A Different Kind of Smoking Thread!

Fydlstyx

The best solution is the one I use. I am a smoker and obey the rules....in other words I don't smoke on my balcony! Even when it wasn't policy I didn't smoke on the balcony out of respect for my neighbors.

I obey the rules, as well, which is precisely why I smoke on my balcony.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I appreciate the thoughtful comments from those who shared their opinions civilly!

Happy Cruising!

Sherry

OP, since you are asking, a note isn't necessary but I'm sure would be appreciated. I would stop at the "I'm happy to go inside" part and leave off the band-aid etc. rest of it. That I found a bit strange, if you will.

:DThanks. It was not, of course, meant to be strange (or patronizing). Some here have said that people in other cabins would be rude, or were not approachable, and I was just trying to be neighborly. I know a note is not necessary, but really thought it might be better than having a neighbor either "suffer" in silence, or be snotty/nasty because they were ticked off.

I love Cruise Critic. It's interesting to see how differently people would react to things.

I would be thrilled to receive your note. It would mean that I would try and figure out when you are out and not go out at that time. It would mean though that I would also have some time when I knew that you wouldn't be out there smoking.

Also, I thought that cigar and pipe smoking were not allowed out on balconies as well.

tigercat

:DThanks. It was not, of course, meant to be strange (or patronizing). Some here have said that people in other cabins would be rude, or were not approachable, and I was just trying to be neighborly. I know a note is not necessary, but really thought it might be better than having a neighbor either "suffer" in silence, or be snotty/nasty because they were ticked off.

I love Cruise Critic. It's interesting to see how differently people would react to things.

These are probably the same people who have a crystal ball and can predict the behavior of people who they've never met before (I'm rolling my eyes as I type this but I need to stop before they get stuck). I would be ecstatic if you left me a note; in fact, I would have taken the time to find you, introduce myself and ask you to join me at the Schooner bar so I can buy you a drink, just to say thanks for being so courteous! Then we can people watch and make fun of what they're wearing!

this will be our first balcony.. I'm also a cigar/pipe smoker. isn't there usually pretty stiff breeze on the balconies? the first stop in Barcelona will be to pick up a box of Cuban cigars.

Just FYI....Royal Caribbean does not allow cigar/pipe smoking on balconies.

this will be our first balcony.. I'm also a cigar/pipe smoker. isn't there usually pretty stiff breeze on the balconies? the first stop in Barcelona will be to pick up a box of Cuban cigars.

Just FYI....Royal Caribbean does not allow cigar/pipe smoking on balconies.

No, not as stiff as one would think. Because of the wind dynamics around a moving cruise ship, with multiple cavities along the side created by balcony partitions, the wind has tendency to blow onto downwind balconies, and into staterooms if the balcony door is open. Smoke will hug the side of the ship looking for these cavities and will fill in that void. This phenomena is called vortexing. Many balconies downwind will be affected, especially those nearest to the balcony creating the smoke.

That is why some cruise line ban smoking on balconies, and most of those that do, such as Royal Caribbean, ban cigar and pipe smoking there.

These are probably the same people who have a crystal ball and can predict the behavior of people who they've never met before (I'm rolling my eyes as I type this but I need to stop before they get stuck). I would be ecstatic if you left me a note; in fact, I would have taken the time to find you, introduce myself and ask you to join me at the Schooner bar so I can buy you a drink, just to say thanks for being so courteous! Then we can people watch and make fun of what they're wearing!

Hahahaha! Thanks for the laugh. We can wear our bathrobes to the buffet if you want.

I think I have come upon a solution that will make balcony people happy. As a balcony smoker, I am thinking of putting a note in my neighbor's "mailbox" if there is one outside the cabins on our ship. If not, I will sticky tack it to their door. The note will say:

Hello Cabin #----- Neighbor,

I am a balcony smoker. My smoking is typically limited to when I wake up, and before I go to bed at night. If you plan to have a meal on your balcony, or happen to be spending time outdoors when I am smoking, and find that I am disturbing you with my smoke, please feel free to lean over and let me know. I will be happy to go inside and allow you to enjoy your meal in peace.

Additionally, I am a notorious over-packer, prepared for pretty much any eventuality, so should you be in need of a band-aid, some Dramamine, or something similar, you are welcome to knock on my cabin door and I will share whatever I have that you might need.

We hope to see you around the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Your neighbor in Cabin # ------

If you were the recipient of such a note, would you appreciate it, or would you think I was loonytunes?

Sherry

Sherry,

That seems to be very considerate of you.

The note would be OK, but leave out the extras of offering things. I’m the same way and have helped out people on cruises since I carry extra stuff also. After you meet your neighbors you might bring that other stuff up.

Which cabin would you leave the note in? I would assume the cabin that is aft of yours since the smoke would tend to go that direction if the ship was in motion.

If the ship is docked, maybe not good idea to smoke on the balcony.

Making communication with your neighbors is a good idea though and shows your consideration for other passengers.

The further aft your balcony is the less you bother, so choose and aft balcony.

Dr.Joe

I think that I would be happy to receive such a note from my neighbor. We have a difficult time with smoke, but would not complain to someone who was there lawfully enjoying thier smoke. Leaving the note, or simply saying it in person around the balcony partition would break the ice and make communicating about "problems" much more amicable if they did come up. I don't think that a smoker owes me this, but it sure would be welcomed in the same way that other common courtesies are welcomed.

Smoke that bothered us badly on one particular cruise came from the verandah below us. Two smokers stood at their rail every afternoon when we sailed and had one cigarette after another as we slowly slipped from the dock and made our way into the harbor in the Caribbean. We had to miss our sailaway on our beautiful verandah every day as their smoke came directly into our faces as we stood above them.

We had to go back into our cabin and they got to enjoy sailaway everyday.

Please do not tell me we should leave a cruise line we have sailed over 80 times so someone can be so selfish. This was a ten day cruise. They surely could have at least sat back at the table or chair away from the rail ONE afternoon to let us enjoy sailaway? People like that are unreasonable and do the rest of smokers no favor.

IMO

My husband and I would sincerely appreciate your note. Compromise is the adult and civilized way to approach life and you have found a perfect way to do that. I would be happy to have you as my 'cruise neighbor'!! :)

My husband and I would sincerely appreciate your note. Compromise is the adult and civilized way to approach life and you have found a perfect way to do that. I would be happy to have you as my 'cruise neighbor'!! :)

The note for those on either side is one thing.

What does that do for the people above them?

Smoke that bothered us badly on one particular cruise came from the verandah below us. Two smokers stood at their rail every afternoon when we sailed and had one cigarette after another as we slowly slipped from the dock and made our way into the harbor in the Caribbean. We had to miss our sailaway on our beautiful verandah every day as their smoke came directly into our faces as we stood above them.

We had to go back into our cabin and they got to enjoy sailaway everyday.

Please do not tell me we should leave a cruise line we have sailed over 80 times so someone can be so selfish. This was a ten day cruise. They surely could have at least sat back at the table or chair away from the rail ONE afternoon to let us enjoy sailaway? People like that are unreasonable and do the rest of smokers no favor.

IMO

unless you politely mentioned it to them I'll bet they had no idea they were causing so much consternation. if you had explained the problem maybe they would have been glad to work with you.

So those of you who would appreciate the note, how many do you want - either side, balcony below, above, two down either way? I just don't see how one note from a considerate person will matter that much if smoking is allowed on balconies, you will smell smoke at times...... That's how I would set my expectations.

So those of you who would appreciate the note, how many do you want - either side, balcony below, above, two down either way? I just don't see how one note from a considerate person will matter that much if smoking is allowed on balconies, you will smell smoke at times...... That's how I would set my expectations.

Crystal cruises banned smoking on balconies a while back.

As smoking areas on ships get more and more limited I predict that the cruise lines with the most liberal smoking policy will pick up business from other companies.

And to reply to the original posting on this thread: if someone left a polite note at my room about smoking, I may well buy them a drink or 2.... in a non-smoking bar.

unless you politely mentioned it to them I'll bet they had no idea they were causing so much consternation. if you had explained the problem maybe they would have been glad to work with you.

The response was 'it's allowed'. Period.

It is VERY rare when neighbors on a cruise ship work out this smoking/non smoking on verandah issue..... in real life. On paper and theory, it all sounds so congenial but that is not a common reality.

It is VERY rare when neighbors on a cruise ship work out this smoking/non smoking on verandah issue..... in real life. On paper and theory, it all sounds so congenial but that is not a common reality.

you will never know if you didn't ask.. have a nice day

you will never know if you didn't ask.. have a nice day

You may have missed my post where I stated the response to our request was "smoking is permitted".

We asked. The smokers responded.

To the OP, we only travel on cruise lines that do not permit smoking on their balconies... so if I saw that note I'd seek you out to remind you of that policy.

According to your signature, I see your next trip is with NCL which allows smoking on their balconies. If it is that important to you to be able to smoke on your balcony, I'd go on cruise lines that allow it and not worry to much - you are allowed.

Archived