Vote: Which is your favorite river cruise line?

My favorite river cruise line is....  

503 members have voted

1. 1. My favorite river cruise line is....

• Avalon Waterways
    • Scenic
    • Viking River
    • Tauck
    • AMAWaterways
    • American Cruise Line (Queen of the Mississippi)
    • Uniworld
    • Grand Circle
    • American Queen Steamboat
    • A-ROSA
    • Don't know yet; I'm a river cruise virgin.

Viking River Cruise Line has my vote! Everything is always perfect -- from the temperature of the water in the shower to the temperature of the meals they serve onboard. The excursions are interesting and fun. They are the BEST!

SaillingGurl

Sad, Sippican, that you will ignore polls.

Polls are by no means meant to drive you to a particular line/river. They're meant to inspire sharing of experiences. Hope you will do so moving forward, and by the way, if you have a fresh idea for a poll, feel free to launch it!

Carolyn

As you can see by my post count, I am a reader and frequently contributor. I place high value on the conversations that happen on these boards. The actual sharing of experiences is accomplished every day as members pass along their wisdom and feel free to seek answers to their questions. I think you missed the reason for my statement, once the commercial interference becomes involved, in the "numbers" aspect, the spirit of the poll is lost. So reading the comments - smart, ignoring the poll numbers, not so sad IMHO.

Although we see this as fun, the cruise lines take it as gospel. One of the early posts had Carolyn saying that we could have voted for more than one line. Doing that totally messes the "poll". CC doesn't have to release the poll--as we can see at least 2 companies are asking clients to vote. Got one from AMA just last evening. Interested just have to print out the page and voila they can use it. It is not that I don't pay attention to posts, I just don't put a lot of credence in them. At least here on CC we can read reasons for the vote--that part is interesting for me. Pat

Hi. Tell us, in our poll, which is your favorite river cruise line (you can vote for more than one). Feel like telling us why? Please share below. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Amawaterways wins our vote hands down! It's an "Ama"mzing experience to have staff care so very much about everything involved in this type of vacation and learning experience!

Hi. Tell us, in our poll, which is your favorite river cruise line (you can vote for more than one). Feel like telling us why? Please share below. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite River Cruise line is Viking. Had a wonderful holiday on the Danube last year and am shortly taking another cruise with them - 'A Passage to Eastern Europe'. Have already booked a further two cruises with them for 2014.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hello Carolyn,

I travelled with a girlfriend fom Budapest to Amsterdam on board the Prestige. We had the most wonderful trip - food was beautiful, staff were so helpful - even naming a drink after us - Australian Lemonade= the final feather in our cap was that we were invited to have dinner with the captain and the hotel manager. We were told it was because we kept everybody in really good spirits - we were always laughing. We are travelling again on Viking - doing the Russian St Petersberg to Moscow trip. Cant wait

Joy Lewis

Edited by laugher

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

VIKING RIVER CRUISES gets my vote. Fantastic ships, staff, food, destinations. I could go on. Nothing left to chance and everything taken care off.

This entire thread is interesting. As a seldom user of CC, I didn't know to look for the "number of posts" by posters, but it does look like certain travelers were encouraged, while other travelers were not.

Our 3 river cruises with Grand Circle were terrific (1. Normandy to Paris, 2. Rhine and Mosel, and 3. Danube Prague to Budapest. and scheduled Florence, Tuscany and the French Riveria) The drivers for us going to GC were the itineraries and price. However, after cruising with them, the service is excellent and like most of the posters, we found no reason to change. We always were able to find pretty deep discounts, that based on our comparisons, left us well under the price of traveling with other firms, notably Viking, which has an excellent reputation. Even considering optional tours and tips, etc., we felt that the prices were much better than Viking. We did not compare other lines beyond Viking.

If I was to be picky, while the breakfasts and lunches with GC were very good, I think the dinner quality could be picked up a little. Also, GC is correctly known for it's older clientele (probably marginal vs. other river cruises, but even older), and if I was 30 or 40, that maybe something to consider.

But the service is exceptional. I think river cruises are representative of the push for much improved customer service internationally, but in particular for U.S. travelers. The cruise lines know that they must provide excellent customer service or be left behind, and we are the rightful beneficiaries of it...since we are paying the tab. And you see the results in most of the river cruise travelers enjoying their trips very much, irrespective of cruise lines.

We have been on AMA Waterways twice in the past nine months. Without adoubt they are top drawer. Extra service, great staff. They know how to work out any difficulties that arise with river boating.

I have had a number of clients on both AMA and Viking recently. Good feedback on all BUT AMA Waterways tops the list on re-bookings by everyone.

Being 'family owned' really comes thru on attitudes from the staffs.

Five star in my book

I have travelled with a girlfriend on the Viking Prestige from Budapest to Amsterdam. Our cabin was excellent - just enough room without being too big and feeling lost - the french balcony was a surprise but nice.

The food on board was excellent - we had plenty of time to intermingle with the other passenges - in fact I think we spent the whole trip laughing. Due to our thorough enjoyment we had dinner with the Captain and the Hotel Managefr on the last night of the cruise.

The tours on shore were well conducted with Viking Staff being our 'baby sitters' whilst on shore. Also we had plenty of free time to enjoy the shops in the small villages - which in some cases were better stocked than larger shopping areas.

All in all Viking were wonderful - cannot wait to do our next cruise with them.

Joy Lewis:)

Hi Carolyn

Now a CC member (Stretchcruz) states that AMA sent out an e-mail for people to vote in the poll. If true, this poll is not very accurate and a little skewed for sure. But, I still find the comments very informative and interesting.

Carolyn, I give you credit for trying. The idea was great. Also, I agree with you this is not a "public grab" by Cruise Critic.

Since May 4th you had 144 posts which shows an genuine interest in river cruising. The popularity is defiantly growing. Your comment about keeping the poll open for to long (three weeks) has some merit.

Also, I find someone (aquaeyz) posting as yourself totally wrong.

John

My husband and I have done four River cruises with AMA waterways. They are the best as far as we are concerned. The service is top notch and their loyalty program cannot be beat. The itinerary is great and everyday waking up is exciting because there is always something going on. You can participate in tours or just relax. We are treated as if we are the only passengers on board. Love this line. Bart and Sara Wright

In my opinion unless you have traveled with every river cruse company, you cannot make a decision about which one is best. Then again, what is best for one person may not be best for another. Each line has its pros and cons.

Each has his/her favorite and will usually stick with that line because of finding a comfort level, whether that be price, food, tours, accommodations, etc. or a combination of any or all of those things.

I, for one, will be taking my first river cruise in five short weeks. I have done lots of research and have decided on Tauck. Does that mean I think the other lines are not good? Not by any means. Just that at this time Tauck seems to fulfill my needs and I can afford to pay their price.

Happy cruising to all.

Terri

In my opinion unless you have traveled with every river cruse company, you cannot make a decision about which one is best. Then again, what is best for one person may not be best for another. Each line has its pros and cons.

Each has his/her favorite and will usually stick with that line because of finding a comfort level, whether that be price, food, tours, accommodations, etc. or a combination of any or all of those things.

I, for one, will be taking my first river cruise in five short weeks. I have done lots of research and have decided on Tauck. Does that mean I think the other lines are not good? Not by any means. Just that at this time Tauck seems to fulfill my needs and I can afford to pay their price.

Happy cruising to all.

Terri

Excellent points! There are a few cruisers on here that have experienced a number of cruise lines in different locales, and their views can be vakuable. But many are happy with their initial choice and stay with that company.

I'm always amazed how some will dismiss a particular company based on as little as a walk-through when ships are "rafted" at a port. I have no problem that, in their view, that ship may not be attractive to them but, on that impressionistic basis, I personally would be reluctant to make recommendations to others.

Thus, I believe, any of these polls, whether here or from magazines, are of interest but limited valuable.

I would also add, that much of the onboard experience depends upon the staff, especially the CD, who is assigned to that cruise. We were on a so-called "upscale" cruise and encountered a Hotel Director who was incredibly unconcerned about an issue we had in using our stateroom . I'm certain that was an anomaly.

Enjoy your first cruise and I'll be looking forward to your assessment.

Thanks, John99!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

Now a CC member (Stretchcruz) states that AMA sent out an e-mail for people to vote in the poll. If true, this poll is not very accurate and a little skewed for sure. But, I still find the comments very informative and interesting.

Carolyn, I give you credit for trying. The idea was great. Also, I agree with you this is not a "public grab" by Cruise Critic.

Since May 4th you had 144 posts which shows an genuine interest in river cruising. The popularity is defiantly growing. Your comment about keeping the poll open for to long (three weeks) has some merit.

Also, I find someone (aquaeyz) posting as yourself totally wrong.

John

Gotcha, Sippican, and thanks for clarifying :) --

Carolyn

As you can see by my post count, I am a reader and frequently contributor. I place high value on the conversations that happen on these boards. The actual sharing of experiences is accomplished every day as members pass along their wisdom and feel free to seek answers to their questions. I think you missed the reason for my statement, once the commercial interference becomes involved, in the "numbers" aspect, the spirit of the poll is lost. So reading the comments - smart, ignoring the poll numbers, not so sad IMHO.