Route of the Vikings 2014

CraftyEC

We are tentatively looking at this cruise for next year; does anyone have any thoughts?

It is in August, so it could be interesting to pack for - starting in Dover, going far north to the Arctic circle and then across to Montreal. It's on the Quest (unsuprisingly, as that will have had the hull-strengthening procedures) and is 24 nights duration.

I'd love to see the Norwegian fiords, and DH isn't that keen, but he is keen to go to the Faroes, and we would both be interested to see both Iceland and Greenland, so it could cover a lot of entries on our bucket list! I think I would see enough fiords to satisfy me without a trip to Norway.

Have Seabourn done a similar itinerary before?

The full itinerary is:

Dover

Dublin

Belfast

Torshaven, Faroe Islands

Reykjavik, Iceland

Isafjordur, Iceland

Christian Sund, Greenland (cruising)

Qaqortoq, Greenland

Paamiut / Frederikshab, Greenland

Ilulissat / Jakobshavn, Greenland (overnight)

Disko Bay, Greenland (cruising)

Sisimut/ Holsteinborg, Greenland

Nuuk, Greenland

Bonne Bay, Newfoundland

Saguenay

Quebec City

Montreal.

Is that too much of a good thing, if you know what I mean?

I did a similar itinerary on one of the larger ships. We stopped in Bergen (one of my favorite cities) and Lerwick, where I have a friend who lives there. The stop in Iceland was really interesting. I have signed up to take the TA in '14. For me it had a great mix of ports and sea days. And those sea days were often bouncy. But I was happy in my suite with my Kindle and on demand tv.

We did a similar trip on the Sojourn in Sept 2011. Actually we took the QM2 from NY to Southhampton and were able to avoid all air travel. If you look at my blogs for Sept 2011 you can view the photos I took at most of the spots you will visit. The trip did not include any of the Norwegian Fiords which will be the case for the Quest based upon the itinerary you included.. http://cliffphotos.com/Blogs.html

Hope this helps

Cliff

Hi Eileen

We did the trip in Sept 11, the highlite was the Prince Christian Sund. You will not have a lot of deck time as the weather is not too warm and I have to say apart from Iceland there is not a lot to see in the ports. If you still have not booked it, I will give you a better idea when we are on the Quest later this year.

John

Hi Eileen

We did the trip in Sept 11, the highlite was the Prince Christian Sund. You will not have a lot of deck time as the weather is not too warm and I have to say apart from Iceland there is not a lot to see in the ports. If you still have not booked it, I will give you a better idea when we are on the Quest later this year.

John

We were thinking of leaving any booking until we are on board, to get the discount! We will definitely have to meet up for a drink and a chat! Looking forward to meeting you in real life, John :)

We did a similar trip on the Sojourn in Sept 2011. Actually we took the QM2 from NY to Southhampton and were able to avoid all air travel. If you look at my blogs for Sept 2011 you can view the photos I took at most of the spots you will visit. The trip did not include any of the Norwegian Fiords which will be the case for the Quest based upon the itinerary you included.. http://cliffphotos.com/Blogs.html

Hope this helps

Cliff

This is just about what I'm thinking of doing not that I love the QM2 but I strongly dislike jet lag.

Hope this helps

Cliff

I've just had the opportunity to spend a little time looking at your blogs and photos - there are some absolutely stunning pictures, especially of Greenland. Thank you for sharing.

I realise we won't be visiting any Norwegian Fiords, but I think that this will make me happy enough in terms of sailing into and out of sounds, icebergs etc.

Oh, so tempting ...

See you have some info on the Viking Crossing already. It is a great cruise and did sale out rather fast. We did it last fall on the Sojourn. I posted a daily blog with pictures if you are interested. The cruise was part of a longer trip and starts with the Sept 10 post.

www.landscruise2012.blogspot.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Sept then on Sept 10 to start the cruise portion.

Thank you for that, I very much enjoyed your blog. So much so that I read the 'front' and 'back' portions of your travels too - you security experience in Paris sounds horrific!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it enough to wade through the whole trip! I always like to read about other peoples experiences on trips we are thinking about doing.

France has never been one of my husband's favorite places....but we had such a good time renting the French country cottage that we were talking about doing it again in France. We had rented a "villa" in Italy several years ago and loved it also. Well, after that nightmarish experience, I don't think we will ever go to France again, at least, not if we have to go through any kind of security in France.

We even got a letter and bill for another possible fine after we got home. The "official" told DH to send money, but that sending the money was no guarantee that the matter was settled!! Oh Really?! DH wrote the "official" a letter and said he was not sending money, that he did not knowing break any rules and he had the judge's release to back it up. Finally not long before we left on our trip to India, DH got a letter closing the matter.

I was a bit concerned that it would be a lingering problem entering the EU through FRA, but we had no problems both times in FRA and once in Finland...we went through EU security three times on this last month's trip. We won't try it in France though just in case.

The Viking trip you are looking at sounds really neat with the extra stops in Greenland. Belfast was a surprise stop for us, but the hop on hop off bus was an interesting tour. I think there are some sites out in the country that are worth the time and effort for a car and driver or a ship's tour since you can plan ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I seem like a stalker but it was because of your blog that we ended up Booking the Viking trip this year.I savoured every bit of Info that you spoke about. I even have a list of the meals you enjoyed.I have my fingers crossed that we make it to the Faeroes. The toes are crossed for good weather , the arms are crossed for calm seas...I read only the Viking trip days not your European experience...I will return to your blog this afternoon.

At present we have struck a brick wall trying to hire a car like you from Avis through the hotel at Greenock....did you find that hurdle?

We are booking a car at Corner Brook, hoping we get more time there than your cruise did.

I am in awe of your computer skills and thank you so much to have cut the trip to the bone for the things to see.Many thanks .andhel in Australia.

........At present we have struck a brick wall trying to hire a car like you from Avis through the hotel at Greenock....did you find that hurdle?

We are booking a car at Corner Brook, hoping we get more time there than your cruise did.......

andhel,

We used Hertz or Avis can't remember which ( one has an office right by the terminal). It is right there at the cruise terminal in Greenock. I copied some tourist maps off the internet on getting to Sterling Castle and then the scenic roads through the mountains.

Glad you found the blog helpful. It is a great trip and easy to do your own touring in most ports. The stormy weather just added to the adventure!

Well we have booked this week. One of my main concerns eventually will be packing. We will be a few weeks in Northern Europe/UK prior, which possibly will be warm and also assume this cruise will require some warmer choices.

Those who have done this routing: any advice as to the mix they required?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

Still dithering, but have contacted our TA to see what price she can offer. We have decided we would like to do it, but want to get as good value as we can - obviously! It's frustrating that we're not sailing until October, as we would very much like the discount with a Future Cruise Deposit, but don't want to risk the suites selling out.

Looking at this year's sailing, which is 21 days rather than 24, there is a considerable premium on the 2014 sailing, comparing a V4 (the only suites still available on the September sailing), of about £1100 (about $1700.) I don't know if there has been a price drop on the original price. While money / price isn't our only consideration we will be taking this to celebrate my early retirement, so I don't want to spend more than necessary either!

Decisions, decisions ... I think we will probably go with this in the next few days - unless DH changes his mind :confused:

Archived