New York City Cruise

psycomac

Hi all...

Ok so, I've been on one cruise and it was completely arranged by my mom. Therefore, I am absolutely clueless about how to do this. Any info ya'll can give me would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I know.

Cruising in October or November of this year.

Wanting to leave from New York

Will be staying in a hotel the night before we leave and the day we get back (no flying home same day for us!)

Will be having a car to take us from airport to hotel, hotel to terminal, and back again.

Looking at the 7-8 day Eastern Caribbean Itinerary through Carnival.

5 travelers; me, my husband, our 4 year old daughter and my husband's 2 18+ sons.

Links, personal anecdotes, pictures, reviews, tips, tricks. I need it all. We'll be vacationing as in style as we can manage, balconies at the minimum, suites are not out of the question and first class flight. Hotel star rating isn't important, we won't be there long enough to make a difference.

This is the one and only time that we'll be able to pull off something like this probably ever so we're looking to have as good an experience as possible and money is within reason no object (hence the balconies/suites).

I haven't even begun to book yet, just getting my toes in the water to see what's what.

Oh and we have to be able to swim with dolphins at one of the ports of call lol

Thanks!

Three recommendations. First, find a travel agent. We can't recommend, name or discuss agents on Cruise Critic. So check with friends, co-workers, relatives for their ideas.

Second, do some reading down this page for hotels (also check TripAdvisor, far better for hotel info), car services and the other info about the NYC area.

Lastly, some reading over on the Carnival board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

will be very helpful. I am sensing Carnival may not be for you, but I could be wrong.

Actually Carnival is perfect for us :) My mom sailed exclusively on Carnival and the one I went on with her was the Elation out of Galveston and I had the most incredible time.

We're not 'luxury' people but my mom passed away last week and I'm going to be inheriting some money from her so as a fitting tribute to her and as a way to say goodbye, we're going to go on the first ever family vacation we've ever had. And I'm taking my husband's sons with us because it might be (like I said) the only chance we ever have to do something like this.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure that I'll be booking through someone just because of the different variables that will need to be considered but I also want input from fellow cruisers here on their NYC experiences. I've always wanted to go to NYC so I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone in departing from there. And since there are quite a few hotels in between the airport and the terminal, I'm hoping for some personal experiences to help guide me into which one to book. Also for personal experiences with local car services and the terminal itself. I've only traveled with my daughter one other time so parents of toddlers are especially invited to give their 2 cents lol

There are a lot of details to arrange so you need to take it step by step. First would be to decide on a cruise date. If you have flexible dates, then look at airfare and airports. Meanwhile research NY hotels - 5 in a room can be a real problem. Hotels are geared for up to 4 people, so you are not going to have as many options with 5 people. I would second the recommendation to find a travel agent and don't forget cruise insurance. Look at an independent policy for your group that would cover you from the moment you leave your house until you return. If you buy insurance through the cruise company, your flights are not covered unless you book them through the cruise company.

Oh I'd get two rooms lol There's no way I'm trying to fit 4 adults and one 4 year old in one room lol. I just hope that people write up about their personal experiences because I'm walking into it completely blind.

We live in NJ so we don't stay in NY that often, but we have. We've stayed at the Hilton and the Crowne Plaza at Times Sq. If you have the money - it's the place to be. If you get a river facing room at the Crowne Plaza you can actually watch the ship come in - but you have to get up early. Times Sq is convenient to everything and only a quick cab ride to the pier.

We do always sail out of NYC! It's such a fabulous sail away. If you go in Oct or Nov - it may be dark enough that you'll see all the lights. Get a movie/video camera or learn how to work the video option on your camera. Still pics don't work - I speak from experience! The Statue of Liberty and the Verrazano Bridge will be lit up too!

Make sure you go up on the top deck for sail away - and bundle up - it will be cold and windy! The NY skyline will be on the left/port side of the ship facing the bow - as will the new Freedom Tower. The Statue of Liberty and NJ skyline (we have one too - just not quite as spectacular - but hey, we have the Palisades!) will be on the right/starboard.

Once you pass the end of Manhattan (on your left) you will be in the harbor (and that's where the Statue is). You will likely see lots of boats and the Staten Island ferry. Then you go under the bridge - always fun because it's a tight fit!

If you follow the links in my sig - I've got pics of those cruises - all out of NY on various Carnival ships. We'll be sailing on the Splendor in June so I should have more soon.

Embarkation is usually quite efficient. It will probably seem chaotic, but they have everything well in hand. This is NY - we move people through fast :D. They have spruced up the piers recently, so they are a lot nicer than they used to be. A lot depends on how many ships will be in port that day.

Debarkation is kind of crazed - again depending on how many ships are in, but if you're staying over night, that shouldn't be a problem.

JKF is the furthest airport away. Newark Liberty (in NJ) and La Guardia are closer, but it will cost you more from Newark to NY than La Guardia, because the Hudson river tolls are high.

As time gets closer and you pick out your cruise, post your questions and I'll see if I can help!

Thank you so much! I was reading some less than stellar reviews of the Splendor last night and was considering changing our departure point to someplace south but then I remembered (how could I forget???) the new Freedom tower, the Statue of Liberty and all the other things that are reasons I have always wanted to go to New York and I wanted to slap myself in the head lol. Depending on how much I can get away with booking the actual cruise and flights for will dictate what I do with regard to a hotel.

My mother passed away a week ago today and aside from touring National Parks (she was an avid photog) her favorite vacation was cruising. She went on I think 3 or 4, including the one she took me on in 2003 (2002?) when we sailed The Elation out of Galveston. I'm taking my husband's 2 grown sons with us because now more than ever I realize how important these family memories are and none of us has ever been on a real vacation before. I know that my mom would be thrilled beyond words that she was able to provide the means for us to do something like this and I'm sure wherever she is, she's looking down smiling and nodding.

I'm going to book us first class air, a car service and suites on the ship because quite honestly when will we ever have the chance to do this again? Probably never lol. I had actually completely forgotten all about it being NYC (again, how could I forget??) so I might book a couple of extra days in the hotel on either end of the cruise just so that I can get a bit of sightseeing in.

I'll look forward to reviewing your pictures once you're back from your cruise in June! I've been trying to find pictures and/or video of the ocean and grand suites on the Splendor but they appear to be few and far between...

NCL sails out of NYC, and has a brand new ship! NCL's suite perks are the best, I have heard. We are sailing NCL for the third time I'm November on the new Breakaway, but the Gem is nice, too (and cheaper).

NCL sails out of NYC, and has a brand new ship! NCL's suite perks are the best, I have heard. We are sailing NCL for the third time I'm November on the new Breakaway, but the Gem is nice, too (and cheaper).

does the Gem sail out of NYC? (I'm looking at the breakaway right now it looks amazing lol and my 4 yr old is excited for the Nickelodeon stuff lol)

My mother passed away a week ago today and aside from touring National Parks (she was an avid photog) her favorite vacation was cruising. She went on I think 3 or 4, including the one she took me on in 2003 (2002?) when we sailed The Elation out of Galveston. I'm taking my husband's 2 grown sons with us because now more than ever I realize how important these family memories are and none of us has ever been on a real vacation before. I know that my mom would be thrilled beyond words that she was able to provide the means for us to do something like this and I'm sure wherever she is, she's looking down smiling and nodding.

I'm going to book us first class air, a car service and suites on the ship because quite honestly when will we ever have the chance to do this again? Probably never lol. I had actually completely forgotten all about it being NYC (again, how could I forget??) so I might book a couple of extra days in the hotel on either end of the cruise just so that I can get a bit of sightseeing in.

I'll look forward to reviewing your pictures once you're back from your cruise in June! I've been trying to find pictures and/or video of the ocean and grand suites on the Splendor but they appear to be few and far between...

Sorry to hear about your Mom! We have the aft wrap 6485 - if you Google Splendor 6485 there is a video of the room. You said you were going in Oct or Nov so I don't know if you need the big balcony - in that case, the suite would be better I think.

NYC is just fantastic! It's one of the things I really love about living in northern NJ - we are so close to NY!

Archived