Gifts for the crew...

Canuckdoc

Of course we always tip well, and recognize that the comment card is very meaningful, but I find the cash so impersonablke and immemorable...

I was curious as to what type of gifts people have brought, and reactions...

A recent review by Nattilyattired mentioned bringing Candy (saltwater taffee from sf?) - which seemed brilliant/thoughtful and motivated this thread...

It would be nice to leave something by which to be remembered...cash will soon be forgotten (unless it is an unsual amount )...

We had a wonderful stewardess on one of our cruises and she took a real liking to my wife's ipod - they were still fairly novel then - so we bought her one. The expression on her face was worth every penny.

If you are with them long enough to get to know them a little a present is a nice thought, but cash of course is always really welcome.

I always donate to the crew welfare fund.

Not as vulgar as handing cash around and all crew members benefit.

I do think that a little gift for your stewardess is also a nice touch as you get to know them better than any other crew member

I do think that a little gift for your stewardess is also a nice touch as you get to know them better than any other crew member

I'd go with a crew fund donation every time. And I find it utterly vulgar for anyone to be throwing cash around on a no tipping cruise, although I know it does happen.

A donation to the crew fund also rewards the behind the scenes crew, such as laundry, who are often overlooked. In my experience on SS the laundry staff do a stellar job and they don't even get to see a smile of thanks from most passengers.

I don't have any suggestions for butler and suite attendant, but if you must give them an actual gift, it needs to be something small that doesn't take up much space in their cramped quarters on board. How about an international phone card of some kind for when they call home?

Twice?! :D You generous chappy!

You got back very quickly today. I looked for you .... hope you were carrying a rolled up copy of the times ..;)

donation=tip No? :D

Nice try Mr Jeff :D

Our Crew Fund donations are made at reception on disembarkation day. They don't involve flashing £50 notes (or worse!) around in public.

I think the big difference is that the crew fund donation goes to ALL crew equally, and isn't made in order to be treated with more deference by specific crew members. ;)

It should be possible to express a preference - which is a very good one - without being rude and calling others with additional or different views vulgar - no? :)

There's absolutely no difference between giving a tip in a restaurant where service is already included than on a ship where it is also included. Personally I see no difference between the tip I give quietly ( cash or personal thoughtful gift) to the steward/stewardess/butler than to the crew fund. Both is personal choice and neither is vulgar.

:)

In terms of gifts, always remember that the crew has limited space in their suitcases. Often they have picked up items that they want to bring home for themselves, family and friends.

If you want to reward the entire crew then the Crew Welfare fund is the way to go.

If you want to reward say your stewardess then a tip is always nice but if you would like to reward them with some other item then something like candy or cookies or something along those lines are nice.

Also if you have someone outstanding to recognize a card to the Hotel Director recognizing them is always nice in addition to recognizing them on the survey.

Keith

It would seem to me that while considered tacky by some, cash is best. They could then decide how they want to use it.

What makes you think any crew member is so underpaid that they want/need/expect tips any more than any other salaried person? I do not understand this being an almost weekly topic.

Gratuities are included in the fare. Crew fund yes, individuals totally vulgar.

Gratuities are included in the fare. Crew fund yes, individuals totally vulgar.

OK - I'll bite!

What is "totally vulgar" about tipping an individual who has provided you with exceptional service and added value to your cruise - in addition to leaving a tip to be shared amongst the crew?

Isn't it vulgar to fail to recognise that exceptional individual service?

Archived