Lobster on formal night

rjs412

We were at the lobster dinner next to a guy who ordered it and when he was served he told the waiter to bring him another lobster!

I guess some people really do like it.

Me, I am not a big lobster fan, so I enjoy other items on the menu....

I LOL'd :D

I always answer the door wearing nothing. Why do they always just run away before you can even tip them?!

gcvt - They may not have want the tip -- you want to give them... Ha!!:D

We enjoy the lobster too. Here in FL the Maine lobster is always frozen... so we are use to it... It has been fairly good on the ship - we just had it on Celebrity Reflection and it was fine - I even had a second tail... Those prawns on Princess are delicious.

I also saw a thread today about Alaskan King Crab - We had it on our two trips to Alaska and it was wonderful. Our waiter on Princess even split them open for us and brought it out on a platter for our table... Now it appears to be discontinued due to price.

Edited by neilrr

The lobster varies a lot; we've had some that is pretty bad, but our last cruise it was really quite good; neither of us likes the prawns so we asked for and got two lobster tails instead.

No, not the same as fresh Maine lobster, but still pretty good.

I wouldn't stay away from formal night since minimal 'dressing up' is required. Nice slacks and shirt for a man (blazer an added bonus) nice slacks and blouse for a woman is all that is required.

We dress up somewhat, cocktail wear, but there were many on the Golden in February who dressed exactly the same as on casual night.

The lobster varies a lot; we've had some that is pretty bad, but our last cruise it was really quite good; neither of us likes the prawns so we asked for and got two lobster tails instead.

No, not the same as fresh Maine lobster, but still pretty good.

I wouldn't stay away from formal night since minimal 'dressing up' is required. Nice slacks and shirt for a man (blazer an added bonus) nice slacks and blouse for a woman is all that is required.

We dress up somewhat, cocktail wear, but there were many on the Golden in February who dressed exactly the same as on casual night.

Thanks much for the reply. We have always packed our formal wear and dressed for formal night. However, we will sail on a short Princess cruise to Alaska which will have 2 formal nights. On a previous Celebrity cruise to Alaska, an announcement was made stating that the dress code had been relaxed. Based on the replies to my original post, I think we will leave the formal wear behind for another cruise.

Rick

I don't think that we have had the lobster more than twice...it really isn't very good. If you aren't into formal nights then you certainly can give it a pass.

Hi Putterdude - thanks for the reply. I noticed by your location that you spend time on the Sunshine Coast. We have travelled there on several occasions and have actually stayed at a B&B in Sechelt. Here are a couple questions that I posted on another thread - would you have some advice on Canadian currency & coin?

I have heard that Canada no longer uses penny coins. Are pennies are still accepted at stores? Do we just have to turn them in at a Canadian bank?

Also, we have a few odd Canadian bills from our last trip. Now I hear that their bills are a type of plastic. Is the old paper currency still legal tender?

thanks!

Rick

Hi All

I think the big shrimp taste better than the lobster,

yours Shogun

We just got off the Grand this morning, and DH ordered the tiger shrimp without the lobster. They served lobster twice on formal nights on the 15 day cruise.

I rarely go to the MDR, but if I do go I still get the lobster and shrimp as well as beef Wellington. I like the shrimp and the beef Wellington. Sometimes the lobster is decent enough. You used to be able to get beef Wellington in the buffet on formal night, but they didn't have it on my last 2 cruises. It's been a long time since I've seen lobster or lobster claws on the buffet.

Maybe I'm strange, or maybe I went to the wrong restaurants while visiting MA, ME, & RI, but I actually preferred the lobster on Princess. My mother-in-law is a lobster freak and is from the east coast. She enjoys fresh Maine lobster and Princess lobster (origin-unknown). Both of us did have to admit on our last cruise, though, that the prawns were tastier than the lobster. Can't wait to do a taste comparison in 34 days! :D

None of the food on a cruise ship is as good as you'd get if it was locally grown and purchased. Not the lobster, not the beef, not the cheeses. Additionally, geographic biases are prevalent in food impressions even when that food is freshly, locally grown and made. (DH swears the only "real" BBQ is Eastern Carolina pork BBQ served on a bun with coleslaw. I think wines from the islands of Lake Erie compete quite nicely with those from Napa).

It's not like we get a lot of fresh lobster in the middle of the country where I live, so I find cruise ship lobster to be adequate. I find the beef slightly less adequate (perhaps because we DO get a lot of good beef here). The pillow chocolates aren't Swiss chocolates; the cheeses aren't the same quality I can get in France and Italy, or even made by the Amish in Central Ohio. I'm not sure I've ever even had "real" maple syrup. My point is that very few people in the world live where they can get the best quality...everything. But cruise ships do a phenomenal job providing pretty darn decent quality food, sourced from wherever, to where I eat it in the middle of the ocean. I've had better everything than what I eat on a cruise ship (except, perhaps, what I ate at the Chef's Table). But, overall, I've been very pleased with the lobster, the syrup, and everything else.

• 5 months later...
gcvt - They may not have want the tip -- you want to give them... Ha!!:D

We enjoy the lobster too. Here in FL the Maine lobster is always frozen... so we are use to it... It has been fairly good on the ship - we just had it on Celebrity Reflection and it was fine - I even had a second tail... Those prawns on Princess are delicious.

I also saw a thread today about Alaskan King Crab - We had it on our two trips to Alaska and it was wonderful. Our waiter on Princess even split them open for us and brought it out on a platter for our table... Now it appears to be discontinued due to price.

Our local fish monger told us that most of the crab is being bought for shipment to Japan now. Even here on the West Coast, it is pricier than I have

ever seen it. Last king crab legs we got (4 in all) cost over $70.

• 1 year later...
[quote name='maxineandsharron']We're going March 14th on Star Princess and wonder if they will be offering the lobster and shrimp on both formal nights or if we should book those nights in the Crown. Also, is Sabatini's worth it? Thanks for your input![/quote]

Only one formal night will have lobster.

[quote name='rjs412'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Hi Putterdude - thanks for the reply. I noticed by your location that you spend time on the Sunshine Coast. We have travelled there on several occasions and have actually stayed at a B&B in Sechelt. Here are a couple questions that I posted on another thread - would you have some advice on Canadian currency & coin?[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]

I have heard that Canada no longer uses penny coins. Are pennies are still accepted at stores? Do we just have to turn them in at a Canadian bank?

A[SIZE=4]lso, we have a few odd Canadian bills from our last trip. Now I hear that their bills are a type of plastic. Is the old paper currency still legal tender?[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]

thanks!

Rick[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I think I can butt in and answer this!
In stores, the price will be rounded up or down. They may take your pennies but are not required to, so maybe the bank is the best place to drop it off. Older bills are no problem.+_

We had lobster for our Ultimate Balcony Dinner main on Sun Princess over Christmas. It was utterly delicious and perfectly cooked.

The next night was lobster night in the MDR but we chose to have the pheasant instead, although I did look longingly at the lobster when our dinnermates meal arrived. Unfortunately I didn't have room for two mains :(.

On that cruise, lobster night wasn't a formal night as they'd moved the second formal night to Christmas Eve.

The alternative restaurants are often not as good as the main dining room. Certainly not worth paying and being disappointed. On a recent crusie the lobsters in the Crown Grill looked liked shrimp while in the main dining room they were large and good. This should not be the case.

I have eaten in Sabatini's a few times and found the food not great. they seem to feel by giving you alot of food it makes up for the quality.

Crown grill has excellent Filet Mignons. did not care for anything else there.

[quote name='rugbypopsie']I love lobster but have it over cooked ...I'd book one of the speciality restaurants.

Sue[/QUOTE]
I had the lobster in Sabatini's and it was the same--small and dry. The large prawns they serve with the lobster in the MDR are better than the lobster.

[quote name='maxineandsharron']We're going March 14th on Star Princess and wonder if they will be offering the lobster and shrimp on both formal nights or if we should book those nights in the Crown. Also, is Sabatini's worth it? Thanks for your input![/QUOTE]

We sailed on the Star to Mexico just a few weeks ago. The lobster was served in the MDR on the second formal night. I must say, the lobster was excellent! We enjoyed a very nice dinner, including a lobster course, in Sabatini's on the first formal night. We've had great meals at Sabatini's, last year on the Emerald Princess TA & recently on the Star. On our recent cruise we also ate at the Crown Grill. The lobster in the Crown was very salty and in hindsight we should have sent it back. Our MDR dinner companions had an excellent steak meal at the Crown. The common denominator for both Sabatini's and the Crown is that we had excellent waiters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='Liz54']I think I can butt in and answer this!

In stores, the price will be rounded up or down. They may take your pennies but are not required to, so maybe the bank is the best place to drop it off. Older bills are no problem.+_[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply. After visiting BC, I must admit that I prefer the old style paper bills to the new plastic tender!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk