MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

I just got off the Splendor this morning and I can tell you first hand, it was a great trip. There were no "drunks", most people were from NY, NJ and surrounding areas and the ship was never trashed. There were 1200 kids on board because it was spring break and it was still wonderful.

OK is it just some people, or are things really this bad? I think this was the first cruise out of NY, as someone said earlier, there would be some new staff....

FYI - I checked out that review - it was from one of the last legs of the Round the Horn trip - not a sailing from NY. Sounded like one of those people who is unhappy with everything. In their review of Nassau - they said go to Hawaii???? Very helpful - NOT!

I just got off the Splendor this morning and I can tell you first hand, it was a great trip. There were no "drunks", most people were from NY, NJ and surrounding areas and the ship was never trashed. There were 1200 kids on board because it was spring break and it was still wonderful.

We are sailing 5/17 & it sounds like we will be having a great trip...Thank you very much!

I feel bad for the Splendor. It is going to take a beating from the NY whining and grumbling crowd. Nothing worse than being on a cruise full of NYers, they trash the ship, get obnoxious and drunk(out of control drunk), and are never happy. The Poor poor Splendor, will need to be drydocked after NY.;)

I've been cruising out of NY for years and I've yet to have an experience even remotely similar to what you said.

We've sailed out of NY on Miracle and never saw any of the terrible things repo cruiser said. No obnoxious drunks and no ship trashing!! It was a great cruise:) Glad we'll be having Malcom again on 5/9, his woo hoo's can get annoying but all in all I think he's a fun guy!! I too read some bad reviews about the food and was getting kind of nervous, because we had similar experiences on Pride last yr. MDR was awfull compared to Miracle. I'm blocking out all the negativity and looking forward to a great cruise on a new ship, can't wait 1 more month yippee:D

Awesome! Glad to hear it! People who cruise out of NYC (and not all of them are NYers) are the BEST! :D

If you get a chance we love to hear what you thought about the ship.

There is a thread called All things Splendor, but most of the posts are old and all are from LA.

I thought I'd start a NY related one, since we will be sailing on her in June and I've been on a quest for info.

Things I've learned so far/questions I've gotten answers to ...

The Splendor has actual trays - not plates pretending to be trays - yay!

Go through the “secret doors” (all the way to the front of the ship, may be at the left or right side with or without high wind warning signs) on decks 6, 7, 9, or 10 and you’ll have the same view the captain has from the bridge.

Rotisserie has good food and plenty of tables.

They can cover the Lido pool in inclement weather and they show movies there with free popcorn.

The cover band is currently True Identity - who I have heard are very good!

There is both a Mongolian Wok and a Burrito Bar. Also Tandoor/Indian - but I wasn't as interested in that - might give it a try, I've heard the Naan is very good.

The Sushi Bar serves sushi - not the Tasting Menu thing!

The Deli has good paninis.

Everything is PINK! Looks kind of lavenderish in some pics. I like pink - I can deal :D

The Steak House is good, and I may need to make my reservations online before we go. If you did the Steak house was it difficult to get a reservation? Ahi Tuna Tartare is calling my name!

It has a Serenity area with a bar, but no pool and no hot tub.

The aft pool is Adults only.

The ship has a mini golf course - I love mini golf and it's such fun to play on the ship with the wind wrecking havoc!

You have to pay extra for the Thalassotherapy Pool and the special Spa rooms, unless you have a Spa cabin.

They do the bean bag game - Yay! They do not do the Horse Race thing :(

Malcolm "WooWoo" Burns is the CD, but Big Tex will sub while Malcolm is on vacation - late May early June. I thought we would have Big Tex on the 6/10 sailing but John Heald said, we would have Malcolm. I've had him before, guess I will have to prepare myself to be "Wooed" :p

-----------------------------------------------------------

Things I would still like to know ...

Did they offer the wine pairing class in the Steak House? We did this on the Miracle and it was very good - loved the little food samples.

Do they have the little cinnamon rolls at breakfast - I love those?

I heard that they switched the Lido coffee to Lavassa and that it's much improved. If anyone can confirm this, I won't need to bring as much tea.

I'm sure I have more questions and more information, but that should do it for now. If anyone who has sailed her recently has Fun Times, they could share or perhaps post highlights - that would be awesome.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my quest for knowledge! I've heard lots of good things from the first group out of NYC and the second group should be debarking as we speak! Those of us who will be sailing on the Splendor out of the Big Apple want to know!

Thanks for taking the time to post this. We're booked on the Splendor for our first Carnival cruise and this info will come in handy!

Can I just fire something at you American folk.

I am sailing on the Splendour on the 10th June and its the 10/6!!!!

Not the 6/10. That is the 6th October.

Now I am away to get a tin hat on for all the abuse about to come my way!

Still cant wait to sail on her and meet my fellow shipmates on the 10/6 sailing,

:) :)

I couldn't agree more.

Plus, where else will you get a sail-a-way view like this one?

e99ic0.jpg

Not sure if you will remember, but how long after you left the port does it take to pass the Statue Of Liberty? We are planning on going to the Steakhouse for dinner on embarkation night but I want to see her as we sail past. Do you think 7pm resevations will be fine with a 4pm sail away?

Edited by twinzzz

Not sure if you will remember, but how long after you left the port does it take to pass the Statue Of Liberty? We are planning on going to the Steakhouse for dinner on embarkation night but I want to see her as we sail past. Do you think 7pm resevations will be fine with a 4pm sail away?

Will take about 45 to 60 minutes to reach the Statue of Liberty so as long as you dont leave to late you will be fine.

7pm for the steak house should be fine unless you take a long time to get ready for dinner!

We sailed about 5pm - maybe a little before - and were under the Verrazano Bridge by about 6pm - times approx because sailing time can vary a bit.

I think we passed the Statue of Liberty about 5:30. Takes about 20 minutes once the ship heads down river. Pulling out of the dock and getting the ship facing down river takes like 5 or 10 minutes.

You want to be on one of the top decks for sail away. NYC will be on the left facing the bow (port) and the Statue will be on the right/starboard facing the bow. When you see the Freedom Tower coming up on your left - the Statue will be coming up on your right. Freedom Tower first, then the Statue. After the Statue you will be in the harbor - Staten Island Ferries and other ships all around, then the ship sails under the bridge. After that NJ will be on the right and Brooklyn, Coney Island on the Left.

Can I just fire something at you American folk.

I am sailing on the Splendour on the 10th June and its the 10/6!!!!

Not the 6/10. That is the 6th October.

Now I am away to get a tin hat on for all the abuse about to come my way!

Still cant wait to sail on her and meet my fellow shipmates on the 10/6 sailing,

:) :)

LOL - leave it to the Scots to get there dates backwards! :p Been researching my family tree and all the dates are written 6 June 2013!

March 23rd was the first cruise out of NY for the Splendor.

Just got off the 31st cruise today. I personally had no issues with wait times or cold food in the dining room, but we had excellent wait staff. One of our best, actually. There was alot of staffing changes throughout the week though, with a few more to come as contracts are sorted. I know the ACD is leaving in 2 weeks and they'll be short 5 bartenders today's sailing. Random info, woohoo!

Also, I liked the fact that the legends show was finally different. Been cruising since '06 and its been the same. Finally, something new! And dancing with the cast is a nice addition, plus 2.0 deck party additions were a nice change of pace. Bring back Carnival Colors!

Got some lovely night shots of the statue and sunrise shots of lower Manhattan. Sail away was very grey and dreary so not the best, but still have those day time shots as well. Have also sailed with Tex on the Miracle in February, saw him at the Welcome Aboard show and Legends. Other than that he didn't exist. Always happy to have a CD who makes his/her presence known.

Now, as far as the NY crowd being rowdy, normally I'd say no. However, I've never sailed out in the high end of spring break from NYC, only Miami (which was more college age groups). The kids and teens on the cruise were horrible with parents nowhere to be seen, and I say this as a 21 year old. Some kids pulled a mailbox off of a wall, constantly throwing things, yelling and screaming, running everywhere and into everyone, cutting, sticking their hands in the buffet food - it was dreadful. Majority of the cruisers were new and I assume weren't trusting of Camp Carnival or just didn't know about it. My sister is 10 and didn't even want to go because so many of the kids were just obnoxious. I wouldn't advise a cruise out of NY during spring break if you enjoy peace and quiet, cause it doesn't exist - even at 3-4 AM. Knocks on the doors, screaming down the halls. The best cabin doesn't matter when that happens, oy.

LOL - leave it to the Scots to get there dates backwards! :p Been researching my family tree and all the dates are written 6 June 2013!

See I am correct. 6/10 not 10/6

Christmas is 25/12 not 12/25. :p back at you.

I read 2 reviews from the first sailing from NY and both were good. The main complaint one person had was that there was no basketball for the basketball court, but they said the rest was good.

I think people who post reviews here give more information and better feed back than those who post in the review section. March 30 or 31 was the first cruise out of NYC.

Ship arrived on the 23rd of March

This was in the actual review section sailing date3/23-3/31 written by stormtroopers888

I read the ones you are talking about, I am hunting down posts to see how it's all going, I think I'm just as excited as you and the next person.... they have a beautiful sail away today for sure! keep on watching the site to see her leave again!

I couldn't agree more.

Plus, where else will you get a sail-a-way view like this one?

e99ic0.jpg

Amazing, stunning picture! Thanks for sharing! All (22) of my embarkations (except one...the HAL Noordam October 20th, 2007 ;)) pulled out of the pier wayyyy before sunset...so I never had an opportunity to see The Lady with a sunset backdrop....well done!

March 23rd was the first cruise out of NY for the Splendor.

Just got off the 31st cruise today. I personally had no issues with wait times or cold food in the dining room, but we had excellent wait staff. One of our best, actually. There was alot of staffing changes throughout the week though, with a few more to come as contracts are sorted. I know the ACD is leaving in 2 weeks and they'll be short 5 bartenders today's sailing. Random info, woohoo!

Also, I liked the fact that the legends show was finally different. Been cruising since '06 and its been the same. Finally, something new! And dancing with the cast is a nice addition, plus 2.0 deck party additions were a nice change of pace. Bring back Carnival Colors!

Got some lovely night shots of the statue and sunrise shots of lower Manhattan. Sail away was very grey and dreary so not the best, but still have those day time shots as well. Have also sailed with Tex on the Miracle in February, saw him at the Welcome Aboard show and Legends. Other than that he didn't exist. Always happy to have a CD who makes his/her presence known.

Now, as far as the NY crowd being rowdy, normally I'd say no. However, I've never sailed out in the high end of spring break from NYC, only Miami (which was more college age groups). The kids and teens on the cruise were horrible with parents nowhere to be seen, and I say this as a 21 year old. Some kids pulled a mailbox off of a wall, constantly throwing things, yelling and screaming, running everywhere and into everyone, cutting, sticking their hands in the buffet food - it was dreadful. Majority of the cruisers were new and I assume weren't trusting of Camp Carnival or just didn't know about it. My sister is 10 and didn't even want to go because so many of the kids were just obnoxious. I wouldn't advise a cruise out of NY during spring break if you enjoy peace and quiet, cause it doesn't exist - even at 3-4 AM. Knocks on the doors, screaming down the halls. The best cabin doesn't matter when that happens, oy.

Thanks for reporting back. Sorry there were so many incorrigable kids....:rolleyes::mad:...which is why I NEVER cruise during spring break or summer...but happy you had, overall, a good experience!

One complaint done and over with, watched as the ship sailed away,,, camera zoomed into the kids playing basketball saw not 1 but 3 balls... LOL[/quote

LOL! Apparently they got some to replace the one that went missing! This sailing certainly had a great sail away day. Hope the weather for ours is just as good!

Well aren't we the grumpy camper this morning!

We always cruise out of NY and don't see any more "whining and grumbling ... trash the ship, get obnoxious and drunk" or unhappy people than I read about sailing from other ports. In fact, I don't recall seeing any of that on any of my cruises.

I'll take a cruise ship full of NYers any day - in fact I plan on doing just that June 10th! :D

I'm with you Kath.