My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi again!

Thanks to both of you for posting .

Sounds exciting & loved your photos, Aaron.

Looking forward to hearing what you did in Mo Bay pre cruise .

Does the cabin have a hair dryer & what

kind of electrical plug please?

Jo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Apparently the WI-Fi aboard the Louis Cristal is operational again and Aaron Saunders has resumed his postings.

http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2014/01/14/postcards-cuba-cruise/

Wow! What amazing photos. Thanks so much for that. It is so much more enjoyable to read than that "not so happy" one on TA. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I look forward to the full report.

HI again!

I found another Cuba cruise thread under TA forums. There's quite a lengthy & not so positive review here. ...~ Jo ~ :)

Political innuendos aside, and considering the opening volley of stolen and forgotten luggage upon arrival at an inaugural cruise event, one gets the sense that the OP's disappointment and negativity in so many areas could be nothing less. I felt for this family. But the old adage When life hands you a lemon...make lemonade, did came to mind and perhaps favourable opportunities were lost in the bitterness. There is much information to savour and heed, which we will. But of the thirty plus cruises under our belt, a few of which were intolerable, some of the OP's negative experiences of this, her third cruise, seemed almost welcome in comparison.;)

Wow! What amazing photos. Thanks so much for that. It is so much more enjoyable to read than that "not so happy" one on TA. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I look forward to the full report.

Unfortunately the site carrying Aaron's photos and comments is reading this at the moment. Not sure what this represents.

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 14/01/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Hi again! ...Does the cabin have a hair dryer & what kind of electrical plug please?

Jo

Found this: (Huffington) All staterooms are equipped with a shower, telephone, hair dryer and TV.

also

tully07 Join Date: Oct 2007

The outlets on the ship are recessed. You will need a converter and an adapter plug in order to use them.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ yikes I see what you mean! Only time I've heard of Go Daddy was on Super Bowl commercials.;) Yes the person was quite negative probably from their problem with the bag & being on an early cruise before wrinkles were smoothed out.

Are you having that lovely balcony with the hot tub? Looks great!

I see there are hairdryers, now I wonder if we need an adapter. Anyone know?

Have a nice day. It's getting closer to cruise time for us all!:D

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks for that info ONT-CA, we must have been posting at the same time.

Edited by retiring soon
saw another post

HI all! ...Are you having that lovely balcony with the hot tub? Looks great!

Have a nice day. It's getting closer to cruise time for us all!:D

~ Jo ~ :) .

Yes, when we first heard of this cruise we were taken back when we saw the layout of this suite. We telephoned them in March of last year to verify and then book for the b2b. It was somewhat of a gamble as to do so we had to pay in full in advance. All seemed to go well but then erroneous data began to show up on our reservation numbers which would have sent us to Cuba a month in advance and then back again a month later. But all is sorted now and we have our full confirmations. We have never had accommodation like this. I don't think other ships even have such accommodations. We are really looking forward to the luxury and the space. But will we ever again enjoy a standard balcony cabin on any another cruise?

I guess I was lucky to see the blog from our friend at "From The Deck Chair" as it seems the registration for his domain name has expired. He has some great photos! I would think he will fix that whenever he gets an internet connection again.

I did find him on Facebook though if you want to look there. Not much reporting about Cuba but a few photos.

http://www.facebook.com/fromthedeckchair?ref=br_rs

HI all!

BLaliberte ~ welcome to Cruise Critic & this roll call.:D We'll be getting on when you reach Montego Bay. I booked this way back in July when nobody seemed to be offering package deals. I'm also flying A/C, but rouge.

ONT-CA ~ I sure hope none of us Ontarians gets a week like this before our cruise!:eek: Pearson airport looks bad!

Love to quilt ~ thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a busy/fun day before the show.;) I did check out TA & we'll book Tropicana while onboard.

Only 2 more days until the blog begins!

I am boarding the cruise on Jan 27 in Havana. Flights times were tight so I booked two days in Havana before the cruise and two days after. The countdown is on.

I am boarding the cruise on Jan 27 in Havana. Flights times were tight so I booked two days in Havana before the cruise and two days after. The countdown is on.

Welcome to Cruise Critic jilliebean55. May we ask if you chose to stay at a hotel in Havana or a Casa Particular? Although many look and we are sure are very comfortable in their presentations, we were concerned about transportation and services at a Casa Particular so chose a full-scale hotel in old Havana.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ you're going to have a fantastic holiday in that cabin! You will be spoiled for an ordinary balcony.;)

jilliebean55 ~ yes, welcome to Cruise Critic!:D I only wish I had found it earlier in my cruising life. We'll be onboard at the same time but you'll have a few days experience before me. I found it difficult to arrange Havana so chose to board in Montego Bay instead.

Bon Voyage to anyone sailing tomorrow!

Have a nice weekend! Looking forward to Aaron's blog starting up again tomorrow & perhaps someone else reporting back. Only 2 weeks 'til DH & I cruise.

My DH and I are in Montego Bay and will be boarding the Ship later on today. It was raining when we arrived yesterday but the temperature was 82 degrees. It rained a lot last night andthis morning is ivercast but warm.

Thanks Aaron for your great comments and pictures! We look forward to hearing more from you .

We'll post when we return

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Welcome to Cruise Critic jilliebean55. May we ask if you chose to stay at a hotel in Havana or a Casa Particular? Although many look and we are sure are very comfortable in their presentations, we were concerned about transportation and services at a Casa Particular so chose a full-scale hotel in old Havana.

We are staying in hotels, I am more comfortable with that, the Melia Cohiba for the two days before the cruise and the Hotel Naciaon for the two days after. We will just take taxis to Old Havana when we go but I liked the reviews on these hotels and any hotels in Old Havana were booked.

No excursions booked. We have been to Cuba many times and with our basic knowledge of the language hope to just tour ourselves around. I find the excursions a little restrictive in that you cannot spend as much time at places you are interested in. In Jamaica we will likely do an excursion as we do not know the island. Bob Marley here we come!!

At Toronto Pearson now waiting for my connecting flight home, but Day 1 is now FINALLY up!

http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2014/01/17/cuba-cruise-live-voyage-report-day-1/

The GoDaddy domain issue was fun to rectify at sea with spotty internet. Fortunately, the wi-fi began working on the last two days of the voyage. All the kinks should be worked out for those on the next cruise.

I did read a comment re: adapters. Each stateroom has one European-style outlet and one North American one. The hair dryer is attached to the desk in an odd way (bolted in) and rests in a drawer. It uses the European plug.

I brought a laptop, two cameras and an iPhone with me and never had problems swapping things out to charge them, but if you have a lot of devices, an adapter would be a wise thing to bring with you.

Hi all!

BLaliberte ~ it looks like insider1649 (Lynn) is boarding on Jan 24th

& you & jillybean55 are boarding on the 27th to me .I hope I get to meet you two after I board on the 31st.

Got to check if Aaron's posted another day. His reports are so interesting.

Have a nice day! Another snowy one here.

I am just finishing the last bit of packing, I have checked into our flight and printed a boarding pass. We are out the door tomorrow at 4 am.

First stop is Fort Lauderdale for 2 days. Then on to Montego Bay for 2 days before boarding our beautiful ship on Friday. Wow!!:D I will try to keep in touch while away. And for sure when I get back.

Thanks everyone

Lynn

Aaron, as the OP of this thread can I ask you to please write faster. Don't sleep. You don't need sleep - you've just had a great holiday!

Those of us who will be following in your footsteps need to be able to read your complete report about what seems to have been a fantastic cruise ASAP.

As a former journalist myself I have to say what a pleasure it is to read your thoughtful and incisive commentary. My one criticism of Cruise Critic (if one is allowed to criticise CC) is that so many contributors fall into the "loved it - hated" it categories whereas you simply tell it as it is -or was.

The fact that a person of your vast cruising experience fell in love with this voyage (at least from what I've read so far) makes me want 24 February, the day we embark, to arrive even sooner.

Of course, we don't yet know what happened days three to seven. Did it all go horribly wrong? Tune in .....

Edited by Balloon Man

You have no idea how often I actually don't get any sleep! :D

Thank you so much for your kind comments. Your assessment of CC mirrors my own; reviews seem to be the best thing ever or an awful voyage from h-e-l-l. I don't like trying to compare cruises to one another, because to me that's a recipe for disaster. I prefer to write about it, lay out my thoughts, and let people decide for themselves whether this is the right trip for them.

This really was the most surprising voyage I've taken in a long time. My expectations were, to be frank, rather low. Chartered voyages often have a way of letting standards slip. But these guys were running the ship in Cuba like they'd done it for decades, not just a handful of voyages. Everything was branded - even the logo on the funnel was the Cuba Cruise logo and not Louis Cruises. It was very impressive.

If you take Cuba for what it is and can appreciate some of the quirks of sailing on a comfortable mid-90's ship, you'll have a lovely time.

Aaron, as the OP of this thread can I ask you to please write faster. Don't sleep. You don't need sleep - you've just had a great holiday!

Those of us who will be following in your footsteps need to be able to read your complete report about what seems to have been a fantastic cruise ASAP.

As a former journalist myself I have to say what a pleasure it is to read your thoughtful and incisive commentary. My one criticism of Cruise Critic (if one is allowed to criticise CC) is that so many contributors fall into the "loved it - hated" it categories whereas you simply tell it as it is -or was.

The fact that a person of your vast cruising experience fell in love with this voyage (at least from what I've read so far) makes me want 24 February, the day we embark, to arrive even sooner.

Of course, we don't yet know what happened days three to seven. Did it all go horribly wrong? Tune in .....