo Cojo on Creek street has some unique Ray Troll t-shirts (a lot are unique and funny and playing on the salmon, etc. in Alaska.) I went to some of the city web sites and they often have sections about specialty shops. My favorite other than my prints is a whale tail necklace. It was not a cheap one, but I wear it very frequently.