Does anyone work just so they can cruise?

celebrity

I am almost at that point in my life. House is paid off, sons education paid for, husband semi retired and I am still working full time. I would love to work part-time but that would mean giving up,some travel which I refuse to do.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I am at a point in my life when projecting to retire early (by normal standards) seems very enticing. But the down side of that is making due with some less income. The easiest and most luxury category to slice is, of course, cruising. Even though I would dearly love to say goodbye to the work-a-day world, the sacrifice is more than I am willing to make. We cruise multiple times a year, and my longevity enables me to still take plenty of time off, while maintaining our income level to afford to travel.

But I am longing to take three and four weeks at a time. Right now, I feel guilty if I take more than two weeks at a shot.

Edited by logan25

I am at a point in my life when projecting to retire early (by normal standards) seems very enticing. But the down side of that is making due with some less income. The easiest and most luxury category to slice is, of course, cruising. Even though I would dearly love to say goodbye to the work-a-day world, the sacrifice is more than I am willing to make. We cruise multiple times a year, and my longevity enables me to still take plenty of time off, while maintaining our income level to afford to travel.

But I am longing to take three and four weeks at a time. Right now, I feel guilty if I take more than two weeks at a shot.

I feel your pain. This is the first time I'll be taking a 12 day cruise..14 consecutive days off.

Feeling a bit guilty but working on removing that guilt. 😀

I am almost at that point in my life. House is paid off, sons education paid for, husband semi retired and I am still working full time. I would love to work part-time but that would mean giving up,some travel which I refuse to do.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I work 2 jobs. My son calls my 2nd job our vacation money lol. which is pretty much the truth. we could pay the bills on the one job but who wants to just pay the bills and never get out and enjoy life! Going on the freedom in a week, so i'm loving that 2nd job at the moment!

I worked extremely hard running my own multimedia company for 15 years and tried to retire when I was 40. I got so bored that I went back to work for someone else within a year, just to have something to get me out of bed every day. We used that extra income to travel as often as possible. But it wasn't always cruising - we do a lot of camping/hiking/outdoor type stuff. Then the market crashed. Looks like I'll be working for quite a while longer than I had planned and our vacations will apparently be less frequent :(

This year marks my 35th year working as an R.N. The first half of these years I paid my dues working nights, weekends, and more holidays than I can count in jobs with not the greatest pay, poor benefits and working conditions, and minimal vacation time. My work ship came in 17 years ago with a job just the opposite of what I previously experienced with the greatest benefit of it being truly enjoyable. With the house long paid for and a salary that allows me to contribute max to my 401K plus other investments, and with 5 weeks of very flexible annual vacation this allows me now to cruise pretty much whenever I want. So for me, unless my health would decline making working difficult, it would be foolish for me not to work another 10 years give or take to full retirement age which would allow me the retirement income to continue to support my cruise and spoiling the grandkids lifestyle :)

Yep, working to 1am some nights & working weekends running my own web/graphic design business is hard slog sometimes, but I'm driven to pay for my 6.5 weeks away in 3 months time!

Only problem is running your own business sometimes means doing some work whilst away. But hey, designing web sites in the middle of the Pacific on a cruise ship is one heck of an office with a view!!:D

I feel guilty for having so long away from home though, but when you have to fly half way across the world to start your holiday you don't really want to spend just 2 weeks there. Plus cruising home means no baggage weight issues & no flying!:)

I am retired almost 2 yrs. but may go back part time just to be able to cruise more!

Had to laugh when I read this. I will be eligible for early retirement in the summer of 2015, but everything will be based on having enough to maintain our cruising lifestyle !

After working 25 years in a career that did not allow me to take more than 6-8 vacation days at a time, (upper management had to approve) I am working regular PRN, THANK YOU NEW HUBBY. I have no benefits but I can finally take off as much time as I can afford. Now before my joints wear out, I am going to Alaska for 2 weeks and have a 15 night Panamal Canal transit in 2015. My husband said I could stop working all together but that would mean a limited budget for cruises. I can't have that so, I continue to work and volunteer to work more hours and holidays to save for the big cruises.

I flew aircraft for over 45+years as a career.

I went to some pretty exciting and, exotic spots while DW stayed home, and, raised our two daughters. I always said to DW..."Don't worry, someday, I will bring you here.."

Ha!

Little did I ever realize that those words would come back to me some day..the time is now...I have taken the DW alot of places in our cruises, she could only imagine before. So, I have kept my word...I just never realized that in order to get Susan OFF a cruise ship, I MUST have something else booked in advance...and, that's the truth...but, I worked a long time to get to these cruising days. There is really something to going places at

18 knots at sea level, with a rum and, coke in hand, instead

of .85 Mach, 8 miles high, with that a cup of luke warm, hours old stale coffee... :D

Yeah, pretty much all of us on CC! :D;)

But my job makes it so I can only cruise at expensive times, summer and spring break. When I retire in 9 years, I might not be able to afford as much. But I can catch those last minute deals and I won't have kids to drag along:) Retirement is sounding better already.

I can see a lot of stories that are similar to us now and in the future. I will retire in Jan of 2016 ( I hope), and my *bit younger* husband will be able to retire the next year. His job is always crying for casuals so the plan is to send him back working enough weeks to pay for a couple of nice cruises each year. I will be getting three pensions and worked a lot longer than him so I can be gramma while he works for our vacations :cool:

Count me in too! I have been an RN for 43 years and still working (NICU). The job is hard, but rewarding (most days) and provides for seeing all corners of the world, I feel so blessed.

I'd love to retire but still places to go, grandchildren to spoil....:)