Which MDR seating should AQ guests use?

We have always sailed in AQ so have a fairly basic question about trying the MDR.

On our first AQ cruise we asked the Blu M'd about a possible plan to use the MDR one evening. He seemed to think that we were unhappy with Blu, which we were not and we didn't get around to working out the details.

Last year we joined friends who were on MDR Select dining one evening using the upper floor of the MDR. I recall that it was suggested that we AQ guests should use the lower deck for the traditional dining times.

That suggestion seems less workable since we would not have an assigned table for early/late seating which must be less convenient all round.

So my questions...

when an AQ guest opts to go to the MDR do we use Select or Traditional seating?

Does it vary between sailings depending upon where the spare capacity is?

Is it possible to join friends on MDR select dining, but not if they are on traditional dining?

To which I would add the question: Can an AQ guest show up for MDR just part of the time, and how does that part get determined? Just show up, or ask ahead of time each time?

Actually, it varies by cruise...

The proper procedure is to ask the maitre d' in Blu how he would like you to handle dining in the MDR. In many/most cases they will just tell you to go to Select dining and wait in their (short) line. In other cases, they will ask if they can arrange it for you and you may be able to request early or late seating, if that's what you would prefer.

On all ships, select dining is on the upper level of the MDR.

Each cruise/each night is different. I stopped by earlier in the day to chat with the MDR Maitre D who told me to just "show up" at my preferred seating time.

When we arrived, he studied his seating chart and placed us at a lovely upstairs table by the railing where the assigned family was known to be eating in a Specialty restaurant.

PS - It's helpful for all involved to mention a change in your nightly norm - your table mates, and Maitre D, etc. - It helps them work everything out for all involved.

PSS - I had the same experience with my Blu staff - They were mortified that I wanted to try the MDR:eek:!

Quick question. We are thinking of taking the Silhouette next March, first time on Celebrity. Does Aqua class give you the privilege of dining in Blu or is it complementary as well? Thanks.

Quick question. We are thinking of taking the Silhouette next March, first time on Celebrity. Does Aqua class give you the privilege of dining in Blu or is it complementary as well? Thanks.

In addition, AquaClass staterooms include

• Dining
    • Exclusive access to Blu, a specialty restaurant featuring "clean cuisine" that also serves complimentary breakfast every day.

I also opt for 'select dining' for no other reason than I prefer to pay gratuities up front. AQ class passengers do not otherwise have to pre book because they have exclusive priority seating in Blu. By opting for select dining AQ class have the added option to dine in the upper floor of MDR should they feel like a change.:)

We are traveling with friends in March who have booked an AQ cabin. We are in a balcony with main dining room seating. Will they be able to request to be seated at a table with us?

mprcruiser

Blu is the default dining room for all AQ cabins, replaces the MDR and is free to all AQ staterooms. You will have to speak to the Maitre'd to see if they can eat with you since your table will probably be full. Perhaps on a night when someone at the table is eating in a specialty restaurant. You would be better off trying to eat in the Select dining area.

In addition, AquaClass staterooms include

• Dining
    • Exclusive access to Blu, a specialty restaurant featuring "clean cuisine" that also serves complimentary breakfast every day.

I also opt for 'select dining' for no other reason than I prefer to pay gratuities up front. AQ class passengers do not otherwise have to pre book because they have exclusive priority seating in Blu. By opting for select dining AQ class have the added option to dine in the upper floor of MDR should they feel like a change.:)

Your booking early/late/select has absolutely no bearing on where you might eat in the MDR, if you are booked in Aqua. It is only used to determine if the celebrity billing system bills you for gratuities in advance (if you pick select) or each day on the cruise (early/late). If you want to eat in the MDR, follow my instructions above....you will probably be told to go to select dining...but sometimes they ask you to join early or late dining.

We are traveling with friends in March who have booked an AQ cabin. We are in a balcony with main dining room seating. Will they be able to request to be seated at a table with us?

mprcruiser

You may request it but you will only be seated with them if another couple at the table dines elsewhere that night. Perhaps your friends could find out when someone will be eating in a specialty restaurant and then you could dine with them....with permission of the maitre d' of course.

We justgot off SOLSTICE aq so had blu a couple nights we liked the Mdr better but were told to come at 630 or 830 only this was select dining we were a party of six so that narrowed down our time.choices.

Loved blu and we are.spoiled rotten.

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Archived