Vote: Which is your favorite river cruise line?

My favorite river cruise line is....  

503 members have voted

1. 1. My favorite river cruise line is....

• Avalon Waterways
    • Scenic
    • Viking River
    • Tauck
    • AMAWaterways
    • American Cruise Line (Queen of the Mississippi)
    • Uniworld
    • Grand Circle
    • American Queen Steamboat
    • A-ROSA
    • Don't know yet; I'm a river cruise virgin.

Sorry, my bad Pacmom. When I said you could vote for more than one I meant the one time you vote, you can vote for more than one (that's for people who've done a few different lines). But once you've voted, you're done. Can't vote again.

Thanks for bringing that up, though, cause I had forgotten!

Carolyn

Although we see this as fun, the cruise lines take it as gospel. One of the early posts had Carolyn saying that we could have voted for more than one line. Doing that totally messes the "poll". CC doesn't have to release the poll--as we can see at least 2 companies are asking clients to vote. Got one from AMA just last evening. Interested just have to print out the page and voila they can use it. It is not that I don't pay attention to posts, I just don't put a lot of credence in them. At least here on CC we can read reasons for the vote--that part is interesting for me. Pat

My wife sometimes says I'm a reasonably smart guy (usually right after I do something dumb), so I volunteer to settle the issue of best river cruise company..... right after Cruise Critic sends me on a free sample cruise on each line!!!

My wife sometimes says I'm a reasonably smart guy (usually right after I do something dumb), so I volunteer to settle the issue of best river cruise company..... right after Cruise Critic sends me on a free sample cruise on each line!!!

.....she only says that for the "bennies" you get like free cruises I bet....:D

At 21000 views, this poll certainly has created some interest.

While, like others, I doubt its validity, I also question the validity of polls cast in travel magazines. Cruise lines also ask former cruisers to cast ballots there.

On the other hand, if the lines were really worried about reactions to their product, they wouldn't be plumping for participation.

As pacmom notes, the comments are interesting.

Excellent points! There are a few cruisers on here that have experienced a number of cruise lines in different locales, and their views can be vakuable. But many are happy with their initial choice and stay with that company.

I'm always amazed how some will dismiss a particular company based on as little as a walk-through when ships are "rafted" at a port. I have no problem that, in their view, that ship may not be attractive to them but, on that impressionistic basis, I personally would be reluctant to make recommendations to others.

Thus, I believe, any of these polls, whether here or from magazines, are of interest but limited valuable.

I would also add, that much of the onboard experience depends upon the staff, especially the CD, who is assigned to that cruise. We were on a so-called "upscale" cruise and encountered a Hotel Director who was incredibly unconcerned about an issue we had in using our stateroom . I'm certain that was an anomaly.

Enjoy your first cruise and I'll be looking forward to your assessment.

Actually requesting a Guided Walk Though Tour when rafted is not a bad suggestion. It might include and exclude some lines for us since we already know what we liked and did not like on the half dozen we have been on.

Unfortunately this poll has done little to otherwise be helpful.

I don't think it is such a bad thing that a couple of the river cruise lines have asked former passengers to come here to vote. We need more contributors to the River Cruising board and maybe those new folks will see the value of participating here and become active members. Now then, if these new folks are employees of those river cruise lines - that is not such a good thing.

We are newbies and will take our first river cruise next year, following many ocean cruises.

In my opinion unless you have traveled with every river cruse company, you cannot make a decision about which one is best. Then again, what is best for one person may not be best for another. Each line has its pros and cons.

Each has his/her favorite and will usually stick with that line because of finding a comfort level, whether that be price, food, tours, accommodations, etc. or a combination of any or all of those things.

I, for one, will be taking my first river cruise in five short weeks. I have done lots of research and have decided on Tauck. Does that mean I think the other lines are not good? Not by any means. Just that at this time Tauck seems to fulfill my needs and I can afford to pay their price.

Happy cruising to all.

Terri

EXCELLENT Points!

I did receive an e-mail form AMA Waterways telling me about the Cruise Critic riverboat poll and I was glad I did. My husband and I took a Christmas Markets cruise on Amacerto in December 2012 and it was the best cruise we have ever been on! We started in Prague and finished in Budapest. The staff aboard was spectacular and went above and beyond the call of duty especially when a water pipe burst underneath the dining room shortly before dinner one evening. All of the passengers were kept up to date on what was going on and dinner was served in the dining room just a little later than usual.

The reason I was happy to be contacted by AMA was because when my husband and I booked our cruise I couldn't find any information about river boat cruising on cruise critic so I say YEA let the word get out there about the fabulous journey's offered on riverboats.

We have only taken the one riverboat cruise and any others we may take will be hard pressed to beat our first riverboat cruise but if the other riverboat lines mentioned in the poll are are wonderful as AMA then none of the companies should have anything to worry about.

Thank you Cruise Critic for including the riverboat cruisers!

We absolutely LOVED our Danube River Cruise with AMA Waterways in Decemer, 2012. The accommodations, service, food, tours, personnel - everything and everyone was wonderful!! We hope to book a cruise with AMA again some time in the near future

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has certainly been interesting. I did not vote....I am actually

doing research and trying to figure out if a RiverCruise is in my future.

Seems as in all cruiselines, each one has people who love them.;)

I did notice one thing and that price is never mentioned....what would

be considered the "luxury line....mid line and lower line"?

I have received some information from AMA but that was because I

emailed them:)...they have 4 or 5 ships with single cabins...I always

sail solo and I know they were recommended to me by Caviargal.

Back to more research....any input would be fine with me too:D

This thread has certainly been interesting. I did not vote....I am actually

doing research and trying to figure out if a RiverCruise is in my future.

Seems as in all cruiselines, each one has people who love them.;)

I did notice one thing and that price is never mentioned....what would

be considered the "luxury line....mid line and lower line"?

I have received some information from AMA but that was because I

emailed them:)...they have 4 or 5 ships with single cabins...I always

sail solo and I know they were recommended to me by Caviargal.

Back to more research....any input would be fine with me too:D

Hi, Lois,

I've sailed twice on the Amadolce, one of those ships with single cabins. I also travel solo, and my only "problem" with the single cabin was the narrowness of the bed. The single bed was as narrow as half of the "double" bed on a regular cabin.

It wasn't a huge problem, but I do like to have more space to stretch during the night, but then I don't think that my situation was any different from that of a couple sleeping on the double bed.

I just came back from a cruise on the Amacerto, and I had a nice double bed all for myself, and I enjoyed having it. :)

A river cruise is a great experience, and AMA is excellent. I haven't sailed on any other river cruise line, but I have no reason to change now. AMA also has a nice loyalty program.

I would suggest an upper Danube (Prague to Budapest) or a Rhine/Moselle river cruise for your first attempt because of the beauty of the scenery and the towns along the way.

Sergio

I just came back from a cruise on the Amacerto, and I had a nice double bed all for myself, and I enjoyed having it. :)

A river cruise is a great experience, and AMA is excellent. I haven't sailed on any other river cruise line, but I have no reason to change now. AMA also has a nice loyalty program.

I would suggest an upper Danube (Prague to Budapest) or a Rhine/Moselle river cruise for your first attempt because of the beauty of the scenery and the towns along the way.

Sergio

We did the AmaCerto from Budapest to Prague last November, spending time on our own in both cities independently. The AmaCerto was stunning and the best of the river boats we have yet sailed on. Everything about it was first rate and we just booked the AmaPrima this past week for the Christmas and NYE cruise. They are offering a great promo and we don't have kids and often travel that week as my husband's office is closed and it is vacation time for him.

Lois, IMO budget lines are Vantage and GCT, luxury is Tauck, premium is AMA and Uniworld and probably Avalon. I would put Viking between premium and budget, based on what I know about the line, what I have seen of their boats in port and the feedback from clients and colleagues that have cruised with them. I know nothing about Scenic and am interested in A-Rosa.

For a different perspective not based on my personal preferences, I have an 80% repeater rate for my clients that have cruised with AMA, no repeaters from the handful of Viking cruises I have sold, and had some repeaters on Avalon until they cruised with AMA last year. They (6 couples) have booked again with me for AMA in 2014.

Edited by caviargal

Hi, Lois,

I've sailed twice on the Amadolce, one of those ships with single cabins. I also travel solo, and my only "problem" with the single cabin was the narrowness of the bed. The single bed was as narrow as half of the "double" bed on a regular cabin.

It wasn't a huge problem, but I do like to have more space to stretch during the night, but then I don't think that my situation was any different from that of a couple sleeping on the double bed.

Sergio

Hi Sergio,:) thanks for the reply. So basically you had a twin bed then.

I would be ok with that....I mean I do have a double bed here at

home but would be ok with a twin.

And I appreciate the suggestions on itineraries. I haven't been

to any of those places before. I just went on my first cruise to the

Med last year and it was sooooo awesome!:D

We did the AmaCerto from Budapest to Prague last November, spending time on our own in both cities independently. The AmaCerto was stunning and the best of the river boats we have yet sailed on. Everything about it was first rate and we just booked the AmaPrima this past week for the Christmas and NYE cruise. They are offering a great promo and we don't have kids and often travel that week as my husband's office is closed and it is vacation time for him.

Lois, IMO budget lines are Vantage and GCT, luxury is Tauck, premium is AMA and Uniworld and probably Avalon. I would put Viking between premium and budget, based on what I know about the line, what I have seen of their boats in port and the feedback from clients and colleagues that have cruised with them. I know nothing about Scenic and am interested in A-Rosa.

For a different perspective not based on my personal preferences, I have an 80% repeater rate for my clients that have cruised with AMA, no repeaters from the handful of Viking cruises I have sold, and had some repeaters on Avalon until they cruised with AMA last year. They (6 couples) have booked again with me for AMA in 2014.

Hi Kim, thanks for all the information:)

I find it very interesting that the Editor responded to and communicated with many people.

..... But never to or with anyone who mentioned Vantage and even when they specifically asked why Vantage was not included as a choice in this poll.

I wonder why this is? I wonder if the Editor will respond to this question regarding Vantage?

Edited by needtimetotravel

Well, I can't really say who my favorite line is with since we are leaving for our first river cruise in 2 weeks aboard Viking. I certainly hope that Viking lives up to our expectations!

In reading through this poll, I find it interesting that there were so many ready to accuse Viking of gaming the poll when they pulled ahead of AMA when there have been several posts of cruisers who shared that AMA specifically asked them to participate but no one has said the same about Viking. I'm sure that if Viking had sent out an email to past cruisers, as AMA appears to have done, someone would have posted that email.

It appears that even here on the Cruise Critic message boards, conspiracy theorists are alive and well! :eek:

Having said that, AMA also sounds like a great cruise line. Hopefully, we will be fortunate to enjoy several lines. Although who knows, like many others here, we may end up so happy with Viking that we decide to stay faithful to them! Actually, I suspect itinerary will rule, as I have Ocean cruised with 5 or 6 ocean lines based on itinerary despite having a favorite!

In reading through this poll, I find it interesting that there were so many ready to accuse Viking of gaming the poll when they pulled ahead of AMA when there have been several posts of cruisers who shared that AMA specifically asked them to participate but no one has said the same about Viking. I'm sure that if Viking had sent out an email to past cruisers, as AMA appears to have done, someone would have posted that email.

It appears that even here on the Cruise Critic message boards, conspiracy theorists are alive and well! :eek:

I guess I must be one of those "conspiracy theorists" you mention :D ! Post counts are sometimes useful in understanding the background of a contributor. I found it interesting that beginning around page 4 of this thread there were posts in favor of Viking appearing from newbies. Other frequent posters noticed this too. One might wonder how they found Cruise Critic, or why they have not continued to participate in discussions?

I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise. Welcome to the boards. I hope you come back to let us know all about your experiences.

On occasion some of the cruise lines do waive the single supplement so as a solo traveller you get a regular cabin. The cruises are usually the first or last of the season. Hope this helps?

Thanks so much:) AMA does have single cabins.....spoke with them

this morning for a bit but I need to call back from home;)....work

gets in the way...how dare it?:D