Upgrade Question

atdahop

Imo, is it mostly worth it because Princess doesn't give you a sofa in the Balcony cabin? I've heard that other lines do provide one.

Also, is it really worth $350? That's the best price difference I can find for my sail date. $1733 all inclusive per couple vs. $2080 all inclusive per couple.

Thanks!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This, if the Princess website can be relied upon as accurate, should be Dolphin Deck. There are only 2 minis on that deck, 109, 110, right at the front of the ship. We're first time cruisers, so I don't think it would be recommended to be at the FRONT not knowing how we'll handle the seasickness possbility. Right??

I'm glad to hear it's a good price. :)

There is also an offer of the same mini suite for $2098 total all inclusive per couple Category AB, which is Dolphin Deck w/ cabins located mid to front or mid to back. (I think that's better for first timers, don't you?)

Perhaps it's such a good price because these minis are on Dolphin Deck and some cruisers don't like uncovered balconies?

In the generated quote forms they are calling them Jr. Suites versus mini-suites, but I assume that is just their lingo since there's nothing on the CP called a Jr. Suite. I'll check for sure once all the offers are in.

Still, we could use the $350 for other things (spa, excursions, shopping, etc.) and since it's our first time crusing, it was recommended NOT to start out w/ more than a balcony double so we could anticipate more the next time and dream about a better cabin. I think next time we'll take all 7 of our kids and then we'd be getting Inside cabins for obvious reasons - $$.

I've emailed w/ one agent already and she was helpful. I'm really very concerned about documents and cancellation, change policies, though. I don't know how you get that in writing before you book over the phone or email? And w/ all the talk about only using TAs for booking, I'm a bit anxious about that part of it.

Please share your thoughts. I need advice. :rolleyes:

First, I am not a travel agent and would be happy to share my thoughts with you...e-mail me at atdahop2003@yahoo.com

I have not booked yet but am trying to get the best price for an AB...Have sailed many times but I tend to get motion sickness so I would stick to mid ship and lower decks.

regards,

carole

We have been upgraded from a mini to a full suite twice-in 2003 on the Grand, & in 2004 on the Golden. This past feb. we actually stayed in a mini suite on the Diamond & I think it is definately worth the price difference-there is so much more room than a balcony cabin. I would not pay for a suite-but getting a free upgrade it fantastic!

We received a fabulous upgrade in 2003 on Golden Princess. We had

booked a category BB guarantee (reg. balcony cabin, not a mini-suite either)

and 10 days before we were still unassigned and then 9 days before,

we found out that we had been upgraded to a great VS cabin (full suite)

on the back of the ship. It had been only our second sailing with Princess

and we paid $737 per person for the cruise and the value of the

full suite at that time was I think appox. $2,500 to $3,000 per person!

We also sailed the first week of December which is not a peak time either.

Skarletohara,

Where was your trip going and for how long, and how did you find it?

I haven't found any fares on the Golden for a BB, even in Dec. for as low as $737. Sounds marvelous! even without the upgrade. I'm happy for you. I'll keep lookin'.

Not having been on Princess for about 20 years, what is the all-inclusive AB? I haven't ever been given an upgrade, even with sailing many cruises on other lines. We are thinking about Princess for the Panama Canal and Alaska. This year we went to Alaska on NCL and were very happy, but it seems Princess was right "in town" in the ports and we were not as close. We usually sail Celebrity or RCI, but are looking at Princess. We have sailed Carnival and HAL but this time Princess probably will be our choice.

Katie

I am planning a cruise on the Sapphire Princes in Jan. (I met with the TA today) We are wanting a mini -suite but worry about the open balcony. Is there a floor that we could book where we would have more privacy, maybe aft? Is there a way to not specify a room and encourage an upgrade, it is our anniversary. Thanks for the info, this is my first cruise and I am so excited I don't know if I can waite till Jan.....

Archived