Has Anyone Cruised with Carry-on Only?

Chelly

I could manage clothes in a carry on, but how do you get toiletries through the airport scanners? If I was going to a destination where I could easily purchase those items at a reasonable cost I would do it, but I have no desire to use my time in Europe or Asia looking for acceptable cosmetics and shower gel etc.

I have the hardest time with toilettries (taking up space).

but in may carryon I can fit

use the sample sizes that lots of cosmetic companies give, and pack 3 ounce/100ml size containers of liquids like shampoo. why bring the supersized containers that last months? are you a regular customer - my favorite sales person saved me extra samples when i ask, but now i have "perfect"sized containers and wash and re-fill

I have asked for and received empty 1/2 oz size containers from MAC. they have them for customers who want to try something - they don't prepackage like some of the other brands. the size holds enough for about 10 days of moisturizer

if planning to do laundry use the 3oz containers for high efficiency laundry detergent - more than enough to launder your underwear,swimwear, blouses.

try laundering blouses in your sink at home, wring out in a towel, hang to dry, and see how they look the next day - makes packing choices so much easier when you know everything is going to be easily laundered.

I can carry enough of all liquids I need for 3 weeks trip in my TSA approved sized ziplock bag

I've been doing carry-on for all trips (2-3 per year usually 12-21 days each trip).

This was the result of having several trips with my luggage misplaced, damaged, or lost - I honestly felt my luggage had a sign that only luggage handlers could see that said "destroy me" Really a real black cloud for traveling when you don't have your luggage show up!

This last trip I decided to "splurge" and try again, using my 26 inch case.

i ended up wishing i hadn't - the slight inconvenience of washing a blouse every night (its easier to dry one at a time, and all my choices were always available) was not worth the extra weight when i was in transit. I rarely wore the extra pair of shoes I brought, using my usual walking shoes or sandals most of the time. I'm a woman in my mid 60s who usually travels with a friend so I am handling all my luggage myself. I also found that since I had room I bought more "stuff" Its easy to resist when you know you have no room.

BTW my packing list is very similar to Binkysmom

back to carry-on size bag for me.

one more comment - yes, i talk too much, even online-

ALL airlines should enforce their rules. I love the European airlines that actual weigh each bag.We should all know and follow the rules - they are there to protect everyone's rights.

A carry-on that is now expanded an extra 2 inches is no longer a carry-on size...1 personal item is 1 purse or 1 tote or 1 dutyfree shopping bag or 1 computer bag - not all 4! If space is tight, only your ONE carry-on should be in the overhead bin with your personal item under the seat in front of you.

And if you can't lift your bag into the overhead without help, you should have checked it.

Could I manage with just carry on? Absolutely not! Can't bear wearing the same clothes for several days, especially when it is hot - yuk! Neither do I want to be 'dabbing out' the same clothes each night in the sink. Might do if I was backpacking in youth hostels but not on a lovely cruise.

But obviously there are plenty who do, so,more power to your elbow. :D

The cost of taking a hold luggage is surely no more than the cost of 7 drinks on a ship, so can't really see why having to pay for it is such an issue?

Make sure you never fly Virgin Atlantic, though, as they usually weigh carry on which until recently had a limit of 6kg, although they have recently increased this to 10kg. But they certainly would not allow the huge carry ons that we see Americans heaving onto planes when we travel on American carriers. :eek:

... and if you are going to do the carry-on approach and wear the same clothes everyday, you might want to avoid packing that crazy wild colored caribbean shirt!

Who here hasn't seen that guy on their last cruise?

I could manage clothes in a carry on, but how do you get toiletries through the airport scanners? If I was going to a destination where I could easily purchase those items at a reasonable cost I would do it, but I have no desire to use my time in Europe or Asia looking for acceptable cosmetics and shower gel etc.

You can buy empty travel size containers that are the legal size (and usually a bit bigger than the prepackaged toiletries) and decant your favourite toiletries. Unless you are travelling for a month, 3 oz/100g is usually enough. You can always take two containers of the same product if you are worrying about running out.

... and if you are going to do the carry-on approach and wear the same clothes everyday, you might want to avoid packing that crazy wild colored caribbean shirt!

Who here hasn't seen that guy on their last cruise?

Unless you are the type of person who changes their clothes three times a day, you can fit enough clothes for over a week in carry on without rewearing the same clothes. It just takes more planning when packing.

Archived