What do you use instead of "sea-legs" tablets

ellecruiser

Hello

I'll shortly be heading off my fourth cruise :D

I've just discovered that sea-legs tablets seem to be discontinued - has anyone found a alternative?

I can get sea sick in the harbour so I have experimented with all different kinds of stuff in the past

Sea bands - I'm not convinced they work for me

the patches from the doctor that you stick behind your ear - they worked well but after a few days my close up vision was terrible :eek:

Sea-legs - brilliant, 1 a day = no ill effects

But I can't find them anywhere, I understand they are the same as Bonine that cruisers from US use but it's not available in UK unless I import it and that is costly.

Any suggestions much appreciated

thanks

If you can find Bonine in the UK it has worked well for us. It might be sold under another name. The little tablets they pass out at the Pursers desk are also effective. I get seasick too but fortunately not often. Good luck!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel-health/medicines/sea-legs.html

This is a UK site and says near the bottom that Traveleeze contains the same medication. If not ask the chemist for Meclozine Hydrochloride.

Can buy Bonine in the UK on Amazon so it must be available in chemists http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sickness-Protection-Raspberry-Flavored-Chewable/dp/B0000V7728/ref=pd_sim_d_3

Edited by Alaskanb

Have a look at Phenergan - I buy it for husband and daughter. Take a dose, have a lay on the bed, half hour later they're ready to go again.

It was the same drug as the ship's Dr gave husband in injection form (at least it was a few years ago when he needed injection - the generic name was listed on my receipt which is why I got Phenergan for the following cruises).

HTH

Perhaps you could ask your doctor, as she/he'll have your records. and may prescribe something to help.

Stugeron is the usual one, but have a word with your chemist- they usually have a selection of travel sickness pills.

http://www.pharmacydiscounter.com/sea-legs-tablets/

"The active ingredient in Sea Legs is Meclizine Hydrochloride" if this is true (check the box for ingredients) this is the generic version of what in the US is known as Bonine - a sea-sickness medication. This means, you can use any over-the-counter meds, there is nothing special about Sea-Legs.

I found this out:

Sea-Legs

Active Ingredients: Each tablet contains Meclizine hydrochloride BP 12.5mg

Bonine

Active Ingredients: Meclizine Hydrochloride 25 mg.

You'd need to break the Bonine in half for the same strength of Sea Legs

• 8 months later...

As a bad traveller by air or sea I too found sea-legs as the best medicine.

Having tried almost every other remedy I was somewhat distraught to find the sealegs manufacturing plant had been destroyed by fire.

However.....!

I have found Sea-legs in a pharmacy in NZ online! Made in Australasia.

Go to Pharmacy Discounter and you'll find them in stock. At £20 for 36 they're a little more expensive but a small price to pay to avoid the misery !

Hello

I'll shortly be heading off my fourth cruise :D

I've just discovered that sea-legs tablets seem to be discontinued - has anyone found a alternative?

I can get sea sick in the harbour so I have experimented with all different kinds of stuff in the past

Sea bands - I'm not convinced they work for me

the patches from the doctor that you stick behind your ear - they worked well but after a few days my close up vision was terrible :eek:

Sea-legs - brilliant, 1 a day = no ill effects

But I can't find them anywhere, I understand they are the same as Bonine that cruisers from US use but it's not available in UK unless I import it and that is costly.

Any suggestions much appreciated

thanks

On your roll call for your cruise, ask someone from US to bring Bonine or generic Meclazine for you. Offer to reimburse them.

Ginger capsules help, as does candied ginger.

Saltine crackers from buffet help. We take some and keep them in our cabin.

Purchase a ginger ale from any bar. Even 7Up or any lemon lime soda helps.