Vote: Which is your favorite river cruise line?

My favorite river cruise line is....  

503 members have voted

1. 1. My favorite river cruise line is....

• Avalon Waterways
    • Scenic
    • Viking River
    • Tauck
    • AMAWaterways
    • American Cruise Line (Queen of the Mississippi)
    • Uniworld
    • Grand Circle
    • American Queen Steamboat
    • A-ROSA
    • Don't know yet; I'm a river cruise virgin.

We were on the Affinity April 15-22, (Amsterdam to Basel) lost an engine the first day and didn't make Cologne (they bused those that wanted to go from Dusseldorf). We stayed in Dusseldorf. Then we didn't make Basel to end the cruise because the river was too high because of snow in Switzerland. Avalon handled it very well and they bused us from Breisach to the Basel train station to catch our train to Paris. We've always enjoyed Avalon and have had top notch service. Our captain on this cruise was so visible, always there at the gangway to welcome us back onboard and had an "open wheelhouse" policy. This was our second Avalon cruise, our first was the Danube and we have to say we liked the Danube better than the Rhine, but enjoyed both.

Hi, MarkBearSF. Looking forward to AMAPrima later this summer!!!

Carolyn

Ill be anxious for a review! We are booked on this as our first river cruise. We chose it based on feedback here about the age demographics of various lines. We are younger and very active, and we wanted an active experience (cycling, and aggressively paced touring; even on our own).

Honestly, there is so little "negative" out there about any of the lines...and it's not for lack of a forum;), that I have to believe any of them would be great. Seems like a matter of learning about each line to fine tune your own needs to the strengths of that line! My friends traveling with kids loved Tauck, my retired friends swear by Grand Circle or Vantage. So in the end, it's all about fit...so I hope to hear more about you AMAPrima voyage, to make sure it " fits" us! Is it a special CC cruise, or one your own?

Coisieurope for me totally cosmopolitan and at 60 I was one of the oldest on board.

We did their Paris-Rouen-Honfleur then return route. That was our first cruise of any kind so we cannot draw comparisons. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruising and the shore excursions, the staff and the vessel, Renoir. We would consider CroiseEurope before others for our next river cruise as they provide an excellent pricing structure for a very pleasant experience.

Great point. For the most part, the mainstream itineraries -- Rhine, Danube, Seine, Rhone -- are operated by the cruise lines (though they may or may not own the ships). Where the experience can differ is when they put their pax on charters (for instance Avalon is selling American Queen Steamboat on the Mississippi but it's not operating the cruises, American Queen is). Egypt requires all international companies to have an Egyptian partner; this caused Uniworld some heartburn a few years ago with River Tosca. Russia's the same.

It's complicated.

Carolyn

Hi, Carolyn,

This might be an interesting topic for a Cruise Critic article... I'm thinking of a possible 2015 Russia river cruise (my 2014 trips are already planned), and it would be good to know all the pros and cons of the various arrangements.

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio. It's on the docket. The idea of it makes my head spin :) -- but you're absolutely right, it would be a good story and we'll have it by the end of summer.

Carolyn

Hi, Carolyn,

This might be an interesting topic for a Cruise Critic article... I'm thinking of a possible 2015 Russia river cruise (my 2014 trips are already planned), and it would be good to know all the pros and cons of the various arrangements.

Sergio

Why is Vantage not listed? They are one of the most well known and have very reasonable prices (unlike some of the others) - I just don't understand why you left them off this survey??? :confused:

Thanks, Sergio. It's on the docket. The idea of it makes my head spin :) -- but you're absolutely right, it would be a good story and we'll have it by the end of summer.

Carolyn

That's great, Carolyn! If you're interested, and the deadline is "end of summer", I would volunteer to take on the task myself...

Sergio

After read all the comments, it appears the most important criteria for choosing a cruise line is itinerary, quality of product and attention to detail but very few mention price. I wondering why? Is price not that important?

John

I voted Tauck because I think it is the very best. They had everything we were looking for and they delivered all they promised and then more when we cruised with them in 2011. U.S Customers keep commenting that Tauck is too expensive well I'm sure if you do your homework and look at all the "extra's" you have to pay for on some other lines the Tauck price looks good. With a strong Aussie dollar a number of other river cruise companies are actually more expensive than Tauck. We are looking at a French river cruise for August/September 2014 and even in this early stage of planning nothing from any other river cruise line has jumped up and said "pick us - we offer more than Tauck".

Because I messed up! Again, apologies. But I'm curious -- you have done a few river cruises. Do you not have a favorite? Or is it you can't decide? Tell us why in either case!

Thanks.

Carolyn

Sorry for late response. Yes we have been on Viking and Avalon as well as a ghastly experience on a thing called the MV Diana :eek:. I cant say I`ve got a favourite. There are aspects of river cruising in general that I like- just sailing along and relaxing as we enjoy the view, the company and the immediacy of the landing areas- right in the middle of small towns and villages. I dont like the tendency to regimentation though: the name badges, the very early morning starts to get on a bus to see some "vital" museum or old church. We just dont do it. We bin the badges and only go on the trips we want to and frequently bale out if they`re boring. Thats usually OK but the cruise director on our last trip made frequent derogatory comments on our "independence". Viking food was disappointing as another guest said it was like "cheap wedding reception food". I didnt like the hard edged modernity of the Avalon ships - laminate floors , little backless foam stools etc it was just plain uncomfortable to be in the lounge area.

We`re booked on Viking again this year for a Douro trip- chosen because of itinerary. We`re wondering about the quality of the included hotel stay for the first part though. The hotel stay included in the Grand France Avalon trip was appalling and a very poor end to the cruise. So I cant say either is a favourite - yet!

Sounds magical! Hope you'll write a review....

Carolyn

We are taking our first RC this coming December on Viking, Paris/Rouen/Paris. After doing many weeks of research, Viking offered the itinerary we were looking for at a price that I was willing to pay. Our DD wanted to be in Pairs around Christmas and this is our graduation gift to her for getting a full scholarship for the past 3 years of college. We are allowing her to bring along her best friend also, so it is a win/win for all involved, :)

Great insights, Nippy Sweetie, and thank you.

Re the hotel -- check it out on TripAdvisor, see if you have something to worry about. If so, you might have time to get it changed. If not, you'll relax.

I'm with you. The tours are boring. Now if you do a tour that gives me access to an experience I couldn't get on my own, I'm there (am thinking for instance of a Viking River tour I wrote about in Conde Nast Traveler's Daily Traveler blog -- in Prague you visit a castle and museum and the tour is led by the prince of the castle. So much better than a regular guide!

Carolyn

Sorry for late response. Yes we have been on Viking and Avalon as well as a ghastly experience on a thing called the MV Diana :eek:. I cant say I`ve got a favourite. There are aspects of river cruising in general that I like- just sailing along and relaxing as we enjoy the view, the company and the immediacy of the landing areas- right in the middle of small towns and villages. I dont like the tendency to regimentation though: the name badges, the very early morning starts to get on a bus to see some "vital" museum or old church. We just dont do it. We bin the badges and only go on the trips we want to and frequently bale out if they`re boring. Thats usually OK but the cruise director on our last trip made frequent derogatory comments on our "independence". Viking food was disappointing as another guest said it was like "cheap wedding reception food". I didnt like the hard edged modernity of the Avalon ships - laminate floors , little backless foam stools etc it was just plain uncomfortable to be in the lounge area.

We`re booked on Viking again this year for a Douro trip- chosen because of itinerary. We`re wondering about the quality of the included hotel stay for the first part though. The hotel stay included in the Grand France Avalon trip was appalling and a very poor end to the cruise. So I cant say either is a favourite - yet!

Solidly hands down it's Uniworld!! Loved ocean cruising with Regent & Oceania and Uniworld is only river cruise company that comes close to their level of service and ships. Will be doing 4th river cruise w/ Uniworld in Italy this Sep. Can't wait!!

A class act from attention to detail to the high quality furnishings and fabrics, to food and its presentation, to the handling of problems, high water, low water, frozen canal.

When the chips are down it is how a problem is handled. They seem to be ahead of the curve. Top Notch:)

With the number of ships that most companies have, there can be significant differences (IMHO) within the same cruise line.

Many rave about AMA, but that wasn't our favourite cruise. The Cruise Manager was the "weakest" we have cruised with so far, and the food slightly above average. I don't think that is probably true for all of their cruises, so would cruise with them again if the rest of the stars align.

The newness of the boat isn't as important to me as the condition of the boat. Are the floors clean? Is the hand sanitizer empty? Are your cabin amenities replaced as they are used?

I do agree that HOW the company deals with unplanned issue is important. We had a glitch with air conditioning on our recent cruise. Viking head office has been quite responsive --> wish the Captain and/or Hotel Manager on the boat was as quick to respond. But, is that an issue of Viking, or the people themselves? However, the staff were very concerned when a woman broke her hip on our recent cruise - and were strong advocates to assist with travel arrangements to get her back home for treatment.

I have very fond memories of all of my cruises - and can laugh about any "glitches" so far. I consider myself very fortunate to have done 6 cruises - with 2 more booked - and would find it very hard to vote for a "favourite".

Fran

We had traveled with Viking on two river cruises, Danube and Russia, but chose AMA Waterways for our Mekong river cruise. It ended up being our favorite river trip and we felt that AMA was a notch above Viking in many respects. A problem with our cabin the first night was solved quickly with a move to a new one. Gracious staff and wonderful Asian food options. The plunge pool was a plus in that hot climate. Viking was OK, but nothing special. For another river cruise, we would choose AMA or the well reviewed Uniworld, depending on schedules.

Booked Castles on the Rhine yesterday for May 2014 and cabins already going fast. Love the number of possible sailings to choose from and have chosen over 6 of them in past. Used other companies as well but always go back to Uniworld. Those of you who have experienced issues are right - it does make a difference on how the issue(s) are resolved. A few on our past sailings were handled impeccably from hospital stays to arriving in Lisbon for a Douro sailing two days after the new Heathrow opened and no one of our group (about 30) arrived with luggage. The Uniworld rep went above and beyond to locate luggage before sailing. She was amazing and successful.

I have sailed with both Avalon and AMA. Both trips were wonderful, but our Avalon stateroom was extremely warm...87 degrees, and that was in May, in France (not an especially warm time of the year!). The dining room was extremely hot as well, (all the passengers were miserable!) and finally on the second or third night they used some portable fans in the dining room. One of the officers came to our room because we were unable to sleep at night (2 nights), and I had really had it, but the officer who came to our cabin claimed there was "nothing wrong with the a/c." Well, that answer was totally unacceptable to us,band obviously untrue! They finally agreed to put a fan in our room, but I am not too eager to book another Avalon tour. Our trip was through "Burgundy and Provence," and we had a great time otherwise.

Our AMA trip was "Tulips & Windmills," on a brand new ship (Amaverde) and I can't say enough wonderful things about the staff, food, ship, twin balcony cabin & the excursions. We are really looking forward to our next river cruise with AMA!