Upgrade: Did I make the right choice?

mnolan770

Sailing on Sunday on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Got the call today to upgrade from a J inside to a G outside. Took it. Did I make a good choice? Anyone else been in a G Outside? Looking at the pictures on Joanie's website, it has the full size windows. I think any window is better than no window. We have only done verandahs and suites in the past. Is the G outside about the same size as a verandah without the deck?

Looks like a great upgrade from the small J to an oceanview. I really like the look of that huge window. Like some have said here previously, keep the drapes closed at night. It seems that sometimes the crew might be walking around the lifeboats first thing in the morning.

Enjoy your cruise. Nieuw Amsterdam is a great ship.

Did you get an upgrade or an upsell offer?

OP said:
Got the call today to upgrade from a J inside to a G outside. Took it.

You don't get calls offering a choice on free upgrades ... they're just done.

We were in a small J on deck 7. Not the big Js on deck 2.

Take it from a cave dweller who wouldn't think of booking one of the J-cabins on deck 7: you absolutely, positively did the right thing.

Several of you are right. I misstated. It was a small upsell fee to move up. Less than what it would have been to have booked the G when I booked this originally a few weeks ago.

I'm glad we did it. Will be happy with the window.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Does HAL offer upsell on cabins after the final payment date? If so how does one know if they are getting a deal or not! I can't find any pricing listed for the different cabin classes. On Oceania I could look at their book, or web site and know that there was a $400 or $500 or $600 jump from one cabin group to a different level cabin, and see the extra things one would get if you changed cabins. On HAL are all the nine 'V' staterooms the same cost? Are the next cost level SS, SY, and SZ Superior Suites all the same price? And then the Deluxe Suites SQ, SA, SB, and SC all the same cost? Not that I don't like the mid ship location and low down cabin I now have, only that I wouldn't know if I was being offered a good deal on an upsell cabin if they offered me one. On Oceania I jumped on an offer to move from a 'B' cabin to an Concierge cabin for just a fraction of the listed price difference.

John

Does HAL offer upsell on cabins after the final payment date?
Yes upsell offers are made right up to sail date.
I can't find any pricing listed for the different cabin classes. ... On HAL are all the nine 'V' staterooms the same cost? Are the next cost level SS, SY, and SZ Superior Suites all the same price? And then the Deluxe Suites SQ, SA, SB, and SC all the same cost?
Every cabin designation has a different price. You have to go through a trial booking process to see the prices. Once you select a general class (Inside, Outside, etc) and Continue you will get a list of the prices for each step in the class.

Archived