Newbie needs help! What clothes to bring and more questions.

Hello everyone! I need your help!!!!

We just booked the Queen Mary 2 in the beginning of June, from NYC to Hamburg.

There are 3 formal nights and the other 6 nights are informal.

Since I am only 161 cm (and slim) I think a long dress is not for me.

I bought a navy blue short cocktail dress and a pair of navy blue/black closed toe high heels.

Now my question is, should I wear hose? I have well shaped legs and I look fine without hose. My husband is going to wear a tuxedo, he said women attending formal events wear hose. But I think it looks kind of old fashion.... What do you think?

If you think I should wear hose, which color?

Can I wear the same dress on these 3 formal nights or should I get one more dress?

How is the temperature in the dining room/ ball room?

Do people bring sweaters to the dining room?

During the day time, can I wear shorts and flip flog? (it seems that the dress code on QM2 is quite serious, I don't want to offend any elder ladies and gentlemen.....)

I don't know if wearing hose (or nylons as we call them) is a generational thing or not, but I'm 47 and I haven't worn a pair in probably 10 years or even 15. I hate them! I always feel so artificial.

I don't know about formal nights, but I usually look to the awards shows like the Oscars to see if women are wearing hose when dressed up. From what I've seen, generally if your legs look good, you don't wear them.

JMO of course.

Just out of interest, wouldn't formal night dress code on the QM2 be an evening gown for ladies though? Cocktail for semi formal evening? It's been a few years since I have been on the "proper" liners and I know there was something recently about relaxing dress codes so just curious more than anything else?

I would take 3 different dresses as what if something happens on the first night and you can't wear the same dress?

As for tights/stockings, I think it depends on the dress, sometimes it looks more polished with them, depending on shoes or sandals of course.

Lots of ladies carry Pashminas or shrugs, I haven't seen sweaters as such.

I think you should check the formal ware guide for the ship, that cruise line tends to run a bit more formal than some of the other cruise lines. A long dress that has a bit of an a-line or flare shape on the bottom might work for you if you need a long dress for the evenings. If you get a black or silver or even navy,, neutral color , you can then change out small accessories to make it look different on different night, and still not have to pack so much. Hope you find what you need.

Cori

I bought a navy blue short cocktail dress and a pair of navy blue/black closed toe high heels.

Now my question is, should I wear hose? I have well shaped legs and I look fine without hose. My husband is going to wear a tuxedo, he said women attending formal events wear hose. But I think it looks kind of old fashion.... What do you think?

Can I wear the same dress on these 3 formal nights or should I get one more dress?

During the day time, can I wear shorts and flip flog? (it seems that the dress code on QM2 is quite serious, I don't want to offend any elder ladies and gentlemen.....)

I can tell you are just a little excited about this crossing.:D

I'm with Sweetpea about the stockings. I don't think I've owned any in years. Ugh!

As to the (new) dress code on Cunard (and if you have a few extra days you can go back and read all of the posts on the subject:eek:), a cocktail dress is perfectly fine now for formal nights. There are no more semi-formal nights so cocktail dresses and long gowns have been lumped together into formal. I would take more than one. How about a LBD with pretty jewelry and/or stole or jacket to give it a little glam?

just about 32 years and a few years back my husband told me to go "bare". He works in NYC and it's been the way women dress for a while..

I am not packing one single pair for my 12 night Med cruise this summer...

and in the winter/early spring aka brrrrr....had to go to a wedding reception...so I used self-tanner for the first time and was quite happy...

because my bare legs were too darn whitish looking....

I tend to bring a wrap of some sort at dinner, cause I tend to wear sleeveless dresses.....but I have found the darn theatre afterwards was an icebox....and it keeps me from schlepping back to our room to get something...also we love to go on the decks and ya never know how breezy it is...so it is nice to stay outside longer when you aren't chilled...

If you have the same tablemates for those formal nights, you might want to bring more dresses...if you are not at assigned seating you could wear a jacket over one night, blinged with jewelry another night, and a fabulous scarf over the dress the third to change it all up...

The daytime attire on QM I have no clue about though....

Bernadette

Queen Mary II is dressy on formal nights. Most women wore gowns. I am tiny also and have no problem finding a long evening dress. I just purchase "petite" size. I think you will feel out of place in a cocktail dress on formal nights. The cocktail dress is perfect for the other evenings. As far as wearing the same dress 3 out 9 nights....just not something I would personally do on this ship. No stockings? No problem. I very rarely see women wearing them anymore....just seems to be the elderly that still wear them.

This is the Queen Mary dress code....Have a great time.

• Formal: The works! This means dinner jacket & black tie (= 'tuxedo' if you're American) or at least dark business suit for men, evening dress for ladies. At least three nights of a 7-night crossing are designated 'formal'.
  • Semi-formal: Jacket & tie required for men. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. No jeans or shorts.
  • Elegant casual: Jacket required for men, but tie optional. Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies. No jeans or shorts. The first & last nights of a transatlantic crossing are usually designated 'elegant casual'.

• Formal: The works! This means dinner jacket & black tie (= 'tuxedo' if you're American) or at least dark business suit for men, evening dress for ladies. At least three nights of a 7-night crossing are designated 'formal'.
  • Semi-formal: Jacket & tie required for men. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. No jeans or shorts.
  • Elegant casual: Jacket required for men, but tie optional. Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies. No jeans or shorts. The first & last nights of a transatlantic crossing are usually designated 'elegant casual'.

That is the old dress code. The new one was announced in March and has gone into effect in the last month on all ships. This is from Cunard's FAQ: (the underlining and bolding are mine)

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth). Evenings will be split into 3 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket required and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

You may enjoy reading some of the other FAQ which are very hard to find. Cunard's new website FAQ are sadly lacking. https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/

I just had this discussion this past weekend. For ME...I tend to think you look more polished with hose on. I have even been told that I am dating myself because I still wear them. It just completes the look. If you buy your correct size, they should not be a problem...IMHO

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your answers. I think I am going to get at least one more dress in case it got dirty on the first night. And definitely no hose. :D

We will be (hopefully) sitting tougher with our 2 friends at a table for 4. My friend doesn't wear dresses, she is going to wear suits.

Oh! I am getting very excited, the idea of buying shoes and dresses and purses just made me so happy!

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your answers. I think I am going to get at least one more dress in case it got dirty on the first night. And definitely no hose. :D

Smart choices!

Oh! I am getting very excited, the idea of buying shoes and dresses and purses just made me so happy!

Isn't that the truth! I only have two more pairs of shoes and one pair of slacks that I HAVE to buy for my next cruise but who knows what will pop up and say, "Buy me!".

I read last year that hose/nylons may make a comeback due to the Duchess of Cambridge wearing them. They called it the buttered leg look.

That being said, I did not wear hose on the QM2 cruise on formal night, but it was the Caribbean and I had on satin sandals.

Think about a second dress in case there's a spill. Maybe one you can bling up for formal night and then wear with flats for another night.

I always make sure that I have an extra dress in case something should happen such as a broken zipper! An extra dress or outfit does not take up that much space, and I just feel better knowing that I have something to fall back on in case of a mishap.

again I guess I'm old and out of touch but maybe the decline of formal wear on formal night over the last few years is a reflection of women getting sloppier in their attitude to dressing in general. women wearing sandals/flats without hose in an office/professional environment.

I have really light skin tones and when I wear a dress in the Spring/Winter it's usually too cold. I have found DKNY has a sandal style of hose which allows your toes and pedicure to show through your sandals. The hose are very light and people really never can tell I have them on.

Archived