Getting bumped from a handicap cabin?

mfhonli

:::::::::::donning flame-retardant suit:::::::::::::

Sorry, but I don't see any problem with booking an HC room in order to gain more space. I trust that if someone needs the cabin, I will be bumped, no problem. Carnival DOES make it very clear AS you are booking that this could happen. Besides that, I travel solo, so I'm paying 200%, dealwiddit! :p

I DO have a problem with the idea of my booking a year ahead (AND traveling from the Pacific NW to get there), and then getting bumped by someone at the last minute who lives in Florida who can cruise pretty much any time they want! :( That isn't fair IMO.

I don't remember the doors of my 4J's being any different from any other cabin door, but there is an emergency call rope pull in the shower and a button or something by the bed, so you want to be careful not to accidentally call someone to your cabin when you're starkers! :eek:

Carnival's goal is to fill every cabin. Period. If they keep the HC cabins out of inventory too long, they will sail with empty rooms.

I don't understand the part about getting bumped by someone from Florida. If they are handicapped what difference does it make?

I had one of these and wasn't sure I'd like it. Called and told them a few times I was very willing to move but they never moved me. What a cabin!

you are booking a year in advance and YOU book a HC room for the extra space..and YOU DON'T NEED IT. Then you have the balls to say "poor me its not fair if a HC person bumps me from a HC room that I BOOKED a year in advance. "

And then we are told to dealwidthit

and your not snarky....

thats like me saying "I am not handicapped either..:)"

reality is Carnival and the other cruise lines can do more too ensure these rooms are either BOOKED by HC people OR are the LAST ones to be booked..

but PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY plays a role here also...its not YOUR FAULT you asked for the HC room knowing it was HC..its THEIR fault...right??

Just because YOU can.. doesn't mean it is RIGHT.

I agree with you 100%, but you might as well be preaching to a rock.

I was on a waiting list for a HC cabin on the Splendor last year, but had to cancel the trip. It didn't sound like they were planning on bumping people, unless they were already filled by disabled cabins. There aren't that many HC cabins on the Splendor anyway, which was a disappointment.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Fault lies with the cruise line for not bumping, not the cruiser booking an available room.

I've been cruising Carnival for 10 yrs and never once have I heard proof of need isn't required. I assumed one would show medical papers as with parking, and someone would get bumped if needed. Which is a reasonable assumption. If I just looked up Carnival.com as a novice cruiser, none of this is explained. I certainly wouldn't know about the cruise lines lack of effort to assist the disabled.

I always thought if the room was needed at a later time, the occupant would be moved for the person in need. Which is the way it should be. Not everyone is booking the rooms to be selfish and malicious.

Edited by daremi1982

Fault lies with the cruise line for not bumping, not the cruiser booking an available room.

Common sense, and basic human kindness should tell anyone not in need not to book a HC room. It's like "stork parking" at some stores for pregnant women and families with infants - there's no law against parking there, but it would be nice of people to respect that.

Then again, we're a society that needs to be told that hot coffee is hot, so clearly some people need things spelled out for them very clearly.

Edited by irishnyc

you are booking a year in advance and YOU book a HC room for the extra space..and YOU DON'T NEED IT. Then you have the balls to say "poor me its not fair if a HC person bumps me from a HC room that I BOOKED a year in advance. "

And then we are told to dealwidthit

and your not snarky....

thats like me saying "I am not handicapped either..:)"

reality is Carnival and the other cruise lines can do more too ensure these rooms are either BOOKED by HC people OR are the LAST ones to be booked..

but PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY plays a role here also...its not YOUR FAULT you asked for the HC room knowing it was HC..its THEIR fault...right??

Just because YOU can.. doesn't mean it is RIGHT.

I *never* used the words "poor me". Frankly, I don't care if I get bumped or not, but I obviously like to play waaaay ahead, I enjoy knowing where I will be. I will enjoy my cruise no matter where I end up on the ship.

I did not "ask for" a HC room, I just booked a desirable cabin that the cruise line made available. I have several pain issues and could probably get approved to keep the cabin, but I know others have a greater need. I have been told that other cruisers have indeed done that.

I'll say it AGAIN, if someone needs the cabin, I will be bumped, PERIOD. I am not preventing anyone from cruising, let it go, people!

I agree with you 100%, but you might as well be preaching to a rock.

Neither one of you "get it", and I am finished trying to be understood and I don't appreciate your attitude. Your self-righteous indignation and vitriol is astounding and somewhat sad.

Try to enjoy your lives without worrying so much what others are doing!

Edited by LibratPDX

Didn't know our cabin was HC til we got on the ship. Arrived at room and no where to use key card to get in. Went to Guest Services and they walked us to the room, gave us a little key for a box that was waist high. Once you turned the key in the box, door opened for us, yes very slowly and took forever to close. No cabinet or shelves in bathroom. Had lots of space, but not good for us. Excellent if in a wheel chair. We use the shelves. If in a wheel chair they can't reach them so none there. I would pick another cabin. Not only you might not like where CCL puts you if you are moved, but also to have a cabin you would be more comfortable with the things you are use to having in a cabin. The bathroom was bigger, but bed area no bigger at all. Wouldn't intentionally book one.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kat

If I booked a HC room and didn't need it I bet the cabin across the hall from me would have a person in a wheelchair struggling to get out the door by themselves! I don't need bad Karma.

I would never intentionally do this and if it happened to me I would ask at the front desk to make sure that everyone that needed a HC cabin got one before I even unpacked.

Didn't know our cabin was HC til we got on the ship. Arrived at room and no where to use key card to get in. Went to Guest Services and they walked us to the room, gave us a little key for a box that was waist high. Once you turned the key in the box, door opened for us, yes very slowly and took forever to close. No cabinet or shelves in bathroom. Had lots of space, but not good for us. Excellent if in a wheel chair. We use the shelves. If in a wheel chair they can't reach them so none there. I would pick another cabin. Not only you might not like where CCL puts you if you are moved, but also to have a cabin you would be more comfortable with the things you are use to having in a cabin. The bathroom was bigger, but bed area no bigger at all. Wouldn't intentionally book one.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kat

This is not my experience with a HC cabin. There were shelves around the mirror and below the sink, a ramp to the shower with more drain, no bunks, and a wider door. The cabin was the same size with no extra space for my walker if there's a cot open, unless the beds are separated and placed against the three walls.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by ccruisequeen

Truth is, no one is required to provide proof they are disabled to book a handicapped room. In fact, we did not even realize we had booked a handicapped room until we got there and noticed the larger bathroom.

We would have gladly given it up if someone needed it. Carnival Is the guilty party here for not enforcing the policy.

I'm not sure how you arrived at your first statement. I booked an available cabin that happens to be HC. I was warned that I could be bumped if someone else NEEDS it. No problem, I will deal with it if and when it happens. It is mildly annoying that I have booked a year ahead and could be bumped by someone who books within a month of the cruise, but it would and will not ruin my cruise if/when it happens.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You don't know me, my morals, or the people in my life.

It's interesting that blame is being placed on someone who booked an available room, instead of on the cruise line, TA, or PVP. It's not my fault if they fail to follow through as they should if a HC room is requested.

Several people in this thread have mentioned that they know of people who have been bumped, or were offered that opportunity. I trust that I will be bumped if someone needs the cabin. It's ultimately Carnival's responsibility to make sure that happens.

Sorry you were so troubled booking seven months out. We usually do that also. Recently we booked one month out.

Why because I broke my ankle could not go on our cruise as planned, Doctor gave permission six weeks after surgey to let us go on another cruise. no hc cabins available, did not fight it. really needed to be on a cruise for my mental health. Was it difficult in a regular cabin yes but thank god we could go. I was almost a new person. The people staff and fellow cruises my my day.

bia;)

• 1 month later...
Sorry you were so troubled booking seven months out. We usually do that also. Recently we booked one month out.

Why because I broke my ankle could not go on our cruise as planned, Doctor gave permission six weeks after surgey to let us go on another cruise. no hc cabins available, did not fight it. really needed to be on a cruise for my mental health. Was it difficult in a regular cabin yes but thank god we could go. I was almost a new person. The people staff and fellow cruises my my day.

bia;)

I wouldn't have had any problem relinquishing my room to you if I was on the cruise you tried to book!! I don't know how carefully "they" (Carnival and/or your TA) check but maybe because it was a month out they really were all gone?

I feel very fortunate to be able to travel as much as I do, but of course I am jealous of those on the boards who have cruised over 20 times! :D

I was booked into a HC cabin by CCL as a guarantee. This was about 6 weeks before sailing so it was after final payment. About 3 weeks later, they called me and moved me. Since there were so few cabins left at that point they moved me to a cabin in the same category in an undesirable area. Since I didn't like the area, I asked if they would upgrade me because of the inconvenience. They said they wouldn't because a cabin was available in that category........

The moral is....... If you book an accessible cabin..... understand that you can be moved at any time and you can not expect an upgrade. I knew when they put me there that I could be moved so I was not thrilled when I was assigned the cabin ......... I don't recommend anybody intentionally book an accessible cabin unless they actually need it.

2 able bodied people booked a cruise. 2 weeks ago DH had major surgery. Now needs some special things when he cruises. Called Special Needs Department to see what was needed to handle the additional things. Guess what they did. Special Needs decided he needs to be placed into a HC cabin. Noted our booking as to why we are now in a HC cabin.

He will be 4 months post op when we sail. Do you think they would bump us? I mean we did not even ask for this cabin. Carnival did the move on their own.

I was looking at Carnival.com today and did a mock booking on the Sunshine. I noticed that one of the options given to me was an oceanview handicapped cabin. I wondered why they'd offer it to just anyone. Since it came with spa amenities and a good location, sure, I'd be tempted to book it. I wonder if I were bumped if I would get a balcony, since a regular oceanview would be a downgrade.

One thing I've heard is that when you shower, the water goes all over the bathroom because there is no lip to hold the water in. Is this true?

For the record, if Carnival will allow me to book a handicapped room, I see no problem in taking advantage of it for the extra space. I would also expect that if anyone needed the room that I would be bumped and I would have no problem giving up my room for them.

• 2 months later...

One thing I've heard is that when you shower, the water goes all over the bathroom because there is no lip to hold the water in. Is this true?

It's true, in the HC cabins designed for wheelchairs there is no lip or threshold to keep the water in the shower area, but their is a stainless drain. So there will be a little spray over on the rest of the bathroom floor, but it's not too bad.

a) I was looking at Carnival.com today and did a mock booking on the Sunshine. I noticed that one of the options given to me was an oceanview handicapped cabin. I wondered why they'd offer it to just anyone. Since it came with spa amenities and a good location, sure, I'd be tempted to book it. I wonder if I were bumped if I would get a balcony, since a regular oceanview would be a downgrade.

b) For the record, if Carnival will allow me to book a handicapped room, I see no problem in taking advantage of it for the extra space. I would also expect that if anyone needed the room that I would be bumped and I would have no problem giving up my room for them.

a) I am wondering the same thing, since I booked a spa corner HC room on the Magic for next year :) b) I agree! :cool:

It's true, in the HC cabins designed for wheelchairs there is no lip or threshold to keep the water in the shower area, but their is a stainless drain. So there will be a little spray over on the rest of the bathroom floor, but it's not too bad.

a) I am wondering the same thing, since I booked a spa corner HC room on the Magic for next year :) b) I agree! :cool:

I travel with my daughter who is a full time whelchair user. This topic has had much discussion on these boards.

I simply cannot understand why an able-bodied person would even consider booking an accessible cabin a year out when there are other options. Especially when traveling solo. The only explanation that come to mind is that they have little knowledge of the issue.

I would suggest that those that think that they would be bumped if the cabin is needed by someone who actually needs it go to the "Disabled" forum of CC.

In my experience, those who knowingly book an hc cabin, do so in the knowledge that bumping never happens.

The cruise lines have gotten better at assigning these cabins but there are still many pvp's that care less and only want the booking.

Most disabled cruisers do reserve over a year out as they know that there are a limited number of cabins available and have little chance of traveling at the last minute, or even a few months out.

An able-bodied person knowingly booking a hc cabin over a year out is simply so wrong on so many levels!

IMHO it is a lousy policy. Other cruise lines refuse to book non-eligible people into a handicap cabin and some of them require a doctor's note to prove you need an accessible cabin. They should keep the handicap cabins out of the general inventory and if you need one you should have to book through special needs and prove need.

I am just kind of sensitive to the subject because my Mom was in a wheelchair the last 3 years of her life and I know what hoops we had to jump through to get a handicap cabin with other lines yet when we called Carnival we were told they had none available. I bought a wheelchair that would fit through the Carnival doorway so I could take her on the Glory. I was livid when I found out that the neighbors in the handicapped cabin did not need it - just wanted it for the larger space and balcony. They said, "Gee, I guess you should be in our cabin with your Mother in a wheelchair." I asked them if they were contacted about getting bumped and said they would have been glad to move, but were never asked.

I have to agree. On the plus side, Carnival is the only cruise line that offered to check for us if the HC cabins are booked by someone who needs them; however I know from experience that whether or not they will varies. Unless you find someone willing to check, you are just told that there are no HC cabins. Therefore, in spite of the warning that you might be moved, booking an HC cabins means that you may be preventing someone who really needs it from being able to sail.

Want to book an inside obstructed walkway cabin. The only two left are HC. I can book them and will be paying more per person per day for that cabin than a regular inside. I checked with my PVP..IF we get bumped it would be to an inside spa ( w/amenities) or higher OV. Not a regular inside as we are paying more from the beginning. The OV's I like are already booked ..

Booking them means no price drops because they are the last two:(

I am not trying to be insensitive, but people need to stop placing blame on others. If you are a HC cruiser and you know that getting a HC room can be difficult, the onus is on you to book early enough to get the room you need. If there is anything beyond that, it should be on Carnival to not include those rooms in the normal population of rooms you can book via online or PVP. I could see how requiring a call to the Special Needs department to book a HC room would easily cut down on the number of non-HC people booking them, even if proof of disability is not required.

I am not trying to be insensitive, but people need to stop placing blame on others. If you are a HC cruiser and you know that getting a HC room can be difficult, the onus is on you to book early enough to get the room you need. If there is anything beyond that, it should be on Carnival to not include those rooms in the normal population of rooms you can book via online or PVP. I could see how requiring a call to the Special Needs department to book a HC room would easily cut down on the number of non-HC people booking them, even if proof of disability is not required.

Thank you for trying, but some people are so rigidly intent on their "right" point-of-view, they will never see the other side of it. You present an excellent idea!

Here on CC a few people have posted that they got bumped from their 4J HC cabin, so it is not unheard of. Of course I am grateful that I do not currently have a need and will gladly give it up if someone else does!

If people cannot see why an able bodied person would book a HC room, nothing I say will ever convince them. My morals are in question because I booked an available room? I keep seeing "I'm not that kind of person" between the lines, and it's really a bit condescending and tiresome.

I empathize with those who have a need and have had a bad experience as mentioned by other CCers, but the responsibility is with Carnival and/or their TA to make sure that doesn't happen. If enough people complain to Carnival, maybe they will change their policy and hold back some of these rooms (at least initially) for those that have a medical need.

Do you avoid the HC stall in public restrooms even if nobody is present with crutches, a walker, or a wheelchair? Most people do not.

Thank you for trying, but some people are so rigidly intent on their "right" point-of-view, they will never see the other side of it. You present an excellent idea!

Here on CC a few people have posted that they got bumped from their 4J HC cabin, so it is not unheard of. Of course I am grateful that I do not currently have a need and will gladly give it up if someone else does!

If people cannot see why an able bodied person would book a HC room, nothing I say will ever convince them. My morals are in question because I booked an available room? I keep seeing "I'm not that kind of person" between the lines, and it's really a bit condescending and tiresome.

I empathize with those who have a need and have had a bad experience as mentioned by other CCers, but the responsibility is with Carnival and/or their TA to make sure that doesn't happen. If enough people complain to Carnival, maybe they will change their policy and hold back some of these rooms (at least initially) for those that have a medical need.

Do you avoid the HC stall in public restrooms even if nobody is present with crutches, a walker, or a wheelchair? Most people do not.

I hope you looking in a mirror while typing this post.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app