My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Could anyone tell us about the Coffee aboard? As we know, the ships use a syrup system that is not one of our favourites. But those ships also make fresh coffee for which there is a charge. What is the situation on the Cristal?

Edited by ONT-CA

Hi all!

I see Aaron has posted his Holguin day account. He lists the shore excursions available & seeing the price for a child got me wondering were there children on anyone's cruise?

Aaron ~ thanks so much for the hints on what to eat & drink, also money changing.. I was surprised to hear the pork was tough as ours has always been good. Looking forward to your next instalment.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

retiring soon .............. there were 2 children (one I believe was a teenager) with their parents down the hall from us - not sure whether they boarded in Montego Bay with us, or in Havana on the 13th. They were very quiet. They are the only ones I recall seeing.

Ours was a very quiet cruise. I heard there were several children on the Christmas cruise. I also saw 4 (about 8 years to teenagers) on our cruise who enbarked in Montego Bay. They had a blast dancing with Danny at the end of the evening show.

We're getting excited! We leave February 10th but will have 3 nights in Havana prior to the cruise. The couple we are travelling with like to eat late so we have chosen the late seating but earlier on someone said they weren't going by the seating times. Does anyone know if this is true? It would be nice to eat sometime in between their early and late seating time. Can you book your excursions when you get to the ship? We have booked some with our travel agent but thought we would like to make some choices once we were on the ship. Thanks for any help.

They tailor the meal options to the cruise size. Our was very small so they offered only dinner in La Scala restaurant (open seating, usually 7-9 pm, but dependent on entertainment times as sometimes local entertainment came on board for a show before the ship sailed). There is always the Alberta Steakhouse and they also offered a limited menu at the Sports Bar, for a charge. We always chose the La Scala because we had such a good time (guests, wait staff) and reasonable to excellent food. They always offer 'afternoon tea' at the Traviata buffet from 4-5. You won't go hungary and the offerings at the tea made a very nice snack to tide you over to dinner. I assume with larger crowds, the mealtime options will change so you will have to see when you get there. All I can say for certain is that the staff will do everything to accommodate you.

Janet

I can't comment on excursions booked through TAs as we booked ours on board

Also coffee, my husband advises that the coffee he had at mealtimes was fine (but definitely not Tim Hortons but better than Starbucks for all you coffee drinkers who know what that means). They did offer espresso and other specialty coffee. That is all I can contribute.

Janet

I can't comment on excursions booked through TAs as we booked ours on board

Also coffee, my husband advises that the coffee he had at mealtimes was fine (but definitely not Tim Hortons but better than Starbucks for all you coffee drinkers who know what that means). They did offer espresso and other specialty coffee. That is all I can contribute.

Janet

Thank you On y va for the good coffee news. And that information is probably enough to sell out any open bookings for this year and all of the next...

Hi all!

I see Aaron has posted his Holguin day account. He lists the shore excursions available & seeing the price for a child got me wondering were there children on anyone's cruise?

Aaron ~ thanks so much for the hints on what to eat & drink, also money changing.. I was surprised to hear the pork was tough as ours has always been good. Looking forward to your next instalment.;)

Jo - There were a few kids on my sailing, but not many. I'd expect that to change around March when many schools have their Spring Break.

I have to admit I was surprised about the pork! Our guide did such a good job of talking up how good it was that I thought the pork would be a no-brainer; turns out the fish or beef would have been a better choice :)

We loved the coffee on the Cristal - it was almost as good as what we brew at home! We are not Tim Horton's fans so believe it is much better than their coffee.

Yesterday we watched the cruise DVD which we bought onboard - it was excellent. It was tailored to our week on the ship and showed entertainment, onboard life, many crew members, the ports we visited, some excursions, and some of our new cruise friends. It is a lovely souvenir of our cruise. :o

I just returned from a 7-day circumnavigation of Cuba onboard Louis Cristal (charted for the season by the Canadian company Cuba Cruises). And let me just say it was fantastic!

Although I expected a tired oldership... the Louis Cristal was fabulous. The public rooms well-designed and well decorated. The dining room was lovely... and our cabin (one of the mini suites on deck 7 forward) was perfect. And the balcony was so so welcome for such an itinerary.

And speaking of the itinerary... we boarded in Montego Bay... and the five ports in Cuba gave us a perfect overview of the entire country... from Cienfuegos, to the Isle of Youth (perhaps the finest unspoiled white-sand beach I've ever seen), to the dramatic city of Havana, to provinces of Holguin/Attila... and then finally to experience the Afro-Cuban culture of Santiago de Cuba, before returning to Montego Bay and the flight home.

The crew onboard was superb. And this... from someone who often travels Crystal and Silversea and Oceania. They were warm and friendly and so eager to please. We enjoyed one seating onboard for all meals...

Embarkation/Disembarkation in Montego Bay was a snap. And getting on and off the ship in every port along the way just couldn't be easier.

The entertainment onboard was far better than expected, with high quality shows every night, showcasing a blend between Montreal-based Cirque Fantastique and singers and dancers from Cuba. The orchestra in the Metropolitan Lounge (for dancing and all shows) was superb... Havana Moon Band, they are called. We could have listen them all the time!

Although meals were plentiful and lavish, the food quality onboard could be raised a notch or so...

But one doesn't take this kind of cruise solely for the cuisine... CUBA is what it's all about. And there is no other way to experience that island so well, and in such comfort and safety.

This Cuba Cruise itinerary is planned for the next few years, at least... perhaps December through March or April.

Recommendations? Run... do not walk... to book this surprisingly inexpensive voyage. Every well-traveled person must see Cuba before changes take place; a snapshot in history, for sure. And in my book, Cuba Cruises is clearly the one and only way to go.

Island Venturer, I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. I just became aware of this cruise recently and plan to book it for next season as soon as it becomes available. Can you give me some idea of the size of the balcony in your cabin? Is it big enough for a couple of chairs and table for instance? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Arrow Fan

Hi all!

kahlolin ~ thanks so much for that info. My friend who went to Cuba in the '70's still remembers the Cuban coffee & asks for that blend at the store.

I'm not usually a coffee drinker, a double double kind of drinker but do remember not even needing sugar in their fine coffee. Did anybody see coffee for sale anywhere?

So glad to hear there's a DVD I always buy one even if I don't always watch it.

Island Venturer ~ thanks for your glowing report of your Cristal experience.:D

Did you do any of their shore excursions? Did you do anything in Montego Bay precruise? I am so looking forward to our turn in just one week!!

Have a great weekend!

Island Venturer, I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. I just became aware of this cruise recently and plan to book it for next season as soon as it becomes available. Can you give me some idea of the size of the balcony in your cabin? Is it big enough for a couple of chairs and table for instance? Thanks in advance.

Louis Cristal is not a very large ship... and the balconies therefore aren't very large either. But we comfortably had two chairs out there (moved from the room). Not like balconies on the more contemporary ships... but certainly functional and enjoyable.

We did not do a pre-cruise in Montego Bay; just went directly from the airport to the ship.

The Cuba excursions were excellent. Great history, well told (only one poor guide in Cienfuegos but she will not be returning, I'm told). Havana guides were top notch. The Havana City tour was truly wonderful, as was the evening at the famed Tropicana!

Enjoy... I'm jealous. I wish I was still onboard!

Hi all!

kahlolin ~ thanks so much for that info. My friend who went to Cuba in the '70's still remembers the Cuban coffee & asks for that blend at the store.

I'm not usually a coffee drinker, a double double kind of drinker but do remember not even needing sugar in their fine coffee. Did anybody see coffee for sale anywhere?

So glad to hear there's a DVD I always buy one even if I don't always watch it.

Island Venturer ~ thanks for your glowing report of your Cristal experience.:D

Did you do any of their shore excursions? Did you do anything in Montego Bay precruise? I am so looking forward to our turn in just one week!!

Have a great weekend!

Island Venturer,

We are thinking to take this Cruise from Montego Bay directly from the airport as you did.

We are wondering if anyone who has been on board can answer some of the questions below.

1. How to get from Montego Bay airport to the cruise? We hear there is a battle with Taxis to get a normal price (not ripped off) and of chaos at the airport side.

2. Dress code do we need smart clothes at all. Formal nights?

3. Gratuities on board - how much are expected / system?

Edited by Seemeilen

HI all!

Island Venturer ~ thanks for that info. You're the first one who's mentionned going to Tropicana which is what DH & I plan to do. I sure hope we pass that lovely lit up cathedral that Aaron posted the picture of on our way.

Aaron ~ thank you for your delightful blog. I want more, a week goes by too fast! You'll have quite a different experience on Carnival Breeze but a good one just the same. I'm still thinking about the insalat di rucola I had at Cucina del Capitano, delizioso. Have a Guy's burger for me.;)

I'll be so glad to escape this winter. Today when I went out to get the newspaper from the driveway I got soaked up to my knees from the snow drifts!

Have a great weekend.

Aaron ~ thank you for your delightful blog. I want more, a week goes by too fast! You'll have quite a different experience on Carnival Breeze but a good one just the same. I'm still thinking about the insalat di rucola I had at Cucina del Capitano, delizioso. Have a Guy's burger for me.;)

You're most welcome, Jo! I am glad you enjoyed it. Yes, Carnival Breeze will be a very different experience, but I am looking forward to trying out all that makes the Fun Ships so popular - and that includes a Guy's burger! The RedFrog Rum Bar also looks pretty good ;)

-Aaron

Seemeilen... is it very easy to get a taxi at Montego Bay airport. Louis Cristal docks at the Freeport Cruise Terminal, about 20 minutes from the airport. Taxi rate should be $30-35US.

Dress Code: Very Casual. I always wear a jacket for dinner, but many did not. Captain's Welcome night, some gentlemen wore ties... but just think casual.

Gratuities are charged to your onboard account. It's $10CD per day... $70CD for the week cruise.

Have a great time!

IV

Island Venturer,

We are thinking to take this Cruise from Montego Bay directly from the airport as you did.

We are wondering if anyone who has been on board can answer some of the questions below.

1. How to get from Montego Bay airport to the cruise? We hear there is a battle with Taxis to get a normal price (not ripped off) and of chaos at the airport side.

Island Venturer,

Seemeilen - I hope this helps:

1. I got totally ripped off while taking an approved taxi from the airport in Montego Bay. It's partly my fault, as I was tired and hot. I'm not sure there's any way around this, other than to just negotiate the heck out of the fare before getting in the car. The cruise pier is about a 15-minute drive away. As for the airport itself - prepare for at least an hour-long wait for Customs & Immigration upon landing. Flights at off-peak times might not be so bad, but my flight arrived along with two flights from the UK and a handful from the US.

2. There's one "Formal" night onboard, and another 'Gala' night. People got dressy without going overboard. I wore a sports jacket, collared shirt, and no tie and was more than dressed up.

3. Gratuities are $10/pp/pd, added to your shipboard account - though you could probably do this in cash if you wished to.

Edited by Atomica

Island Venturer and Atomica,

Thanks a lot for the quick and wonderful replies. I think that is exactly what we needed to know.

Sorry for your experience, Atomica. We will be careful about the taxi.

We went to Cuba, during the Turin Olympic with a Pullmantur ship, Montego Bay was cancelled and we have no idea about Jamaica.

Now we are a bit more confident to book this. Thanks again for your great comments.

We had a planning session with the couple we are going with last night. So looking forward to it.Re: excursions we have decided to book we have already booked a Vinales / havana half day tour independently and will be booking the Holguin and Biran trip but unsure of what else. Ideally we want to get a taxi in other places and go off but not sure how practical / easy that will be.

Anyone know anyone who did the Cienfuegos to Trinidad trip. Seems a long way but really want to see Trinidad if possible. Wondering whether we might look around Cienfuegos then get a taxi for a couple of hours in Trinidad rather than pay what seems a lot for the Trinidad trip that seems to miss out Cienfuegos.

Not sure what to do in Montego either. Not interested in the action stuff - maybe get a taxi to Falmouth.Any suggestions?

Whatever we do - so looking forward to it. Some great info on here and loved Aaron`s blogs.

Haven't gone yet, but have arranged for a driver, van and guide to go to Trinidad for 160CUC total for the four if us. Drive is maybe 1-1/2 hours each way so will go there first, then come back for dinner and to explore Cienfuegos as ship doesn't depart until 9pm that evening.

We had a planning session with the couple we are going with last night. So looking forward to it.Re: excursions we have decided to book we have already booked a Vinales / havana half day tour independently and will be booking the Holguin and Biran trip but unsure of what else. Ideally we want to get a taxi in other places and go off but not sure how practical / easy that will be.

Anyone know anyone who did the Cienfuegos to Trinidad trip. Seems a long way but really want to see Trinidad if possible. Wondering whether we might look around Cienfuegos then get a taxi for a couple of hours in Trinidad rather than pay what seems a lot for the Trinidad trip that seems to miss out Cienfuegos.

Not sure what to do in Montego either. Not interested in the action stuff - maybe get a taxi to Falmouth.Any suggestions?

Whatever we do - so looking forward to it. Some great info on here and loved Aaron`s blogs.