Has the net been removed from Veendam MDR?

UPNYGuy

I am not looking forward to dining beneath said net. :rolleyes:

Likely it doesn't add anything positive to the ambience.

Unless you're at a table on the rail and look up, you won't even notice it. We noticed it one day at lunch when we had a table for 2 on the rail...and it was day light...but I never noticed it again at dinner.

It was a non-issue as it didn't impact the enjoyment of our cruise.

I was told on the Ryndam, by the HD who was on the Veendam when we were, that they plan to exchange the heavy Murano glass lights with a light weight synthetic version. I would imagine they can't do that until dry dock.

Regarding what mamaofami said about the Retreat Poolettes leaking down into the cabins below and subsequently the ceiling of the Main Dining Room...does anyone know if that problem has been totally resolved? I've just done an upgrade to one of the aft-facing Verandah(Vista) Suites below those Poolettes and wouldn't appreciate getting dripped on or seeing water stains all over the place!!!

I hope someone has current information about this.

Debjo

Regarding what mamaofami said about the Retreat Poolettes leaking down into the cabins below and subsequently the ceiling of the Main Dining Room...does anyone know if that problem has been totally resolved? I've just done an upgrade to one of the aft-facing Verandah(Vista) Suites below those Poolettes and wouldn't appreciate getting dripped on or seeing water stains all over the place!!!

I hope someone has current information about this.

Debjo

Yes, that has been resolved.

They had Refit Part II which removed the poolette and the flooding.

There are now some big hot tubs that block the view which used to be so enjoyable from that stern area.

It was a total blunder what they did by removing the lovely pool area the other "S" ships still have

IMO, I don't think the ceiling is going to be fixed. The sockets that hold the bulbs got wet and rotted out because the retreat poolettes leaked water down to the cabins below it and into the ceiling of the MDR. It would be a very large and expensive undertaking to fix that beautiful ceiling, and if Veendam is really to be sold, why would they do that? It's a shame.

ANyone know what happened to the engineer who designed those poolettes?

Hi Mama,

I spoke to Captain Bos about this and reported some months ago when the topic came up.

One lamp fell... and they do not know the reason the connection failed but as a SAFETY measure the net was put up. For certain the problem was NOt caused by any water leaking down from the poolette. That pool is TWO decks above the dining room. There are two steel decks between the space above the rining room and the poolette that sits on top of the deck... not sunk into the deck like the old pool. The lamp fell very soon after the poolette was installed. Even if flooded with salt water it would take considerable time for the fittings to rust through. On top of that the securing method would be of considerably more robust construction than in a home or hotel. It was built to withstand a ship's lifetime of rockin', rollin' and shakin'!!!!

The problem with repair is that staging would have to be built from the floor of the lower level of the dining room and every fixture inspected.

What they should do is cover the netting with plastic lobsters, seashells and starfish to add more 'atmosphere' to the place... like in teh seafood restaurants. The salt water leaks give an authentic dock aroma!

Stephen

Thank you for that explanation, Stephen. AN officer on Veendam had explained the other story to me, so I simply was repeating it. Glad to hear the water didn't really leak in to those beautiful fixtures.

So are the lovely "lights" meant to be lit up? There were some spotlights on or near some of them.

I can only imagine what they must be like if they were light up.

Sail Maasdam and see what her beautiful ceiling looks like. :) We have sailed Maasdam dozens of times and I always love admiring that lovely ceiling.

Veendam's used to be beautiful, also.

Archived