Did Carnival Change their Mattresses ?

IMSAILING

Lol I joined in February but have been reading for a while. I've seen some nonsense posts for sure, but this one definitely takes the cake! :)

An uncomfortable mattress is not really nonsense to be honest. personally, I find all cruise mattresses to be sucky but that's because I have a good one at home. I do recall ONE TIME being on a CCL mattress that was like heaven (and actually prompted us to buy a new mattress at home. When a cruise ship has a better mattress than you do, you know it's time to buy a new one :)) That was when they first promoted their 'comfort beds'

However...my last few CCL cruises did NOT have a mattress like that.

It really didn't bother me all that much but I imagine if could be diffcult for a lot of people...so not nonsense at all...especially if one is sailing on a long itinerary.

from john h facebook page

I was asked where the mattresses we use are made? They are manufactured in Holland and the Carnival Comfort Beds I see from the comments below are appreciated by many and give you a great nights sleep.

Obviously the origin of the mattresses does not make any difference in comfort.

So, dear Carnival, a lot of your passengers do not enjoy excessive hardness when it comes to the mattresses that were in their staterooms.

It seems like a reasonable comment and it should be of interest to the powers that be.

I do know that one of the reasons DH and I cruise is so that we can get some rest.

He works a lot of hours in a job that is mentally and physically tiring.

On our last cruise he got off the ship exhausted and actually more tired than when we got on which was not a good thing.

We don't participate in shipboard activities generally and even stayed on board in Cozumel this time and just hung out and relaxed.

A decent mattress would have helped.

I don't post much on here, mostly just read but I just had to chime in on the mattress issue.

I have scoliosis as well as ankylosing spondylitis, so while mattresses may not matter much to some, to me they are a really big deal.

I cruised on the Triumph in April, 2011 and slept like a baby.

I cruised on the Conquest in Dec. of 2012, shortly after it came out of dry dock and woke up everyday in such pain even after having the cabin steward pad the bed with comforters.

The day we docked in Cozumel I was in so much pain upon waking at 7am, it took me until noon just to be able to move to get off the ship.

Everyday I would wake with my lower back totally locked up.

I am now thinking about planning a cruise on the Sunshine and the one thing holding me back is the concern about the bedding.

And for me, cruising is all about relaxing, visiting the ports and balcony sitting.

All of which is very hard to do when the mattress I slept on killed my back.

Was on the Dream after 2.0 upgrades and the bedding was wonderful. I have to judge bedding by what I sleep on at home and have never thought about changing but Carnival has made me consider it if I could find that bedding.

Was on the Dream after 2.0 upgrades and the bedding was wonderful. I have to judge bedding by what I sleep on at home and have never thought about changing but Carnival has made me consider it if I could find that bedding.

They're made in Holland, the land that brought us the wooden shoe. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm....................

They're made in Holland, the land that brought us the wooden shoe. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm....................

Holland also brought us tulips, windmills, etc. What's your point? Oh, I get it.. you think that the shoes are comfortable! Nice!

Holland also brought us tulips, windmills, etc. What's your point? Oh, I get it.. you think that the shoes are comfortable! Nice!

I used to wear wooden Geta all the time, growing up. They're not bad.

Even on the John Heald facebook page, cheerleader central, many posts agree that the mattresses are not comfortable. I was surprised to see how many. It may only be 1 in 5 but considering the site and all the cheerleaders who post, it's a lot of people confirming the mattresses are no longer comfortable.

Even on the John Heald facebook page, cheerleader central, many posts agree that the mattresses are not comfortable. I was surprised to see how many. It may only be 1 in 5 but considering the site and all the cheerleaders who post, it's a lot of people confirming the mattresses are no longer comfortable.

Well...we aren't making this up! I seriously notice a difference.

Well...we aren't making this up! I seriously notice a difference.

To those of us who have experienced it, the difference in the mattresses is like night and day. Of course we aren't making it up. You know it, I know it. Many, many others know it too. But I'm learning it's futile to try to defend ourselves against those that call us liars for telling the truth.:(

Besides the mattress being less comfortable, I also noted the sheets very rough. After first night of lying on a blanket I bought for flying, I asked cabin steward to change sheets as they were very rough like sandpaper. Her reply --oh they are new, I can change them in a day. OK new meaning never washed? Well we had a glass spill from the shelf above onto bed and whole set of bedding had to be changed (really it was an accident.)

So perhaps the thread count of sheets has gone down,quality or way they are washed. The next set was improved, but not as it used to be years ago.

Our last two cruise the mattresses were horrible and even the comforter that our steward put under the sheets didn't help.

So now I refer to the beds on carnival as the prison bunks.

I'm a nurse and from years of lifting I have a very tempermental back and I am used to a double pillowtop at home.

I loved the beds on Carnival when we first started cruising and we came back to Carnival from Celebrity because of the wonderful beds, it was just more comfortable. Now I have two FCCs to use and we will move on to a different line, the hard mattress is a deal breaker for me.

If I want fun, party and a hard lumpy surface to sleep on we can freaking camp ( I sooooooooooo don't camp, lol)

Anyway our last cruise I bought two eggcrates in the space bags that shrink down to nothing with a vacuum. It worked very well but still not the level of comfort we loved from our old Carnival. :-(

Besides it's a pain in the rear to pack eggcrates with you.

Carole

Our last two cruise the mattresses were horrible and even the comforter that our steward put under the sheets didn't help.

So now I refer to the beds on carnival as the prison bunks.

I'm a nurse and from years of lifting I have a very tempermental back and I am used to a double pillowtop at home.

I loved the beds on Carnival when we first started cruising and we came back to Carnival from Celebrity because of the wonderful beds, it was just more comfortable. Now I have two FCCs to use and we will move on to a different line, the hard mattress is a deal breaker for me.

If I want fun, party and a hard lumpy surface to sleep on we can freaking camp ( I sooooooooooo don't camp, lol)

Anyway our last cruise I bought two eggcrates in the space bags that shrink down to nothing with a vacuum. It worked very well but still not the level of comfort we loved from our old Carnival. :-(

Besides it's a pain in the rear to pack eggcrates with you.

Carole

Where have you been? I have totally missed your common sense and sane posts :D

Interesting thread...I do remember my first Carnival cruise in 2011/Miracle and it confirmed CC experience that Carnival has comfortable beds. It seems subtle to me but thinking back on my recent Carnival cruises the beds don't seem as soft/comfortable as in the past...but that could be cabin specific/age etc. It wasn't like the bed was killing us...but not the same "I love my bed" feeling when you first plop down. Next time we sail I will keep this in the back of my mind to see if it is a more noticeable experience. I am sure this thread will continue for some time....get more reports. :)

About to sail Princess, known for their hard beds...but word is they are upgrading/changing their mattresses throughout the fleet. However they do have a decent supply of egg crates if requested (I asked on one Carnival cruises and they did not have any.....I had just had back surgery and wanted to have a softer cushion....but I made it aok).

John in NC

I have cruised 4 times on Carnival on three different ships. Each time I had a bed that was more comfortable than the one I have at home with the $1000 mattress.

Glad you like the beds on Carnival.

Just curious, what do you make of the comments on this thread from many posters who now find the beds on Carnival less comfortable than on their previous Carnival cruises?

Maybe the manufacturer changed the way they make the mattresses. So maybe they are buying the same mattress but the product has changed. I think people should complain to guest services while on board or write a letter to corporate to let them know of their issues with the mattresses. Complaining here on this board does not really do much good in bringing about change.

Glad you like the beds on Carnival.

Just curious, what do you make of the comments on this thread from many posters who now find the beds on Carnival less comfortable than on their previous Carnival cruises?

I suspect a little bit of "pack mentality" If I started a new thread that claimed the Prime Rib is now McRib, I bet a bunch would suddenly pipe up with, "yeah, they don't taste as good anymore".

Archived