alaska excursions without spending a fortune

DixielouGroo

we are on the ncl pearl from seattle may 26. With a 7 member party including grandma ( age 70) and the little one age 7, and 3 older teen boys, we have a diverse group and are spending a minor fortune before ever boarding the ship.:eek: That said, we are looking to enjoy our stops without a lot of pricey excursions. Suggestions are greatly appreciated for free or low cost ( under 30 per person and that would be for something "not to be missed" ) activities for Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Victoria -- thanks!

we are on the ncl pearl from seattle may 26. With a 7 member party including grandma ( age 70) and the little one age 7, and 3 older teen boys, we have a diverse group and are spending a minor fortune before ever boarding the ship.:eek: That said, we are looking to enjoy our stops without a lot of pricey excursions. Suggestions are greatly appreciated for free or low cost ( under 30 per person and that would be for something "not to be missed" ) activities for Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Victoria -- thanks!

Hi,

We have been to Alaska once and found the tours to be incredible expensive even booking ourselves not through the ship.

If you go to http://www.tripadvisor.com and search each port you will find tons of reviews and information there.

When we are there this August we don't want to spend much money so we are going to take the public bus in Ketchikan for $1.00 per person each way to Totem Bight State Park to see totem poles and there is a place there also that is always in process of carving.

We like to walk and there are short trails at each port. We also Geocache and there are caches to find in port too. You might want to search the internet via google to look up "things to do for free in ........" or something like that.

My daughter in law bought yarn at a local shop in one of the ports that she made a lovely scarf from.

Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is not too far from town and there are many cars that can take you there where you can see something amazing closer than the other glaciers.

You will have a blast.

Walking tours are free, head to your library and get Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, doesn't matter what year. :) Both have walking tours detailed.

The above post references going to Totem Bight. I highly recommend bring with you, a self printed totem guide. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm Potlatch Park is the other reference.

You need to know the details of riding the bus. Hopefully you have an early port time, as the buses are far less crowded. If you happen to have a 10a or similar time, load at the library. Be prepared to wait for the hourly bus.

The central bus stop, is across from the Eagle Totem on the dock, just outside the tunnel. There is a small sign for the bus stop. You MUST cross the street.

Allow 3 hours for Totem Bight, another hour if you include Potlatch Park.

Edited by Budget Queen

I admit I did not use it, but I am pretty sure there is an inexpensive bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. There is a visitor center and some hikes in the area.

In Skagway the downtown is completely walkable and there is a tour at the bar/brothel that I missed by 5 minutes but was only $5 a person.

Edited by Gig103

I admit I did not use it, but I am pretty sure there is an inexpensive bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. There is a visitor center and some hikes in the area.

\QUOTE]

The shuttle bus is $16pp round trip. Visitor Center admission is $3pp. There are also free ranger activities.

An alternative transit could also be a couple rental cars or van.

Ketchikan also offers a free shuttle bus from the pier which will take you to Creek Street, the Totem Heritage center and a number of other places as well.

Skagway also has a very modestly priced shuttle which will take you to a number of close in attractions. The National Park Service has a wonderful activity center.

In Juneau you can walk to both the Alaska State Museum and the Juneau City Museum.

In Victoria the walk from the cruise ship terminal to downtown is about 20 minutes, it is a level pretty walk, a couple of taxis will run you $10 per taxi each way, the shuttle bus will cost $10 pp return (two taxis will be cheaper for the 7 of you) or you can take a transit bus from outside the terminal gates for $2.50 pp each way.

We are going on back to back Alaskan Cruises (Carnival Miracle) out of Seattle in June. We have never done this before and so we need some help on some great shore excursions. Anyone have any ideas?

Teensover 50

• 3 weeks later...

What an awesome time! Thanks for all the advice!

Juneau: we prearranged taki ( taku taxi ) friendly driver Shane showed us iPhone pics of his bear hunting, pointed out nice area facts. Gave us his cell # for a pickup call after dropping us off at mendehall glacier - a must see! About 35$ each way for cab so $10 each pp. plus tip.

Mendenhall was free, we had icy cold water fountain and nice restrooms outside of visitor center and didn't go in. Walked to the falls- awesome! With granny and a 7 yr old was not tough walk but allow for leisurely pace- it was a warm day and we were bit hot- wish we had taken water bottles! Spent about hour at falls- fun time!

Skagway : our big excursion expenditure of the cruise$ 119 each to ride train to white pass summit was so worth it!!! We all felt that was well spent and offered different views and some inland high mountain terrain vistas--was plenty long enough and this was the short 3.5 hr rdtrip ride. Just right!

Ketchikan: little bit of souvenir shopping and strolling around. Misty rainy day and we just enjoyed being there without an agenda.

Thought about lumberjack show but just wanted to relax.

Pretty view from the ship right on the docks.

Victoria: $9 each way cab ride for 4 to historic section, pretty buildings, hubby and I stayed on ship to have quiet dinner alone and pre pack for early departure, but granny and teens enjoyed it and showed me nice photos. Again, pretty view from ship too, softer terrain after rugged Alaska was nice to sit on balcony and relax.

My first Alaskan cruise and honestly with all there is to do onboard and all the great sights to see from ship ( whales, wildlife etc if you watch, amazing scenery that never gets old, calving glaciers, great kids and teen program) you do not need a huge excursion budget to enjoy this trip!

Juneau: we prearranged taki ( taku taxi ) friendly driver Shane showed us iPhone pics of his bear hunting, pointed out nice area facts. Gave us his cell # for a pickup call after dropping us off at mendehall glacier - a must see! About 35$ each way for cab so $10 each pp. plus tip.

Mendenhall was free, we had icy cold water fountain and nice restrooms outside of visitor center and didn't go in. Walked to the falls- awesome! With granny and a 7 yr old was not tough walk but allow for leisurely pace- it was a warm day and we were bit hot- wish we had taken water bottles! Spent about hour at falls- fun time!

Skagway : our big excursion expenditure of the cruise$ 119 each to ride train to white pass summit was so worth it!!! We all felt that was well spent and offered different views and some inland high mountain terrain vistas--was plenty long enough and this was the short 3.5 hr rdtrip ride. Just right!

Ketchikan: little bit of souvenir shopping and strolling around. Misty rainy day and we just enjoyed being there without an agenda.

Victoria: $9 each way cab ride for 4 to historic section, pretty buildings, hubby and I stayed on ship to have quiet dinner alone and pre pack for early departure, but granny and teens enjoyed it and showed me nice photos. Again, pretty view from ship too, softer terrain after rugged Alaska was nice to sit on balcony and relax.

My first Alaskan cruise and honestly with all there is to do onboard and all the great sights to see from ship ( whales, wildlife etc if you watch, amazing scenery that never gets old, calving glaciers, great kids and teen program) you do not need a huge excursion budget to enjoy this trip!

Thanks Dixielou for the update. You have made me even more excited for our first trip to Alaska in August!

My absolute thing we did in Ketchikan was to just explore. About 3 blocks from the pier is the Funicular (Tram). It costs about $3.00 pp to ride it to the top of the hill. You will have a beautiful view of the downtown area as well as all of the cruise ships in port.

There are a few totem poles at the top, but our favorite thing was to take a leisurely walk back down using the Married Man's Trail. Back when all of the buildings on the Creek Street were brothels, the married men had a secret trail to go back home. Along the creek you will find many spots to take pictures and sit on a bench to relax. It is not a tough walk at all. There is also a spot along the trail to watch the salmon swimming upstream. That doesn't start until the end of June. We plan on taking this same walk in a few weeks again.

Walking along Creek Street was quite enjoyable as well.

thanks so much for the update!! We are taking the same cruise in August!! Any ship tips for us?

Thanks for coming back to update! We are taking our first Alaskan cruise in a few weeks and looking for inexpensive things to do in port. It's tough because everyone seems to think you have to take the expensive excursions to get the most out of your trip, but even though there are only two of us, we just do not have endless funds to spend in each port. Nice to know you felt like you got a genuine taste of Alaska without breaking the bank!

here's a full review-I forgot to mention the boys and granny had a fun time at the Red Onion in Skagway-( well one of the boys was pretty embarrassed but he is shy and the other 2 had a big time ) - after hubby heard about it, he wished we had gone with them instead of to the brewing co in search of the elusive spruce tip ale! although if you like microbrews the brewing co is fun. we did the bar/grill not the tour fyi.

the Red Onion and the brewing co are just a few blocks away so you can easily do both ( if you want the spruce tip ale go to the brew co early as they run out often )

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221269

Love the tram and trail, sounds like something we would really enjoy if not raining.

Rain should not be a factor here. It's Ketchikan; good chance it will be raining! If you let rain stop you from doing things, you might not do much. Be prepared for rain with a good waterproof jacket with a hood and have fun!

For the teens and perhaps some of the adults I would suggest the free hike from town in Skagway out to the Goldrush Cemetery then up to Reid Falls. The waterfall is worth the hike and the history attached to the Goldrush Cemtery is very interesting as well. When I say a hike I do mean a hike ... I think from the visitor center in Skagway it is a three or four mile hike round trip though about half of that is through the town of Skagway itself. I think there is a city bus that will drop you off close to the cemetery for a nominal fee if you don't want that kind of hike.

In Juneau, the Juneau Whale Watch company had really good online deals when we booked that cut our whale watching cost by about half for hubby and I and while a small company, they are very knowledgeable. If that is out then take the city bus to Mendenhall Glacier ... older party members can have a good time at the visitor center (accessible via an elevator for those that can't do the hill up to it) and the 45 minute hike out to Nugget Falls would be another Wow for the more active members of your party. Even the photography points near the roundabout where the buses drop off provide a draw dropping look or three.

In Ketchikan the funicular/tram up to the small resort at the top of Married Man's Trail is more than worth the $2 for the ride. $2 is for the whole day (they put a bingo spot on the top of your hand) and the boys can hike down Married Man's Trail and meat you at the bottom at the end of Creek Street which is itself interesting but tending hard towards needing rejuvenation.

When in port expect just about everything to be more expensive than you expect and build it into your budget ... especially drinks and food. I can see three teenage boys needing to be refueled on a regular basis some come prepared. (grin)

• 1 year later...

Right now, I have our excursions booked through the ship. Now I'm curious about the difference in prices.

Being that this is my first time cruising...I will admit to be a little nervous about booking excursions on my own. Afraid i will screw up or something.

What are the suggestions on this? For Alaska, what are the local groups I can book them from?

we are going to alaska for the first time in late july with our 2 grandchildren and I am in the process of booking our excursions. With her advice and looking at the ships' tours we are doing a combination and there is a difference in the prices. The ships are always more expensive and the tour companies guarantee that they will return you in time to board. They do not want to have a poor reputation and this is their livelihood.