Aust.-NZ Airport Top Rankings??!!

From the WAToday publication in Australia today, they have this headline: "World's best airport named" with these highlights: "Singapore's Changi Airport has been voted the World's Best Airport at the 2013 World Airport Awards held in Geneva. It's the fourth time the airport has won the top prize. The awards, by votes of global travellers, had 12.1 million responses from across 395 airports. It has remained ranked amongst the top-three airports for the last 14 years of the awards and has more than 330 retail outlets, and 120 food and beverage options. Incheon International Airport in South Korea was voted No. 2, Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport third. In the Australia-Pacific region Auckland International Airport was voted No. 1, Brisbane Airport No. 2 and Melbourne Airport No. 3. In the overall rankings, Brisbane came in at No. 21, up from No. 34 last year, while Melbourne was at No. 29, up fro No. 43 last year. Sydney Airport dropped 11 places, from No. 20 in 2012 to No. 31 this year. Perth Airport was way down the list at No. 78 in the top 100."

Prior to our early Jan. 2014 cruise, Sydney to Auckland on the Solstice, we'll have two flights through Brisbane, one through Melbourne, plus once into Sydney and then out of Auckland after the completion of our cruise. Flying through Honolulu in coming down for our cruise and as the return/stop-over point. Look forward to checking out these various airports.

Full story at:

http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-best-airport-named-20130417-2i049.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 127,508 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Likewise with Melbourne, I'm surprised it ranked as high as it does. Its not a bad airport, but there isn't a lot to do once through passport control, plus limited eating options before security. Then there is the whole issue of some of the most expensive airport parking in the world and no public transport options to get out of the place.

Likewise with Melbourne, I'm surprised it ranked as high as it does. Its not a bad airport, but there isn't a lot to do once through passport control, plus limited eating options before security. Then there is the whole issue of some of the most expensive airport parking in the world and no public transport options to get out of the place.

We talking about the same airport? I can think of plenty of eating spots there...okay not 5 star but....and I'm including both the wings leading into Virgin and Qantas now as well ( I know they got rid of the food court in the international)

Is there any news about a new airport for Sydney?

I know the present is at ,or over capacity , and I recall reading that they were talking about a new one on the Central Coast.

Shhhhh, David. We don't want that here just yet:D Seriously though, the last mention was last year by memory. They change their minds all the time...currently it is Wilton in SW Sydney. All totally political.

This may interest you..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sydney_Airport

We talking about the same airport? I can think of plenty of eating spots there...okay not 5 star but....and I'm including both the wings leading into Virgin and Qantas now as well ( I know they got rid of the food court in the international)

There's little faces type places, but when you compare it to other international airports there is so much more in the international areas. I guess not really being a hub airport they don't need to provide as much. I just find myself getting bored pretty quick :)

All Australian airports suck...well apart from Changi...and at the end of a long uncomfortable wait...is a long uncomfortable flight....there is nothing like a cruise ship!

Sue

Well said, Sue :)

Looks like we will be stepping off the Solstice as you are embarking in November ...

Ursula

You jest - Brisbane???? Last time we came through there (international transfer to domestic) the luggage conveyor did not work, we had to carry all our luggage on and off the transfer bus, there were no staff to be seen, there was "bus rage" and I could just go on and on.

Brisbane also has some of the worst flight delay figures of all AU airports.

The QF lounges are far too small - often hard to find a seat.

I quite like Changi but have not visited the new QF lounges there now though I hear they are pretty good.

Maybe I'm biased, but I'm not too impressed with Auckland Airport. The International Terminal is in a separate building. The walk to the Domestic Terminal isn't bad - if it's day time and the weather isn't bad. Not so great when it's raining bucket-loads. Christchurch is much easier to get in/out of and the domestic/international transitions are seamless. Plus there are great views of the Port Hills and Southern Alps. CIAL gets my vote for NZ!

I am surprised Perth Airport came so high up in the listing, 78th is more than it deserves :eek:

I agree. Perth airport lets us down. I can't believe how little facilities are available once you go through emigration. It's so crowded. There are people sitting and laying on the floors because there just isn't enough seats.:mad: The last time we were there no-one was cleaning the tables. There was tables full of rubbish that you had to clean away yourself just to be able to use the tables.

Don't get me started on the parking situation especially at the domestic airport.:eek:

I still don't understand the appeal with Singapore. It's functional, but hasn't impressed me. Low ceilings, glass walls everywhere and the usual shops scattered around, it just feels like a modernised Bangkok airport!

Well said, Sue :)

Looks like we will be stepping off the Solstice as you are embarking in November ...

Ursula

Hi Ursula, must be time our paths crossed on a cruise.....

Airports... like I said I generally would rather be anywhere else...the only good thing about an airport is when it is taking you to a cruise ship...however Changi has seats, something to do while you wait for a connection, orchids and gardens..and its easy to get to...most Australian airports are a total pain, even the lounges are no respite, full of uncontrolled ankle biters sticking their hands into the food and not enough seats there either. I agree Auckland is pretty dreadful too.

Sue

Sue

benjoon[

Don't get me started on the parking situation especially at the domestic airport.:eek:

They opened the new T2 Domestic terminal at Perth - right next door to the International T1 on April 23rd. At this stage Tiger Airways, Sky west and Alliance are using it - so that makes Perth a bigger laugh. Most of the domestic flights go from T3 and T 4 which are over the "other side" so you have to catch a commuter bus to get from one to the other. We are flying Jetstar one way to Melbourne - (T4) and flying back Tiger (T2). We were going to leave the car at the airport - which one???????????????? our problem - we will work it out eventually. Yep.............Perth could make to 100th spot pretty quick. :rolleyes:

How did I find this out..............because Tiger sent me an email.......how will others find out?....when they rock up at the WRONG airport - and have to make a mad scramble to get from one to the other..........could be one or two missed flights here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived