Changing dinner seatings on MSC?

JezzaC

We just got our tickets for the cruise and seating request has been marked to 2nd seating. We specially asked for 1st seating.

Does anyone here has experience on how well MSC handles these requests on board?

We just got our tickets for the cruise and seating request has been marked to 2nd seating. We specially asked for 1st seating.

Does anyone here has experience on how well MSC handles these requests on board?

Not too well in our experience. We were assured that everything had been corrected the day prior to our cruise only to discover at check-in that it hadn't been. A maitre'd will be in the reception area during embarkation. If your seating is not correct at check-in, go see him. He was able to change ours.

We did not want to change seating, but a table-size.

On MSC Poesia right after check-in as usually we went to the restaurant to check our assignment. We wanted a table for two, but found that we were assigned to the table of eight. Talked to the M'D and he asked another employee to walk us to a special room, where our request was entered to some system. They could not provide anything right away, but promised that will take care of us as soon as possible. First night we had a dinner at originally assigned table, but next morning we received a card with a new table. For two.

In our experience this happens on other lines with traditional seating. On RCCL we got different time and large table (requested a table for two and 1st seating). Our only option was to switch to MyTimeDining... So we were happy with MSC's assistance.

First if all, you get to express a preference for which sitting and table size but it's not guaranteed they will fulfil it. If there are too many people wanting a particular sitting, then some will not get what they want.

I always ask for second sitting. Occasionally when I get to check in I've been allocated to first. I've always had no issues changing back to second. Sometimes first sitting is more popular and therefore "over subscribed". They tend to give priority for first sitting to those with young children, the elderly or those with medical conditions (e.g. Diabetes). However large group bookings can also be a factor.

I would certainly try to get it corrected now but if it is still showing as second when you check in, go to see the Maitre D' immediately. Reception will be able to tell you where to go. Sometimes they do this in the restaurant, sometimes in a lounge.

I have the opposite - I asked specifically for second, and am listed as first, waitlisted for second. I'm surprised, as I thought second sitting was less popular. If we were on the same cruise we could just swap :)

Thanks for comments. Have to visit maitre d' if needed. Luckily we are boarding from Amsterdam and most of the passengers will embark/disembark next day in Hamburg - so I am pretty sure we can have a change latest on 2nd day of cruise - if not right away.

I have the opposite - I asked specifically for second, and am listed as first, waitlisted for second. I'm surprised, as I thought second sitting was less popular. If we were on the same cruise we could just swap :)

Second less popular in America but much more popular in Europe:D .

Archived