M6 vs B1 (mini suite large balcony vs aft balcony) thoughts?

sfBRAD

Seems we have discussion about three categories.

I'll give it a shot. lol

The photo link above shows the M6 and B6.

Both have extended balconies. both are on the sides of the ship.

Both have varying degrees of exposure to above.

M6, the largest balcony is 2/3 exposed.

B6 is 1/2 exposed.

B1 are on the stern and balconies vary with deck level.

Have you seen this?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkRUeqCmOMnGdFZWTVVzZndrc0NkN1N0TGpZb2ZYU2c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Edited by bear3412

This maybe useful:

Norwegian Breakaway in Rotterdam

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Best picture I have seen yet, thanks for sharing. As been discussed for several months, you can see in this picture that more than half of the M6 balcony appears to be exposed to the decks above.

Best picture I have seen yet, thanks for sharing. As been discussed for several months, you can see in this picture that more than half of the M6 balcony appears to be exposed to the decks above.

Which means you still get the best of both worlds with the M6: you have the option of some really nice sun/sky exposure, plus you still end up with more covered "private" space above you than any of the other non-aft balconies (since you have a larger B6 above you, rather than the balconettes). :cool:

I thought more than half of the M6 balcony is open to the decks above??

M6, the largest balcony is 2/3 exposed.

B6 is 1/2 exposed.

I still stand by my opinion that more than half the m6 balcony is covered.

According to the cabin detail info on NCL's European site, which seems more consistent, the M6 balcony is 118 sq. ft., and the B6 balcony above it is 70 sq. feet. Right there tells you that 70 sq. ft., or more than half, is covered.

Taking it further, using (gulp :eek:) math, assuming a width of 9 ft. for both M6 and B6 balconies, 118 divided by 9 equals 13 feet deep, and 70 divided by 9 equals 7.7 feet deep. Therefore 7.7 feet, or more than half, of the M6 balcony is covered.

I'm in a M6 in two weeks?I plan on doing a cabin crawl to check out the different rooms.I will let you know what I think.I think the M6's will be the cabins to get if you can't find any open deck space by the pools with 4k people onboard.Time will tell:DYou really can't go wrong with either one,your on vacation!

I agree with joeski27 and seabird1122. We had an MA on Deck 14 and after seeing all the pictures of the balconies, we switched our cabin to deck 8 M6. My DH loves sitting there and watching the ocean. Can't wait for our 6/16/13 sailing!

Hey guys, hope you all have a great cruise on the Breakaway...make sure when you get back, you give us your thoughts on these cabins...I am considering cruising the Getaway in Oct. '14 and I'm looking at the M1'S with the huge balcony, the M6's or the B1 afts..it's a surprise for my wife's big six-oh...my friend is going 6/2 and he has a 10th deck balcony, small at 32 SF....he's not too thrilled about that but his TA told him she LOVED the Breakaway ( 2 n for TA's), and she does NOT normally like NCL, but told my buddy that "Norwegian really hit the spot on this one"...said the Ocean Blue restaurant was the BEST dining venue she's ever eaten in- huge claim!! Any thoughts on my choices would be great....

Big Al

I still stand by my opinion that more than half the m6 balcony is covered.

According to the cabin detail info on NCL's European site, which seems more consistent, the M6 balcony is 118 sq. ft., and the B6 balcony above it is 70 sq. feet. Right there tells you that 70 sq. ft., or more than half, is covered.

Taking it further, using (gulp :eek:) math, assuming a width of 9 ft. for both M6 and B6 balconies, 118 divided by 9 equals 13 feet deep, and 70 divided by 9 equals 7.7 feet deep. Therefore 7.7 feet, or more than half, of the M6 balcony is covered.

I have to disagree. The latest new photo above pretty much indicates that the majority of the balcony space of an M6 are exposed to the decks above. I think it’s pretty visible that the B6 cabins and above are set back therefore the B6 floor only has a VERY small portion that makes the overhang (roof) for the M6 cabins. If I had to guess I would say that right outside the sliding doors of an M6 the covered part is about 3.5 feet, 4 feet at the most.

Don't forget to bring a tape measure. :p

The 2 M1 cabins are HC, if I'm not mistaken.

HC meaning Haven Club? I'm looking for something nice for a surprise for my wife's birthday in Oct. '14 on the Getaway...sounds like the best of both worlds: big cabin, big balcony, and the Haven perqs,right?

Big Al

I have to disagree. The latest new photo above pretty much indicates that the majority of the balcony space of an M6 are exposed to the decks above. I think it’s pretty visible that the B6 cabins and above are set back therefore the B6 floor only has a VERY small portion that makes the overhang (roof) for the M6 cabins. If I had to guess I would say that right outside the sliding doors of an M6 the covered part is about 3.5 feet, 4 feet at the most.

I agree with you. It looks like maybe 1/4 is covered. You can really see it from the "Flicker" picture that was posted.

I agree with you. It looks like maybe 1/4 is covered. You can really see it from the "Flicker" picture that was posted.

But I think that would still mean that the covered part is about equal to the whole of a regular balcony. So the uncovered part is just a bonus. At least that is how I'm thinking of it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Aft B1's - decks 9, 10, 11 and 14 appear to have solid metal divider that can not be opened. It looks like there are at least two solid metal fire partitions on these decks. Not all have them. We are on 10 in 10312 and the B1 beside us has a solid partition on the

M1 side.

• 1 month later...

Hello All

I am booked on the Getaway for the April 19 sailing. This will be our first Family cruise. Twenty in all. I'm glad I booked early since I've already changed my cabin two times. The first cabin I booked was deck 13 mid ship balcony. After reading the post, and seeing the overhead pics of the M6 balconys I decided to upgrade. The balcony seems huge at 118 sq feet. ( 9' by 13' ). I was excited about having this cabin until I started to read about the B1 aft cabins. My Wife and I have been on a couple of past cruises, and both times were mid ship. After reading the comments from people who have stayed in the aft section of the ship,We decided to change our cabin one more time. The price was the same as the M6, and from what I've read the balcony is even larger at 144 sq feet. The cabin that I got is 12908, and my Sister booked 12906.

Like I've mentioned the M6 balcony looks huge from the over head shot.

Even though the Aft balcony on deck 12 is said to be larger, they just don't seem as large from the pictures that I've seen. Has anyone stayed in these cabins on the Breakaway, and if you did could you take a guess on what the dimentions may be, 10 by 14, 12 by 12 etc..

Thanks Joe

Check out this amazing review by Gambee. He stayed in cabin 12906 on Breakaway. Look at post 267. You get to see photos of the balcony and cabin.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851007

Also worth looking at this spreadsheet -

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843049

Click on the link in post 1 then look for your cabin category and click on the blue X under visual aids. The photos are a collection from everyone on cc.

• 2 months later...
The area all the way in front of the ship - with the hammocks - is that open to the public?

Yes, that was accessible. I was there early in the morning sailing into NY. It was dark and while I remember seeing the cabana looking seats I do not remember any hammocks....

• 3 months later...

So I'm starting to have buyers remorse on my Breakaway M6 now and thinking about switching to a B1.

Advantages seem to be:

- More private balcony (not exoposed to above like the M6)

- Cooler view (subjective, obviously)

Disadvantages:

- lose the nice MS bathroom

- possible noise from engines and Spice H2O.

Any recent passengers in either of these cabin classes have any thoughts? I'm specifically looking at the deck 9 B1's

Edited by Winston Wolf

So I'm starting to have buyers remorse on my Breakaway M6 now and thinking about switching to a B1.

Advantages seem to be:

Disadvantages:

Any recent passengers in either of these cabin classes have any thoughts? I'm specifically looking at the deck 9 B1's

stayed in m6 in oct. excellent room. the balcony offered enough privacy if so desired but the exposed part was no problem at all. nice people above us. fun to converse with them while on the balcony. I liked the location of the room. walk right down the steps to o sheehans. elevators right at end of hall. cigar lounge steps away. staying on deck 8 was great.

Advantages seem to be:

Disadvantages:

We recently were in a B1 - there is definitely noise from Spice H20. So loud that I wanted to call guest services but did not. Depends if you can sleep through it or not. Good luck with whatever you decide.