Is there anything to do in Toulon?

ckornuta

We will be on a very port intensive cruise. I was thinking of just walking aroundfor a break day. Are there markets and shops? O r should we go to Aix or St Tropez? we are in monaco,niceand cannes the previuos day and barcelona the next' thanks!

We will be on a very port intensive cruise. I was thinking of just walking aroundfor a break day. Are there markets and shops? O r should we go to Aix or St Tropez? we are in monaco,niceand cannes the previuos day and barcelona the next' thanks!

In Toulon:

There is a Provencal market; a cable car that you can take to the top of Mont Faron & a little tourist train called "Le Petit train" (has 2 circuits).

There are also some lovely beaches, the Mourillon beaches.

We are also booked on a very port intensive cruise & plan on spending a relaxing day in Toulon ... no planned tours in this port. We can easily do the above on our own.

We were in Toulon on a Sunday..and it was virtually closed...there was a farmers market but by noon they were closing also..We used that first port as just a rest up from jetlag and to get ready for the next ports which were going to be busy ones with touring...Enjoy your cruise.

In Toulon:

There is a Provencal market; a cable car that you can take to the top of Mont Faron & a little tourist train called "Le Petit train" (has 2 circuits).

There are also some lovely beaches, the Mourillon beaches.

We are also booked on a very port intensive cruise & plan on spending a relaxing day in Toulon ... no planned tours in this port. We can easily do the above on our own.

I googled the Mourillon beaches and they look beautiful. How far are these beaches from the port and are taxi's for six people ie 4 adults and two small children, waiting at the pier of Toulon. Anymore info about the beaches ie loungers and umbrellas would be most welcome. Thanks.

I googled the Mourillon beaches and they look beautiful. How far are these beaches from the port and are taxi's for six people ie 4 adults and two small children, waiting at the pier of Toulon. Anymore info about the beaches ie loungers and umbrellas would be most welcome. Thanks.

Is your ship docking in Toulon or La Seyne-Sur-Mer? Our cruise itinerary last year listed us as docking in Toulon but we actually docked in La Seyne-Sur-Mer.

If you dock in La Seyne-Sur-Mer, you can catch the ferry over to Toulon ... there will also be taxi's available. The bus would probably be a hassle with 2 small children. Don't think that the taxi's will hold 6 people though ... you may need 2 taxi's.

The time from Toulon city center to the beaches was about 10 - 15 minutes by bus. According to Google Earth, distance is 4.2km.

There is also the Le Petit Train option (you catch it right on the waterfront in Toulon) that the kiddies might enjoy. The train goes to the Mourillon beaches (circuit 1) and costs €6 for adults & €4 for children.

Here is the link to the train:

http://www.traintoulon.com/

Don't know anything re: lounger or umbrella rentals at the beach. I saw a lounger or two (think they were locals that brought their own) but saw no umbrellas.

Is your ship docking in Toulon or La Seyne-Sur-Mer? Our cruise itinerary last year listed us as docking in Toulon but we actually docked in La Seyne-Sur-Mer.

If you dock in La Seyne-Sur-Mer, you can catch the ferry over to Toulon ... there will also be taxi's available. The bus would probably be a hassle with 2 small children. Don't think that the taxi's will hold 6 people though ... you may need 2 taxi's.

The time from Toulon city center to the beaches was about 10 - 15 minutes by bus. According to Google Earth, distance is 4.2km.

There is also the Le Petit Train option (you catch it right on the waterfront in Toulon) that the kiddies might enjoy. The train goes to the Mourillon beaches (circuit 1) and costs €6 for adults & €4 for children.

Here is the link to the train:

http://www.traintoulon.com/

Don't know anything re: lounger or umbrella rentals at the beach. I saw a lounger or two (think they were locals that brought their own) but saw no umbrellas.

Thanks for the link. This is something that would appeal to the kids and they can get off at a beach for a little while. Am I right in thinking that you have to go int to Toulon first to catch the little train. I think as we will be on the Liberty that it would dock in La Seyne-Sur-Mer. I see that RCL run shuttles at $12 per person but i was hoping for a van at the docks to get us in. How much is the ferry? Thanks for you assistance

Thanks for the link. This is something that would appeal to the kids and they can get off at a beach for a little while. Am I right in thinking that you have to go int to Toulon first to catch the little train. I think as we will be on the Liberty that it would dock in La Seyne-Sur-Mer. I see that RCL run shuttles at $12 per person but i was hoping for a van at the docks to get us in. How much is the ferry? Thanks for you assistance

Yes, the Petit train departs from the Toulon port/ waterfront area (in Square Germain Noveau) almost every 30 minutes or so.

The ferry from La Seyne to Toulon is €2 (maritime line 8M). The 8M ferry runs every 25-35 minutes and the ride takes 20 minutes.

Yes, the Petit train departs from the Toulon port/ waterfront area (in Square Germain Noveau) almost every 30 minutes or so..

The ferry from La Seyne to Toulon is €2 (maritime line 8M). The 8M ferry runs every 25-35 minutes and the ride takes 20 minutes.

Thank you so much for your replies. Much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the April 17-29 Barcelona To Venice, NCL cruise.

We booked shore excursions in every port except Toulon, Mykonos and Istanbul.

We docked right in town. At the port terminal there is a visitors info, they have great maps, and information.

We took it easy, out of the port headed left, and came across the farmers market. DW found a great pair of shoes for $10 E.

We walked down to the Maritime Museum, spent a few hours there. They give you audio headset, I think it was about $5-6 E. Then just strolled through town. Pretty town, could take nice pictures, but wanted to start out slow and easy. Hope this helps. ;)

The cable car is a must Mount Faron Telepherique. last year we got the bus which is across from the Tourist Info office right to the cable car. It cost only 7 euros for the 2 of us including bus and cable car. Theres a nice bar at the top and naval museum.

Archived