Lobster on formal night

rjs412

[quote name='rjs412']We sailed on the Star to Mexico just a few weeks ago. The lobster was served in the MDR on the second formal night. I must say, the lobster was excellent! We enjoyed a very nice dinner, including a lobster course, in Sabatini's on the first formal night. We've had great meals at Sabatini's, last year on the Emerald Princess TA & recently on the Star. On our recent cruise we also ate at the Crown Grill. The lobster in the Crown was very salty and in hindsight we should have sent it back. Our MDR dinner companions had an excellent steak meal at the Crown. The common denominator for both Sabatini's and the Crown is that we had excellent waiters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

It seems that Princess serves the lobster on the second formal night or that is the way it has worked out on our cruises last year and so far this year. We were on the Star last fall and had dinner in Sabatini's which we have done on several cruises and will do again on our next cruise. We have always found it to be much to our liking. We finally decided to try the Crown Grill last month on the Golden. We are not red meat eaters which looking at the menu says this might not be a good choice and it wasn't. I bypassed the lobster and went for the sea bass. It was rather blandly prepared so back to Sabatini's next cruise. If you like steak, then crown is the place for you.

[quote name='satxdiver']It seems that Princess serves the lobster on the second formal night or that is the way it has worked out on our cruises last year and so far this year. We were on the Star last fall and had dinner in Sabatini's which we have done on several cruises and will do again on our next cruise. We have always found it to be much to our liking. We finally decided to try the Crown Grill last month on the Golden. We are not red meat eaters which looking at the menu says this might not be a good choice and it wasn't. I bypassed the lobster and went for the sea bass. It was rather blandly prepared so back to Sabatini's next cruise. If you like steak, then crown is the place for you.[/QUOTE]

Not always. On our Sun Princess Christmas cruise the second formal night was brought forward to Christmas Eve and there was no lobster that night. Lobster night was the second-to-last night of the cruise, three days later than the forma night. So it appears that Princess may alter the formal nights on festive occasions without altering the menu for those nights.

[quote name='Pam in CA']Exactly my thought. Maybe I'm a lobster snob but then I lived northeast of Boston for over 35 years in a town with hundreds of lobster pots in the harbor. One of my business partners had one in the water from Memorial to Labor Day. Fresh lobster literally caught that day is the norm. Steamed, not broiled, is also the norm. I can, and do, order fresh lobster delivered overnight to CA maybe once or twice a year. I love lobster and stick to it fresh and steamed.

And, don't get me started on maple syrup vs. the awful maple-flavored stuff on the ship. I walk past the syrups at the supermarket and shudder.[/QUOTE]

This made me smile because we love the lobster, but feel this way about the crab shack- being from the west coast lobster is a real treat, but my husband is a recreational crabber- we eat so much fresh dungenous crab every year that we get tired of crab! The great thing about cruising is that there is something for everyone!

Being from the Pacific Northwest, we get to enjoy all of the delicious things that comes from living here - fresh crab, razor clams, oysters, salmon, and, of course, rain. As a result, I do not order any of those items (yes, I know, razors are not on the menu and everyone gets the occasional rain for free without ordering). But one thing that is very difficult for most of us to get way over here is fresh lobster. So, give me a once-frozen lobster tail on a cruise ship anytime! Of course, for those living in areas where those succulent, delicious, and pricey crustaceans are fresh or for those whose palates are a bit more discerning than my own, I understand completely. As for me, strap that gaudy plastic bib around my neck, (yes, I know, you don't get those) bring me the bucket-o-butter, and pile on the rubbery, over-cooked little guys as high as you can. I am ready! :cool: