What should i know about taking a transatlantic cruise

arcone

we are considering taking a transatlantic cruise from Spain to New Orleans in November which will be our first transatlantic cruise. is there any advise or information I should consider. I am wondering if we should stay with our usually Mexico or Caribbean cruise.

If you like sea days, take a TA. If not, stick with Mexico and the Caribbean.

TA cruises are wonderful (I say that expertly with my one TA under my belt ;)). Fellow TA cruisers are equally wonderful.

we are considering taking a transatlantic cruise from Spain to New Orleans in November which will be our first transatlantic cruise. is there any advise or information I should consider. I am wondering if we should stay with our usually Mexico or Caribbean cruise.

Things you should know about taking a TA:

1) You will become addicted and want to do another one the following year

2) You will fall in love with Barcelona and all the fabulous sites (Gaudi) and delicious food and wine

3) You will be so relaxed and rested - especially since you get an extra hour every night as you cross the Atlantic (so no jet lag coming home).

4) The ship becomes your home and you become very comfortable and familiar with your surroundings and fellow cruisers.

5) You will meet a great bunch of people and make lifelong friends...

6)....as you can see from the current Sunshine roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1589661&page=128

Hope you decide to join us :D:D

We had an inside room for the twelve days. We decided to spend the (balcony) money on the boat-sponsored excursions instead.

We would rather be out with others than sitting in our room, even though it would be on a private balcony.

That said, people really do LOVE their balcony rooms.

well I am doing my first in November a balcony cabin Aqua Class on Celebrity, they have their own dining room was 100.00/day with gratuities paid.

I like having the outside space of a balcony and used ours for the Alaskan cruise we took last year even though it was cool out.

TAs tend to have an older crowd due to the length of the cruise and you usually have a lot of seasoned cruisers so some places can be full.

Be aware that you do have a lot of time on your hands, if you like port intensive cruises then you may want to rethink, but if you want the chance to spend some time in Spain then take a slow trip back the cruise is a bit more than airfare but look at how much more you get. Many people use points/airline miles or the cruise line for airfare.

You won't know until you try so go for it just bring stuff to fill your time, such as a few good books on a e reader maybe a training course from work (if you are that kind of person) don't count on great internet service. They usually have some interesting lecturers, if the lecture interests you!

Check out the roll call for the cruise you are thinking about to get a feel for things. not sure of which ship/line you are thinking of but I think most of the cruises have higher prices right now so you may want to check out some of the web sites that track cruise prices or ask your TA.

if you can afford to wait a bit you may be able to get a deal as there are probably over a dozen ships doing the TA dance this fall.

If you don't mind the sea days you will enjoy it. We have done 3 TAs and love them. We prefer the spring ones as the weather tends to be better IMO. It's a perfect time to relax. While I was working it was great to be able to leave the job behind and unwind. I enjoyed spending a little time on the balcony reading a novel for a change, getting up when I wanted and eating (and drinking) when I felt like it. We have met quite a few new friends while doing the TAs. Generally the price is right too and besides the sea days you get to some fantastic ports. I know that some folks don't want to spend the extra for a balcony. Realistically you spend so little time in the cabin (only to sleep & change for diner --well, some use it more for other things:D) but I got hooked on balconies a while back and find it hard to go to an inside or OV.

I would definitely say you should do the TA if you have a chance. There is so much history to see in Europe once you get there. Have a great time whatever you decide. Any day on a ship is better than a day in the office. :)

We are looking at one as well....we've been told to splurge for a balcony for this cruise....but we arent sure as they are ALOT more then we want to pay

I have taken transatlantic cruises with and without balconies and I would not spend the money for a balcony unless it wasn't much more. Of course, I do not ptrticularly enjoy sitting on a balcony for more than a few minutes at a time.

In addition, in November the weather may be bad until you get closer to the Carribean.

My wife and I are balcony lovers. We don't spend all day on it, but I like to sit on ours while the wife is getting ready in the morning or refreshing herself later in the day. We also tend to be "cabin people". We get up, go do something, come back to the cabin, go do something, come back to the cabin, repeat. So for me, it's worth it.

I'm also looking at the 11/1/13 TA, but stumped by airfare. I found a couple options where I could do one way airfare, but with unfamiliar airlines. I'm also reading that if you book a round-trip and don't use the return, the airline can charge you the difference. Suggestions?

From our experience, if the TA you're considering leaves from Barcelona, try to go a few days early (if you can) to see the city before you board the ship. Due to jetlag, by the time we got off our overnight flight to Spain for our TA, we were so tired that we couldn't see and enjoy all that Barcelona had to offer. We'll do it differently if/when we do it again. ;)

As a TA sails generally in one direction (west for you), the port side will be facing south and get lots of sun while the starboard cabins will facing north. Depending on your disposition to the sun it may factor into your cabin selection.

Then again, the Atlantic will probably be cloudy and rough in November. Still I'm a bit jealous.

As a TA sails generally in one direction (west for you), the port side will be facing south and get lots of sun while the starboard cabins will facing north. Depending on your disposition to the sun it may factor into your cabin selection.

Then again, the Atlantic will probably be cloudy and rough in November. Still I'm a bit jealous.

I have only been on one TA, the Breeze in November 2012. Maybe we were incredibly fortunate, but we had GORGEOUS weather and calm seas all the way across the Atlantic. I was expecting cloudy skies and rough seas but it didn't happen. I'm booked on the Sunshine TA this November and am of course hoping for fabulous weather again on this crossing.

I'm also looking at the 11/1/13 TA, but stumped by airfare. I found a couple options where I could do one way airfare, but with unfamiliar airlines. I'm also reading that if you book a round-trip and don't use the return, the airline can charge you the difference. Suggestions?

I have seen some people suggest using airfare through the cruise line for a TA. However, my feeling is that it's like booking a guarantee cabin. You have to be happy with whatever the airline assigns you regarding flights.

I have seen some people suggest using airfare through the cruise line for a TA. However, my feeling is that it's like booking a guarantee cabin. You have to be happy with whatever the airline assigns you regarding flights.

I bought my one-way airfare through a consolidator and got a good fare. I know there can be pitfalls with consolidators, but everything went fine for me last November and I'm hoping for the same this November. One-way fares booked through the airlines are incredibly expensive, and I have heard from someone in the industry that if you buy a round trip and don't use the return, the airline has the right to charge your credit card for the difference between what you paid and what you would have paid buying a one-way ticket.

My husband and I flew to Barcelona approximately 1-1/2 yrs ago and took the Magic to Galveston. The airfare Carnival booked was great, very good price and no problems except I hate long flights! We flew in a couple of days early so we could rest up for the cruise. As soon as our flights were booked I went online and made any necessary changes in our seats. We had good weather all the way to Galveston. We are flying to Barcelona the end of October and will be on the cruise to New Orleans.

My husband and I flew to Barcelona approximately 1-1/2 yrs ago and took the Magic to Galveston. The airfare Carnival booked was great, very good price and no problems except I hate long flights! We flew in a couple of days early so we could rest up for the cruise. As soon as our flights were booked I went online and made any necessary changes in our seats. We had good weather all the way to Galveston. We are flying to Barcelona the end of October and will be on the cruise to New Orleans.

Please come join the roll call for the TA - we are on page 130 already! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1589661&page=130

Okay, we flew to London Heathrow and spent a few days in London. We boarded the QE2 in Southampton and sailed back to Philadelphia, PA. The crossing took 5 days and the month we did the crossing was April, and the temps were cool. This was in the early 80's and it was a special Transatlantic crossing, and my very first experience at sea. I'm happy we were able to sail on the QE2 and experience an ocean liner. I will say I was very queasy making the crossing and vowed never to cruise again, let alone do a transatlantic crossing. But.....17 cruises later and ready to book number 18, my queasiness has dissipated over the years. I would definitely do another TA, but probably in late Spring or early Summer.

Go for it!!!

Archived