Did Carnival Change their Mattresses ?

IMSAILING

I realize that I am way behind in this thread but I'd beg to differ with your last statement. As many of you already know, I cruise with my daughter who has autism. NCL does the exact same thing for her that Carnival was able to supply too. It's just done quietly - and that is personally how I prefer it.

So true! My cousins who have serious hereditary mobility issues are traveling with Norwegian and Norwegian has been absolutely WONDERFUL with them and my aunt and uncle. All through NORMAL channels and procedures, without having to resort to using Facebook, a cruise director, any special treatment, what else have you. To me, that makes a well run company.

John Heald just posted on FB about this thread saying he asked the VP of Housekeeping and Operations and they are using the same mattresses as always!

Yeah, just like he told people a few weeks ago to hold off booking their European cruise on Carnival for just a few more week, until they are open. Turns out he was last to know they weren't going to Europe, I'm sure they weren't honest with him about the mattresses either.

John Heald just posted on FB about this thread saying he asked the VP of Housekeeping and Operations and they are using the same mattresses as always!

I've come to the conclusion that if you book a room and are a Cruise Critic member, they assign you to a room with a rock hard mattress.

If you book a room and are a Facebook member, you get a room with a comfort mattress.

There's no other possibility for the different answers on the different boards.

I've come to the conclusion that if you book a room and are a Cruise Critic member, they assign you to a room with a rock hard mattress.

If you book a room and are a Facebook member, you get a room with a comfort mattress.

Thats funny but true Pete.......i don't trust people but tend to believe them until proven otherwise.

I've heard complaints from both. By and large the majority of those saying that the mattresses are fine seem to come from CC. Knowing the reputation of some here, I tend to believe the others.

That would be so cool if true.

"What goes around comes around"

The number of complaints logged onboard re: the mattresses doesn't have any bearing on the fact that the mattresses are a lot harder than they used to be.

We didn't complain onboard on any of our cruises, and we didn't complain on CC or anywhere else about it. I only joined into this discussion when I saw the thread. If it had never come up, I would never have mentioned it. I just accepted it as yet another Carnival cutback. It is what it is. The Carnival bed is obviously less comfortable than it used to be. There is no missing that fact, once having experienced it.

Just like when they started charging for the once-free cappuccino in the MDR, we didn't complain. What's the point of complaining onboard? What are they going to do about it? Give us the cappuccino for free like they used to? No. It's a cutback, just like the now-hard bed, and the iceberg and cabbage now being served as "mixed field greens salad", and no more FCC, and so on and so on. Complaining onboard isn't going to change these new CCL policies, so why would we do so?

Just because the guest services desk doesn't have a long list of complaints about something doesn't make it untrue. I feel like JH is calling those of us who know the beds have been changed for the worse liars as well as all the other things he apparently calls CCers (I take others' word for that, since I am not now nor will I ever be on FB). Not a good way to treat your customers, CCL.:mad: But then, I am not surprised.

I just got of the Splendor on May 17th. and the mattress was the worst. I too always felt the mattresses were great on carnival, but this time not so. I had my cabin steward put padding on, but it didn't help much. I couldn't wait to get out of bed in the morning, my body was in such pain, if I got more than 5 hours of sleep I was doing good.

I also read John's comment on fb today. Someone is not telling the truth or it's time to get new mattresses. All in all I had a very nice cruise.

Oh, and another thing.

Regarding these above-quoted words from Mr. Heald:

"...Now, there may be some mattresses that need changing..."

The mattresses are now hard, not worn-out. Changing one of these mattresses out for a new (cheap), hard mattress isn't going to help matters. They didn't go from being pillow-topped and luxuriously comfortable to being flat, hard, and pain-inducing by wearing out. They aren't the same mattresses (or, possibly, mattress toppers). They have been replaced. And we are being misled and/or lied to by Carnival about it.

Honestly they don't feel the same to me either but its not going to change and like i said before im so tired that i sleep well anyway. I was just out of my house for 6 months and sleeping on the basement floor in my MIL's house due to Hurricane Sandy so the Carnival beds will feel ok to me ;)

Oh, and another thing.

Regarding these above-quoted words from Mr. Heald:

"...Now, there may be some mattresses that need changing..."

The mattresses are now hard, not worn-out. Changing one of these mattresses out for a new (cheap), hard mattress isn't going to help matters. They didn't go from being pillow-topped and luxuriously comfortable to being flat, hard, and pain-inducing by wearing out. They aren't the same mattresses (or, possibly, mattress toppers). They have been replaced. And we are being misled and/or lied to by Carnival about it.

But you can't really prove it.

Seems like it's his word against yours.

He said, she said.

But you can't really prove it.

Seems like it's his word against yours.

He said, she said.

Who is this "He" of which you speak? (LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist.:p)

Seriously, though, why should I need to prove it? I know what I know. There is no mistaking the change in quality and hardness of the bed. I don't need to prove it to anyone. I'm not trying to sell a product, as Mr. Heald is.

I'm not even trying to talk people out of buying said product. In fact, I currently have my parents booked on Pride. And they will surely be experiencing the hard mattresses, too.

I just know the bed is not what it used to be. Along with all the other things that have been cutback -err- I mean changed:rolleyes: by CCL, a hard mattress is just what a Carnival cruise includes now.

Who is this "He" of which you speak? (LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist.:p)

Seriously, though, why should I need to prove it? I know what I know. There is no mistaking the change in quality and hardness of the bed. I don't need to prove it to anyone. I'm not trying to sell a product, as Mr. Heald is.

I'm not even trying to talk people out of buying said product. In fact, I currently have my parents booked on Pride. And they will surely be experiencing the hard mattresses, too.

I just know the bed is not what it used to be. Along with all the other things that have been cutback -err- I mean changed:rolleyes: by CCL, a hard mattress is just what a Carnival cruise includes now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

In some cases a cutback is a cutback.

In other cases one persons cutback is another persons improvement.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

In some cases a cutback is a cutback.

In other cases one persons cutback is another persons improvement.

You are correct, of course. Some people, I have heard, like to sleep on the floor or on boards because firm beds just aren't firm enough for their tastes. Those people would certainly see this change in the Carnival mattresses to be an improvement.:cool:

you are correct, of course. Some people, i have heard, like to sleep on the floor or on boards because firm beds just aren't firm enough for their tastes. Those people would certainly see this change in the carnival mattresses to be an improvement.:cool:

This next...for those that REALLY hate a soft bed?? :D :D :D :D :D

71680908_thenewcomfortbed.jpg.cb891037d460d75f981d857b478307cc.jpg

Generally, I enjoy reading the posts here on CC but this one seems a little ridiculous to me. You do realize you're arguing about mattresses, right?

LOL...you obviously joined recently??? There is agruing about all kinds of nonsense on here every day. :p:):D

(at least this is a new topic)

LOL...you obviously joined recently??? There is agruing about all kinds of nonsense on here every day. :p:):D

(at least this is a new topic)

Lol I joined in February but have been reading for a while. I've seen some nonsense posts for sure, but this one definitely takes the cake! :)

Generally, I enjoy reading the posts here on CC but this one seems a little ridiculous to me. You do realize you're arguing about mattresses, right?

I am probably one of the rare people that cruises to sleep and get away. I don't care about the port, the ship, the shows, the chair hogs, the fake eggs on the buffet. I have three kids and I count down the time until I can have uninterrupted sleep and no phone calls, no computer beckoning me. I've done 11 Carnival cruises and have always loved their comfy beds to crawl into and sleep away. I sleep, eat breakfast, morning nap, lunch, afternoon nap, dinner, enjoy the evening and then sleep again. I LOVE it.

To say the mattresses haven't changed is just a wrong statement. Our last cruise I was miserable. When we walked into the room, I did what I always do and flopped on the bed and hit it like a lovebug on a windshield. Splat. Hard as a rock. I was SO upset and disappointed. The whole cruise my back hurt, got a kink in my neck. The steward gave me more pillows but it sure wasn't the relaxing vacation I had hoped for.

No, I didn't complain. I had always chalked it up to being that one room on that one particular ship, but there are too many people here complaining of the same thing on different ships. We have one more cruise booked in September and I'll see how it goes. If it's a rock again, I'll move on to a new cruise line. I have always loved Carnival and have been a cheerleader at times, but this is the one topic that will push me to another line in hopes of finding a comfy bed.

So while for you it's "just a mattress," to me it's a good night's sleep.

Not ridiculous to me, I spend 8 hours a day on the mattress and I would like it to be comfortable, I do realize we are discussing mattresses. When I come across a topic of posts that I feel is ridiculous, I don't view any more...Bye...

Archived