MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Thank you! I would luv to read your review & see the fun times! Will it be posted on this board, or a different one?

Here somehow or a link to a photo share site.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Edited by RRLLAL

Hi I noticed you are scheduled to go back on the Splendor during Easter 2014. We are also taking that cruise with our two granddaughters 13 & 10. Never gone at that time of year, but didn't want to take the kids out of school. Their first cruise I'm sure they'll love it. Noticed your a card player, play alot on the cruises?

Yes we plan to go during the kids spring / easter break again next year. Nyc is convenient for us and the ports are different than this years. Will include Grand Turk and HMC which we love both.

Yes, I spend a few hours a day playing poker on board. Its fun and as the week goes on there becomes a group of "regulars" that play and we get to know each other well and become friends.

Have you ever spent time with a Scot? Gods chosen people.

Missed this the last time through! Actually I have - remind me to tell you the story when we meet on the Splendor. Also my DH has been to Greenock. He was stationed at Holy Loch when he was in the Navy.

Hi, :)

My wife & I are anxious to sail on the Splendor out of New York during

the May 25th & June 2nd voyages.

I contacted the Manhattan Cruise Terminal at: http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/

because there are two ships in port on May 25th, and was told that the Splendor

would be docked at pier 90.

I wonder if pier 90 is the Splendor's permanent home while in New York..

ManhattenCruiseTerminal_zpsa6aa5777.jpg

:)

Missed this the last time through! Actually I have - remind me to tell you the story when we meet on the Splendor. Also my DH has been to Greenock. He was stationed at Holy Loch when he was in the Navy.

Your husband and I would get on well.

USS Simon Lake by any chance?

What a GREAT REVIEW. Thank you! I can almost see Kath/CyberCat foaming at the mouth in excitement! :D Nice of CCL to give you a credit for the time you lost when the bus broke down. Only downside to CCL is that they cut out that FCC you used to be able to get when you are sailing. :mad: Hope your 2014 cruise is just as enjoyable! :)

I was just on the cruise that returned 4/8. I wrote a review but it hasn't been put up yet. we had a great cruise. You nailed all the answers you had and to comment on a few things you were still wondering about.....I don't know if they changed coffee on the lido but I thought it was better than my last few cruises as was the pizza IMO. Taste is much better. See Vroom. Aaesome. And the Legends show as a blast since Malcolm participated (at least on our cruise). I don't remember the cinammon rolls. Also, I ahve all the Fun Times. If I get time this weekend I will scan them.

Looking forward to seeing the funtimes.. I am going on the Splendor May 17th and I've been trying to find recent funtimes to see what's new this year.

Your husband and I would get on well.

USS Simon Lake by any chance?

Sam Houston - it was quite awhile ago! He loved Scotland. We wanted to go when we were in England awhile back, but we had also scheduled a trip to the Netherlands and we couldn't manage both.

Great review, one quick question though. You say you could drop your bags off at your room when you got on the ship because you have VIFP. What exactly do you mean? Are you platinum members that you had priority. I thought the splendor does not have FTTP offered yet, which is the only way you can drop of bags early by being platinum of buying FTTP. VIFP is just the name of the program for past cruisers is it not? Just wondering because we have priority boarding as I am platinum and would like to know if we can drop our bags off early when we get on the ship.

Just wondering because we have priority boarding as I am platinum and would like to know if we can drop our bags off early when we get on the ship.

Some claim that this has always been an undocumented privilege of being Platinum.

Great review, one quick question though. You say you could drop your bags off at your room when you got on the ship because you have VIFP. What exactly do you mean? Are you platinum members that you had priority. I thought the splendor does not have FTTP offered yet, which is the only way you can drop of bags early by being platinum of buying FTTP. VIFP is just the name of the program for past cruisers is it not? Just wondering because we have priority boarding as I am platinum and would like to know if we can drop our bags off early when we get on the ship.

Yea, I should have made it clearer that we are platinum. VIFP was the wrong word to use.

Thanks for the great review! We are doing GT, HMC and Nassau. I've done that itin before, but as much as I love the Miracle, I'm kind of looking forward to checking out a new ship.

This is good news "It was great to see they went back to offering shrimp cocktail every night." I just love knowing I can get a shrimp cocktail ... it's like my safety net :D

Couple of questions ...

You said you could get to your cabin right away? We're traveling with my sister who is Platinum and we thought we would have to wait to get to the cabins because the Splendor is not doing FTTF yet. This would be great!

You wrote "Breakfast was usually on the lido but we did the MDR twice also." Is this regular breakfast or Punchliner Brunch? I had heard that if they were doing Punch/Brunch they didn't have regular breakfast and lunch in the MDR. And I thought I read that the Splendor has the Punch/Brunch.

Thanks again for taking the time. Come on June ... you're not coming fast enough!

I see from port info on another thread that there are FOUR ships in port on my departure day. Should I be worried? Splendor, Breakaway and two smaller cruise ships.

IIRC they use Pier 88 and Pier 90. If there are 4 ships, there will probably be 2 at each. There may be another pier, but I think only 88 and 90 have been recently renovated. I think they set Pier 90 up to handle the larger ships. The Breakway will definitely be at that pier.

They move people through fairly quick, but that's a lot of people - yikes. I've been there with 3, but it was the Miracle (or Legend), the Dawn and the Victory. Didn't seem too hectic, but IDK with the Splendor AND the Breakaway.

Thanks for the great review! We are doing GT, HMC and Nassau. I've done that itin before, but as much as I love the Miracle, I'm kind of looking forward to checking out a new ship.

This is good news "It was great to see they went back to offering shrimp cocktail every night." I just love knowing I can get a shrimp cocktail ... it's like my safety net :D

Couple of questions ...

You said you could get to your cabin right away? We're traveling with my sister who is Platinum and we thought we would have to wait to get to the cabins because the Splendor is not doing FTTF yet. This would be great!

You wrote "Breakfast was usually on the lido but we did the MDR twice also." Is this regular breakfast or Punchliner Brunch? I had heard that if they were doing Punch/Brunch they didn't have regular breakfast and lunch in the MDR. And I thought I read that the Splendor has the Punch/Brunch.

Thanks again for taking the time. Come on June ... you're not coming fast enough!

I may have made a mistake, but I had no problem going straight to my room. I know the Splendor doesn't have FTTF but I thought going straight to your room with priority boarding was a Platinum perk. Maybe not. But we just went to our room and it was ready. Oh well. :)

As to MDR breakfast, they have it on days that there isn't punch liners comedy brunch.

I see from port info on another thread that there are FOUR ships in port on my departure day. Should I be worried? Splendor, Breakaway and two smaller cruise ships.

The Navigator and AIDAbella are small ships and only visiting, so they will be using the other small piers for it. I dont think you will have a problem

I may have made a mistake, but I had no problem going straight to my room. I know the Splendor doesn't have FTTF but I thought going straight to your room with priority boarding was a Platinum perk. Maybe not. But we just went to our room and it was ready. Oh well. :)

As to MDR breakfast, they have it on days that there isn't punch liners comedy brunch.

Cool - on our last cruise, there was a sign at the entrance from the elevators saying to come back at 1:30. We had gone straight up to the Lido with our luggage, but my sister went down to check on the rooms. Ours was ready before 1:30 but not right away.

This time we want to get on line at the Shore Excursion desk to sign up for the Behind the Fun tour, so my DH and I will probably do that and send my sister down to check on the room again! ;)

I thought they did the Punchliner on sea days - did they not do it every day or did you eat in the MDR on a port day?

Cool - on our last cruise, there was a sign at the entrance from the elevators saying to come back at 1:30. We had gone straight up to the Lido with our luggage, but my sister went down to check on the rooms. Ours was ready before 1:30 but not right away.

This time we want to get on line at the Shore Excursion desk to sign up for the Behind the Fun tour, so my DH and I will probably do that and send my sister down to check on the room again! ;)

I thought they did the Punchliner on sea days - did they not do it every day or did you eat in the MDR on a port day?

Yea, the doors were closed and there was a sign that said what time the rooms would be ready. But we ignored it thinking we had immediate access and just opened them and went to the room. One carnival person near the elevators did say to us that rooms weren't ready yet and we just said we were priority and could go straight to our room. He didn't say anything and off we went.

We did eat breakfast in the MDR on 2 port days. Port Canaveral since we were on our own schedule and getting off when we wanted to rent a car and then in Nassau because we stayed on ship. Make sure to check the fun times because the hours for breakfast in the MDR were different eaach port day.

Are they charging for cappuccinos and espressos in the MDR now on Splendor? (Sorry if this has been brought up in this thread, I did several thread searches and didn't find anything!) I know some other ships have started doing that but it hasn't been confirmed on all ships.

They did on the Miracle in February. I was really bummed. I am not a "coffee snob" and am okay with my Mr. Coffee and Maxwell House or Folgers or whatever is on sale here at home, but I enjoyed having a cappucino in the MDR after dinner. :) Didn't want to pay for it, tho lol! :p:o

Thanks so much Cyber Kat for starting this thread. This will be our third cruise out of NY and our first on the Splendor leaving on May 1st.

Did you do anytime dining or early/late? This will be our first doing the 'anytime' and I'm curious to how it went.

Also, had a problem this morning with the shareholder credit. We just moved to a new house and I haven't had time to keep up with everything about our cruise. I sat down to look this morning and the shareholder credit was not to be found--I sent the paperwork in January. Called and the first lady couldn't help me so I called again and all I had to do was fax the info and the credit appeared within the hour.--Carnival told me they did not receive my first request(although I have a delivery receipt). So, anyone who is looking for this credit and you haven't heard from them, give them a call!

Love reading all this great info-getting so excited to finally be aboard!