Round the World!

valleyvillage

For all my friends here on Cruise Critic who have ever wondered about an around the world cruise, my friends are taking the HAL world cruise this year. They are live blogging about it on BlogSpot and it is fascinating. They are doing a southern hemisphere Florida to Florida with two of those overland excursions. If you like a good travel blog, you will get a kick out of this! Enjoy!

For all my friends here on Cruise Critic who have ever wondered about an around the world cruise, my friends are taking the HAL world cruise this year. They are live blogging about it on BlogSpot and it is fascinating. They are doing a southern hemisphere Florida to Florida with two of those overland excursions. If you like a good travel blog, you will get a kick out of this! Enjoy!

What does around the World cost?

Thank you for telling us about the blog, I have just started at day 1, it's wonderful.

I have often dreamed of this cruise, but until we retire completely, it is just not going to happen, of course then there is the whole money thing as we would want to sail in at least a veranda. Our other option is we want to do the 67 day SA tour. I keep waiting for NCL to offer some similar options, but it looks like it's not going to happen, at least in our lifetime. So HAL looks like it will get our business for that sort of cruise. We love NCL and have sailed nothing but them, and will continue to do so as long as we can, they have many itineraries that we haven't done yet, so that should keep us going to the time being.

What does around the World cost?

I think they start @ 20K pp for an inside stateroom. They are 4 months...so room, board, entertainment and travel for 5K a month. And best of all, no jet lag! If you did your own round the world with air fare, food and lodging, I bet it would be a LOT more!

Hey, I can't afford to stay home! :D

A couple of years ago an actor friend of mine was hired by HAL to teach acting classes on some of the sea days for an ATW cruise. Basically he got his stateroom for free, no salary. Said it was quite an experience!

Here is another blog on the same cruise - http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com/ I do not know the man but I have been reading his blog for several years. He likes to take pictures.

We are planning to take a world cruise in 2015. We are shying away from HAL because of all the formal nights. It seems like there are a couple each week. Also lots of theme nights which require special clothing. The only line to release their 2015 itinerary is Crystal. It is selling out so we have a cabin on hold but will wait until Seabourn, SilverSea, Princess, and HAL release their itineraries to make a final decision.

A world cruise is definitely on our retirement list - but unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your outlook - we are several years away.

And for anyone thinking that 6 months on a ship may be too long to try at one time, there are many opportunities to break that down to 30 days or so in different areas: South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, etc.

We have cruised the Atlantic, Gulf, Carribbean, Adriatic, Mediterranean, Balkins, and soon the Pacific (come on Hawaiian cruise!) - all have given us a great overview of some of the wonderful places to visit - but we are running out of new waterways with NCL and will soon have to branch out;)

A world cruise is definitely on our retirement list - but unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your outlook - we are several years away.

And for anyone thinking that 6 months on a ship may be too long to try at one time, there are many opportunities to break that down to 30 days or so in different areas: South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, etc.

I'd love to do one of these, but the fact that I have to work for a living makes doing anything longer than a 7-14 day impossible. :(

We have cruised the Atlantic, Gulf, Carribbean, Adriatic, Mediterranean, Balkins, and soon the Pacific (come on Hawaiian cruise!) - all have given us a great overview of some of the wonderful places to visit - but we are running out of new waterways with NCL and will soon have to branch out;)

We have done cruises, river cruises and land trips that all together run four weeks. That is about as long as we wish to be absent from home.

It is great to travel, but also great to come home as well.

It is great to get back after a long trip - but it took me almost 3 weeks on our last cruise before I had that "homesick" feeling - I think it had more to do with the exchange rate in Norway than my house or job:D

Once we finally get to retire (no more than 10 years please!!!) I plan to keep working my way around the globe - hopefully on the "high seas."

But I have been eying those European river cruises - but again anything longer than 10 days is almost impossible. FYI - that almost 3 week cruise was a very rare occurance - my boss didn't realize I was going to be gone almost 3 weeks until I left - eased by that one;)

Thanks for the link. I read another world cruise blog a while ago and it was very interesting. I've bookmarked your link and will read it as soon as I can.

EDIT. :facepalm: They used Comic Sans :(

Archived