Yet ANOTHER Not So Nice Carnival Article...via the NY Times 5/8/2013

The article starts off....

Its name is Triumph, yet this year has been anything but that for the 14-year-old ship owned by Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest cruise company.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/travel/cruise-mishaps-how-normal-are-they.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And goes down hill from there. This editorial is VERY anti-Carnival. Funny part is... this article came out one day before two people went missing from the Spirit.

Well DUH, has 2013 been a TRIUMPHant year for Carnival? The article is not "anti-Carnival", its simply a factual account of the all the troubles that have happened.

All the pro Carnival SPIN here on this forum does nothing to change the facts, facts that the general public now knows all to well.

Well DUH, has 2013 been a TRIUMPHant year for Carnival? The article is not "anti-Carnival", its simply a factual account of the all the troubles that have happened.

All the pro Carnival SPIN here on this forum does nothing to change the facts, facts that the general public now knows all to well.

Yes, I agree. I may have to go to the cruise junkies website and start piecing together all the stats to get an overall picture.

I have way too much time on my hands.....actually, no I don't. I think I'll pas on the investigation. :p

The article starts off....

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/travel/cruise-mishaps-how-normal-are-they.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And goes down hill from there. This editorial is VERY anti-Carnival. Funny part is... this article came out one day before two people went missing from the Spirit.

I read the article, and don't see how it is "very anti-Carnival." They used the Triumph as the starting point, but what I read is all cruise lines have the same issues. What I get from the article, is our Gov't wants to get involved with regulating the cruise industry. As far as I'm concerned, keep our Gov't out of it. We can't even run our own Country, much less the cruise industry.

While I am not a Carnival cheerleader, the article does tend to make the Triumph issues seem worse then they really are. OK, the fire was bad and the conditions were not ideal when the ship had its issue. But to blame Carnival because the ship was blown from the dock during a bad storm while under the control of a shipyard is a bit much. An even bigger stretch was to connect the barge fire that happened in Mobile to the Triumph because it happened to be there.

Then to claim Ross Klein as source, that guy is odd, and his website is odd. He claims he loves to cruise, but seems to hate the industry. The article goes beyond factual and paints a picture that sensationalizes the issues Carnival has had.

While I am not a Carnival cheerleader, the article does tend to make the Triumph issues seem worse then they really are. OK, the fire was bad and the conditions were not ideal when the ship had its issue. But to blame Carnival because the ship was blown from the dock during a bad storm while under the control of a shipyard is a bit much. An even bigger stretch was to connect the barge fire that happened in Mobile to the Triumph because it happened to be there.

Where in the article was blame placed on Carnival for the Triumph being blown from the dock? The article states "Early last month while undergoing repairs, the ship became unmoored in strong winds, crashed into another boat and wound up with a 20-foot-long gash in its side. Could the Triumph be more unlucky?" This is just illustrating the Triumph's string of bad luck.

The threshold for being "anti-carnival" around here is pretty low, something akin to being called a troll. I did not find the article to be at all anti-carnival. Nor do I see a conflict between loving something and being very critical of it (to improve it).

Just because the latest incident is not Carnivals fault and it was not reported as Carnivals fault, does not mean it was not news worthy and should not be reported on. Past incidents are always commented on in news stories. I can see nothing wrong or biased in the news article. Carnival just needs some good luck for a change. Although, my Grandmother many times told me that you make your own luck, good or bad. I don't think she was correct...

BREAKING NEWS!!

tens of thousands of people got off carnival ships last week and had nothing to complain about. There's a danger that this terrible episode for carnival critics might happen again this week!!!

obviously a slow news day for the NYT.

Well after you get past the gratuitous embellishments and referencing CNN the article does go into real facts about how common a lot of these troubles are across all lines.

Sent using my Commodore 64

The last I heard, the New York Times was in trouble financially and recently laid off a bunch of people. They need to talk about the trash in their own backyard.:rolleyes:

They are in the business to sell advertising by writing news stories which get "eyeballs" for their advertising clients. The cruise industry right now IS news.

BTW, if you look at facts, and not what you 'hear' you will see the NT Times Co. produces higher returns on capital and equity for the past five years (avg.) compared to CCL.

As Det. Joe Friday used to say; "All we want are the facts, ma'am".:rolleyes:

We really could use more Joe Friday's and fewer Joey Tribbiani's on the bb.;)

BREAKING NEWS!!

tens of thousands of people got off carnival ships last week and had nothing to complain about. There's a danger that this terrible episode for carnival critics might happen again this week!!!

obviously a slow news day for the NYT.

Good shot, mikenhe

BLAH...BLAH...BLAH!!!! I love cruising, I will continue to cruise! I do not give a flip what these 'never cruised before, but have allll the answers' say! If something happens..oh well..was my choice! Why do all these people feel they have to be involved in things that don't even concern them! Go somewhere else and leave the cruising to me!! Thanks!!! Oh!! I drink very little, I don't smoke! I'm older..and I seldom shop at Wal Mart!!!! hahahaha!!!

BLAH...BLAH...BLAH!!!! I love cruising, I will continue to cruise! I do not give a flip what these 'never cruised before, but have allll the answers' say! If something happens..oh well..was my choice! Why do all these people feel they have to be involved in things that don't even concern them! Go somewhere else and leave the cruising to me!! Thanks!!! Oh!! I drink very little, I don't smoke! I'm older..and I seldom shop at Wal Mart!!!! hahahaha!!!

Who are these 'never cruised before' people you speak of? The New York Times writer? It looks like that piece was written for the Travel section of the newspaper/web site. Should the Travel section not write stories about the cruise industry at all? Should they stick to writing about air travel, rail travel, beach resorts etc. Should they just stick to writing 'puff' pieces i.e. only report on the positives?

As a traveller wouldn't you want to know if the airline industry, or the rail industry, or the hotel industry are having issues like safety, reliability, etc.

Maybe you don't. That's OK. But would you deny the rest of the population their right to this information? Just because you or I might love cruising should the U.S. scrap the First Amendment of your constitution entirely? Or just the Freedom of the Press part?

Mechanical breakdowns are never planned, they just happen. Even the best maintenance program cannot prevent a breakdown. Please do not let a few bumps in the road influence the choices you may make when selecting your next cruise. We recently sailed on the Oasis of the Seas and are planning for next April already- itinerary is important, price is important, but you know what- if you look for us we are the passengers with a drink in our hand and a smile on our face!!:cool::D:)

... I did not find the article to be at all anti-carnival.

Nor do I see a conflict between loving something and being very critical of it (to improve it).

Bingo!

Imo, the article is pretty well balanced.

The writer uses Triumph as an example because it's the ship that everyone heard about.

The article is about mishaps on cruise ships in general and more educational than critical if you ask me.

Stating facts really can't be considered criticism.

Who are these 'never cruised before' people you speak of? The New York Times writer? It looks like that piece was written for the Travel section of the newspaper/web site. Should the Travel section not write stories about the cruise industry at all? Should they stick to writing about air travel, rail travel, beach resorts etc. Should they just stick to writing 'puff' pieces i.e. only report on the positives?

As a traveller wouldn't you want to know if the airline industry, or the rail industry, or the hotel industry are having issues like safety, reliability, etc.

Maybe you don't. That's OK. But would you deny the rest of the population their right to this information? Just because you or I might love cruising should the U.S. scrap the First Amendment of your constitution entirely? Or just the Freedom of the Press part?

The comments sections of these articles are usually filled with people saying they would never cruise. I don't know if comments loaded for you if you don't subscribe to the NYT.

Example: http://gawker.com/two-passengers-missing-after-falling-overboard-on-carni-499308650

Beyond the usual tendency of news media to try to impress you with how big and important their stories are, this article seemed reasonable. There's almost always puffery in media.

Scrutiny like this is important, in any case. More often than not, it makes companies and governments more accountable.

Just because the latest incident is not Carnivals fault and it was not reported as Carnivals fault, does not mean it was not news worthy and should not be reported on. Past incidents are always commented on in news stories. I can see nothing wrong or biased in the news article. Carnival just needs some good luck for a change. Although, my Grandmother many times told me that you make your own luck, good or bad. I don't think she was correct...

I don't recall the national media covering the 4 year old who drown in a DCL pool. Or the 15 year old boy raped by a man on RCI. Those incidents happened in March and April.

I am not necessarily a Carnival supporter, but it does appear the media does pile on them and they don't really report(nationally) incidents on other lines.

The article in the OP is fair and doesn't pile on. Articles relating to the two people who jumped overboard for the most part pile on.

That will never happen...ever

Your right! But not because their cruises were not perfect. There will always be at least a few people who will find something to complain about even in Paradise!

Archived