Do I need to request the bed configuration?

Pipester

My daughter and I are booked into a VC cabin on the Westerdam - I know that the beds can either be set up as twins or as a queen.

We want them configured as twins - do I need to request that they be set up that way, or is that the "default"?

You can make your request in advance but if for whatever reason if you arrive at the cabin and the beds are joined, steward will quickly with no problem separate them for you. Just ask. :)

My daughter and I are booked into a VC cabin on the Westerdam - I know that the beds can either be set up as twins or as a queen.

We want them configured as twins - do I need to request that they be set up that way, or is that the "default"?

you can review your booking & see what you presently have requested and/or call to find out. I personally would request in advance how you want them set up, but if you dont it's not a big deal- they will always fix them for you after you arrive. Cabin steward would probably prefer to just set up correctly in the beginning

Where can I find that information in my booking? When I look at the reservation or itinerary, I see my stateroom category (no cabin assigned yet) and dining request, but nothing about the room configuration.

I wonder if I should wait until the room is assigned, then call?

I don't mind asking the steward to change the set up if need be, but I would rather save them the trouble in the first place :)

On our cruise 2 years ago, we'd requested twin beds, but they were together when we boarded. When we met our stewards, we asked for the beds to be separated, and by the time we were done exploring the ship, they were set up as twins. It's a quick fix for them if they're not right when you board.

When we book a cruise, we request right away how we want the bed(s).

A couple of times years ago when we arrived at the cabin the beds were in a twin configuration. We told our cabin steward that we wanted them as king.

When we returned after dinner, they were set up as we wished.

I always request that the beds be set up as twins and every time they've been set up as a double. Each time the steward has changed the configuration quickly for us.

Debbie

We always ask for twin bed set up but always find the double when we board - so we asked the room steward and he said that when they see that it is a married couple they automatically set up for double - seems a waste of energy and effort to me as so many couples that we know ask for a twin set up - mostly because it gives more room and you are able to get to the window to see out.

We always ask for twin bed set up but always find the double when we board - so we asked the room steward and he said that when they see that it is a married couple they automatically set up for double - seems a waste of energy and effort to me as so many couples that we know ask for a twin set up - mostly because it gives more room and you are able to get to the window to see out.

This brings up a good point. We find, in an outside view cabin, that having it set up as twins allows viewing out of the window, without having to sit on the bed. However, when we are in a verandah cabin, we keep the beds together to allow for more room. We are mother and daughter.

We haven't been in a larger verandah cabin yet so can't speak to the bed arrangement in those cabins.

I think that is just an excuse. I think they just leave it the same way it was for the person before. Many times I would ask for twins so I could have an extra place to put some of my belongings. They would question me about this every time to get me to change my mind, even though I told them to wait for the next day. Now I just give up.

We have never had a comment from any cabin staff when requesting a change from Queen to Twin - usually request it in advance but no big deal if we walk in and find the beds in the wrong configuration ... the stewards are always quick to reverse them ...

We have never had a comment from any cabin staff when requesting a change from Queen to Twin - usually request it in advance but no big deal if we walk in and find the beds in the wrong configuration ... the stewards are always quick to reverse them ...

I believe in my case it's because I'm alone in the room and maybe they think I'm confused. I doubt they would have any reason to mention it to anyone that is traveling with someone else.

I think that is just an excuse. I think they just leave it the same way it was for the person before.
I agree. We always request twins when in an R, S, or Vista class Outside (with the head of the bed under the window) and have never found it that way when we boarded.

I have long suspected that the stewards leave the beds in the previous configuration, and make the switch if/when it's requested.

I think that too often they found that the information they had to work with was incorrect, or the new passengers had changed their minds, and the beds had to be changed back. The stewards were changing the set-up twice.

By waiting to make the switch they save time in the long run.

When we book a cruise, we request right away how we want the bed(s).

A couple of times years ago when we arrived at the cabin the beds were in a twin configuration. We told our cabin steward that we wanted them as king.

When we returned after dinner, they were set up as we wished.

Off topic, but thank you for pointing this out.

I don't know why HAL calls them Queen beds! Having been in the innkeeping business for 20 years, two twins = a king bed! A queen is 60" wide; twins are 39" or 72" when pushed together. Sorry...but this hs always bugged me.

I thought it was just us who never got the right configuration. Our travel agent always puts us down for the beds to be together (and it shows up right on our booking info) but they're usually set up as singles when we get to the ship. Sometimes we leave them that way--appreciating the extra room it can give us. But some cabins work better with the beds together.

Archived