Did Carnival Change their Mattresses ?

IMSAILING

Why should he leave the Carnival forum on Cruise Critic? Even if he chooses to no longer cruise with Carnival, he is still a paying customer with many Carnival experiences he can use to help other people. As far as I am aware, this is a public message board and anyone who likes, or does not like Carnival would be allowed to post, even with no intention to sail with Carnival. His insight on this thread has been most helpful to a lot of people.

Please tell me how you can know what it's like on a Carnival cruise ship in 2013 if you have not cruised with Carnival for years?

I have a cruise line that I cruised with and really did not like. While I would never cruise with them again I have no idea why I would post about them on Cruise Critic for years to come.

Seems like for a few it's more about CC then real cruising.

Don't believe everything you read on the CC boards.

I usually don't and that includes overtly positive reviews and praises as well.

All I do know is my back was in much pain on my last Carnival cruise. I am hoping it was just a fluke.

I highly doubt its a conspiracy here with everyone saying the beds are not great so this the amount of criticism, there might be something to it.

I will wait an see and will probably be fine. You are right and shouldn't get worried over it.

Please tell me how you can know what it's like on a Carnival cruise ship in 2013 if you have not cruised with Carnival for years?

I have a cruise line that I cruised with and really did not like. While I would never cruise with them again I have no idea why I would post about them on Cruise Critic for years to come.

There's an awful lot of posters on this thread complaining about hard mattresses. I started hearing reports of hard mattresses starting about a year ago. Are we supposed to just ignore their experiences because it's not what we want to hear?

I would tend to believe John Heald's FB page more then most of what I read here.;)

At least I know he has cruised Carnival in the last 5 years.

That's more then what I can say about some of the posters here.:(

Sure, he's cruised Carnival in the last 5 years (as the vast majority of us here have) but he is works for Carnival. He's a Carnival employee, man! He'll say whatever makes Carnival look good. That's what Carnival pays him to do. Wake up and smell the crappy, CCL cut-back coffee.:rolleyes:

I usually don't and that includes overtly positive reviews and praises as well.

All I do know is my back was in much pain on my last Carnival cruise. I am hoping it was just a fluke.

I highly doubt its a conspiracy here with everyone saying the beds are not great so this the amount of criticism, there might be something to it.

I will wait an see and will probably be fine. You are right and shouldn't get worried over it.

Lots of CC folks see a conspiracy in just about anything.

It's what keeps the board going. And the post counts up.:D

And usually has little if anything to do with what it's really like on a cruise ship, no matter what the line.

Sure, he's cruised Carnival in the last 5 years (as the vast majority of us here have) but he is works for Carnival. He's a Carnival employee, man! He'll say whatever makes Carnival look good. That's what Carnival pays him to do. Wake up and smell the crappy, CCL cut-back coffee.:rolleyes:

I do not agree with the "vast majority".

Plus many poster on CC have a personal agenda too, just ask them.

sure, he's cruised carnival in the last 5 years (as the vast majority of us here have) but he is works for carnival. He's a carnival employee, man! He'll say whatever makes carnival look good. That's what carnival pays him to do. Wake up and smell the crappy, ccl cut-back coffee.:rolleyes:

BRILLIANT Beef :)

I would tend to believe John Heald's FB page more then most of what I read here.;)

John Heald is a Carnival employee and likes his job I assume, so I take what he says with dubious consideration. Sure he has cruised on a lot of Carnival ships but I seriously doubt he has slept in the same beds many of these posters are complaining about. Just way too many posters complaining about the same thing. On my last cruise on the Freedom (4/20/2013) the bed was not as comfortable as my prior Carnival cruises, but not bad enough to complain about...

I had one of the rock hard mattresses on the Magic Trans-Atlantic. We were on the Legend in March this year and I took a photo from our cabin of mattresses on the dock waiting to be loaded. They were the same rock hard ones on the Magic. I posted the photo to JH page and was told they were for the crew quarters! What a big fat lie. BTW we still had the old saggy one and I slept very well.

John Heald is a Carnival employee and likes his job I assume, so I take what he says with dubious consideration. Sure he has cruised on a lot of Carnival ships but I seriously doubt he has slept in the same beds many of these posters are complaining about. Just way too many posters complaining about the same thing. On my last cruise on the Freedom (4/20/2013) the bed was not as comfortable as my prior Carnival cruises, but not bad enough to complain about...

Did I miss somthing?

Aren't you complaining now?:D

I do not agree with the "vast majority"..

OK, disagree. That's fine, of course. Disagreeing is a big part of what these boards are about, afterall. I'm just basing that statement ("vast majority") on the countdown clocks and signatures of fellow posters. I assume people aren't lying in those. But then, that could just be my naiveté. I haven't conducted any scientific data-gathering on this subject. And AFAIK, no one else here has either. So we'll just disagree.:)

Plus many poster on CC have a personal agenda too, just ask them.

Thanks. I may be naive, but I'm not so naive as to be unaware of this fact. In fact, I'm well-aware that some here might even be accused of having such a strong bias for a particular company as to be (properly or not) labled "Carnival Cheerleaders".;):cool:

Per your post, I have cruised with Carnival within the last 5 years.

That is your choice not to post there. You are more than welcome to. You're right, I have not cruised with Carnival this year. I'm thankful that I have not. I have cruised with them just a little over a year ago. This was before the cutbacks and before the new brilliant loyalty program. If I had enough problems on that cruise to drive me away from Carnival after cruising MONTHLY with them, why would I want to cruise with them again?

Not suprised.:D

So for eveyone of you who will not cruise Carnival again 2 might take your place.

No chance of that happening. If it were, you see see CCL cabin prices spike in response to the extra demand.

Seen the prices for CCL this summer lately? Checked out a travel site? If you had, you'd notice that prices are the lowest they have ever been.

Oh yeah, our cabin was way too warm as well... thermostat was turned down to the lowest setting for the entire cruise. I never used the sheets/bedding the whole time - it was just too warm. Someone in a nearby cabin complained and maintenance knocked on our door one day to check out the air conditioning. Said nothing was wrong with it.

John Heald's response about the mattresses is just plain wrong (or they have been installing these horribly hard mattresses for years, and have finally replaced enough worn out/damaged comfort mattresses that more passengers are noticing the awful replacements). 7 prior Carnival cruises, and I have never slept on what amounts to plywood (yes, a bit softer than plywood, but my god - I have never layed down on a crappier mattress in any hotel or bed & breakfast). As I said before, my mattress at home is FIRM. The lousy, cheap, hard as can be mattresses on Carnival make my FIRM mattress seem like a waterbed! I used to look forward to the "better than at home" sleep I always got on Carnival. That ended this cruise. We were on deck 10 in a balcony cabin - not exactly the cheap seats.

This was the first cruise ever where I was tired (really tired) all week. Sat on my balcony in the afternoon several times and could NOT keep my eyes open. Would nod off for half an hour. This is not normal for me - even on a busy cruise. Since being home - I am back to being fully awake during the day.

Nothing has ever driven us to explore other cruise lines. This one issue has. I refuse to be exhausted on another vacation purely from lack of sleep. Absolutely ridiculous.

We were on deck 10, balcony room as well. It was most likely me that complained. TWICE! Both times was told the temp was within standards. Our room was 75 once and 75.3 another, and both times it was in the morning when it was checked. I bet if checked @ 6:00 PM it would have been at least 80. It was bad enough to make us check other cruise lines for next year. I realize Carnival is cheaper, but that's why my spouse and I both work to be able to afford the little extras, like being cool on. Vacation.

With the amount of negative responses, it would be hard to chalk up the ply-mattress as just an unjustified opinion. Here's to hoping that the mattress for my upcoming cruise isn't hard as a rock.

That said, there are a few posters here that have a hidden agenda. There are certainly a few posters here that post for no other reason, but to stir the pot, in some demented way. I assume that there must be something missing from their lives where they try to fill that void by posting on a board dedicated to a specific subject that has zero bearing on their lives. They regurgitate the same phrases when bashing of X, spewing the negativity and just adding nothing of substance. I only have sympathy for these posters and hope they find the happiness that they lack.

We were on deck 10, balcony room as well. It was most likely me that complained. TWICE! Both times was told the temp was within standards. Our room was 75 once and 75.3 another, and both times it was in the morning when it was checked. I bet if checked @ 6:00 PM it would have been at least 80. It was bad enough to make us check other cruise lines for next year. I realize Carnival is cheaper, but that's why my spouse and I both work to be able to afford the little extras, like being cool on. Vacation.
Suggest you drag your mattress, sheets and pillows onto outside Deck 3 or up on to Lido 9,

and make a public spectacle of the situation, in a cooler location!

Crisis situations (Triumph/Splendor fires, etc) demand crisis solutions!

- and switch cruise lines, next holiday! :)

There's an awful lot of posters on this thread complaining about hard mattresses. I started hearing reports of hard mattresses starting about a year ago. Are we supposed to just ignore their experiences because it's not what we want to hear?

I will be on the Breeze next week and will find out. I refuse to do reviews on CC Carnival forum but if this thread is still open I will come back to it and at least give my fair and honest opinion on the bed.

I sincerely (for my backs sake) hope to have a good report.

I say John is wrong too. I don't think it is because he has an agenda, I think he just doesn't know.

My last few cruises after comfort beds were in place was like climbing into a big fluffy cloud. My last cruise was sort of like laying on a rock. OK, maybe not that hard, but maybe more like sleeping on the beach. Either way, a definate difference.

Yes, You missed it! No, not complaining. You also missed the 'e' in somthing, wouldn't mention it but you asked...

And, of course, you missed the :D.

BTW spelling correction does not follow Cruise Critic posting guidelines.

But I will let it slide this time.

Suggest you drag your mattress, sheets and pillows onto outside Deck 3 or up on to Lido 9,

and make a public spectacle of the situation, in a cooler location!

Crisis situations (Triumph/Splendor fires, etc) demand crisis solutions!

- and switch cruise lines, next holiday! :)

A real class act.:(

Hope they kick you off the ship.

Archived