My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Well, thanks for the tip about these shirts. I just ordered one for my husband. He was happy to find something other than his suit for a formal night. I hope its acceptable. I bought black thinking it would be the most formal. I think they really are quite smart looking.;)

It was better when one could tip in US dollars as a Canadian $5 is too much for most occasions IMO.

If the following is reasonably accurate, I think perhaps the Cuban gov't must find a way to get their hands on that tip money. Or maybe your next excursion guide could be Raul Castro or some other political bigwig.:D Only approved people would be allowed to make that kind of money. What we normally pay for a day's excursion would amount to a year's income. :eek:

The average citizen makes about 12.00 per month Doctors tend to make about 25.00 a month.

Does anyone know about the tourist visa mentioned in the tripadviser review? Do Canadians need one? I thought we just needed proof of medical insurance.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Yes, Canadians do. Talk to your travel agent. It is usually supplied by the airline.

Edited by DUHCAR

Does anyone know about the tourist visa mentioned in the tripadviser review? Do Canadians need one? I thought we just needed proof of medical insurance.

As I understand it the cost of the visa in included in your airfare if you are Canadian and flying into Cuba. You complete the form that is issued to you aboard the flight. It comes in two parts one of which will be returned to you at Cuban immigration. You will need to keep in a safe place as it is required at the point of exit from Cuba.

Logically then one would have to surrender this form when departing Cuba bound for Jamaica. To re-enter Cuba a new visa will be required. (I wrote the Cuban Tourist office in protest but to no avail) The queston I would add to yours is, will we at the time of sailing for Jamaica be charged the exit fee as done at airport departures?

Good morning to On y va ...... maybe we can connect - would be fun to meet you. We are also on the starboard side, obstructed view, on Deck 6.

When our agent originally booked this for us with Air Transat, she was told that we can book excursions through their office, or wait and do it on the ship. As hubby has some issues (very bad back, recent knee replacements), we thought it best to wait. We often just wander around near the cruise port taking in a few sights, or take a taxi ride around the area. Maybe we can meet up and do that together. Long bus treks on bumpy roads are not very inviting. It will just be nice to get away from the cold and snow for a week. :)

Til the 10th!!!!!!! Happy New Year!!!! Carolyn

Yesterday, headlines proclaimed that a passenger plane left Key West Florida and flew the 90 miles to Cuba, the first such flight to do so in 50 years. It has not as yet been established if this service will be allowed to continue. I bet the folks over at Air Canada are having a chuckle...

This cruise company just partnered with some educational institution in the U.S. which has a Cuba travel license and will allow U.S. citizens to legally book Cruise Cuba through them. If I recall, the itinerary includes 3 days in Havana listening to propaganda in addition to the cruise. The cost was something like $4,800 per person compared to about 800 Canadian dollars if you book only the cruise directly with Cruise Cuba. I am very interested in reading the reviews from folks who have taken the cruise although its unlikely many Americans will want to publicly admit to breaking U.S. law.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ a guy from one of my past cruises mentionned that flight. A few of them would really like to go to Cuba.

I wonder how we, who are boarding the ship in Montego Bay go about getting our Cuban visa, any ideas? Guess I should contact my TA about that.

doublebzz ~ yikes what a difference in the price!:eek:

insider1649 ~ where did you order your guayabera from please?

burm ~ the staff at resorts are probably making more than doctors with their tips! People also bring them clothes & other goodies. When my daughters & I went we each would leave something on the pillow every day as a gift for the maid, candy, tooth brushes, hair clips, skipping rope, gum that sort of little thing as well as money.

I'm telling you with the way winter's going I can hardly wait to get away

even if the weather will feel like 29 or 40 C!

Happy New Year!

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all! ...burm ~ the staff at resorts are probably making more than doctors with their tips! People also bring them clothes & other goodies. When my daughters & I went we each would leave something on the pillow every day as a gift for the maid, candy, tooth brushes, hair clips, skipping rope, gum that sort of little thing as well as money.

I'm pleased that you brought up this subject. I came across this article:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cuba:Caribbean:Think.Before.You.Gift.html regarding gifts and tipping. When I first visited Cuba in 1979 I brought along as many "gifts" as I could manage, Gillette blades being the wisest, by virtue of the appreciation. But this article has made me pause. As indicated, the people in tourist services are by far the richest of the population. A bit of a quandary.

I wonder how we, who are boarding the ship in Montego Bay go about getting our Cuban visa, any ideas?

Cuba Cruise will sell you the needed card on board, after we have left Jamaica on our way to Cuba. No worries man.

I'm pleased that you brought up this subject. I came across this article:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cuba:Caribbean:Think.Before.You.Gift.html regarding gifts and tipping. When I first visited Cuba in 1979 I brought along as many "gifts" as I could manage, Gillette blades being the wisest, by virtue of the appreciation. But this article has made me pause. As indicated, the people in tourist services are by far the richest of the population. A bit of a quandary.

In the past we have asked our family doctor for samples that he had gotten from pharm companies and took those to a local clinic there. Things like infant tylenol, etc.

HI all! ...insider1649 ~ where did you order your guayabera from please?

I certainly do not want to pay more for a guayabera than a tux... Some on line supplies are very expensive and do not ship to Canada. :(

Now I realize that this following bit will not aid those boarding at Jamaica but for general information I found this posted on the net regarding buying the guayabera:

1- Shop “El Quitrin” in Obispo bet Mercaderes and Sag Ignacio, Old Havana.

This is a shop where they have a very good selection made in Cuba (re; in fact the workshop is next to the shop). They also specialize in tailor making.

2- Shop “La Casa de La Guayabera” in O’Reilly & Tacon Streets, Old Havana. This one is kind of more commercial with some imported ones as well

Because we will be in Havana a couple of days before embarkation I think I will wait until I can shop there. It would be nice to say that my guayabera was made there. On the other hand, he who hesitates....:o

Hi all & welcome to 2014!! :D Sure hope it's a great year for all.

Thank you both for your help. ONT-CA that article was very informative &

will make me think about gift giving if I ever go back to an AI.

I noticed how expensive the g's were on line & the one I liked for DH was on back order. I guess we could take a look in Havana as that's the night it's needed right? I can't imagine my tall German DH wanting one but you never know.;)

DUHCAR ~ thanks for setting my mind at ease re the card.

Have a nice day.

~ Jo ~ :)

...I noticed how expensive the g's were on line & the one I liked for DH was on back order. I guess we could take a look in Havana as that's the night it's needed right? I can't imagine my tall German DH wanting one but you never know.;)

I meant to add this to my message but the brain still has not thawed out even with all of last night's "antifreeze" :p

http://ca.sale-fire.com/Guayaberas%20Shirts?p=scb&gclid=CKuDhZyh3bsCFa9cMgodpXEA2Q

Princes seem reasonable but quality unknown.

Good Morning and Happy New Year

I think everyone is getting excited about our trips.

Yes, I posed the question about the visa to Cuba Cruise staff. The answer is that we will be able to purchase it once onboard in Jamacia.

I ordered the Guayabera from http://www.casualtropicalwear.com in Fort Lauderdale. I did do a bit of research first and found out there are many Cuban/Americans there that make these. I am not sure if the one I got is made there (or maybe China:D). It was about $26.00 for the cotton one; a little more for linen and a little less for the cotton/poly. Many other great looking things too. I think they do ship to Canada but it is probably expensive. I had them ship mine to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale. We are stopping there for a couple of days on on way to Montego Bay.

We have booked with a guide in Havana that will take us to Vinales for the day in his 1957 Chey station wagon. I asked him about wht would be bet things to bring as gifts for the Cuban people. His response was

"Almost any thing will be ok, soaps, tooth paste, shampoo, kids clothes and so on are always very welcome, you give the stuffs to a church, or if you want to save time I can give to the people in my neighbourhood"

Insider 1649 did you just take a chance with the size of the Guayabera you ordered? Most times my husband is a L but sometimes an XL. We can have stuff shipped to a postal box just across the border and that works really well.

Do you mind sharing what kind of price you've been quoted for your Vinales trip? We will be in Havana for 3 days prior to the ship leaving so we were thinking about going to Vinales one of those days.

This is the email I received from Pototo, the guide. He comes highly recommended on Trip Advisor and other travel sights. Note: He is okay with there just being two of us and the pricing is a little higher but still great prices for what I hope will be a beautiful day trip.

We would be happy to share our ride with anyone going to be in Havana on January 27.

Dear Lynn

Thanks very much for your email

Yes we offer such turs in an old American car (1957 chevrolet station wagon)

The tours include:

- Transfer to and from Vinales

- Visit to a small tobacco farm

- Vist to the orquid garden in Soroa

- Visit to the Indian cave, ride in a boat inside the cave

- Lunch in a private restaurant (drinks are not included)

We use to do this tour with a Minimum of 5 people in the group, and cost is

75 CUC per person

Will be waiting for your next email

Warm regards from Havana Cuba

Pototo

Pototo Tourist Services

Calle San Francisco # 214

Between Neptuno and Concordia

Centro Habana

Cuba

Phone: (+53) 7 878 5973

Cell: (+53) 5 291 0643

http://www.pototocuba.com

Sorry Love to quilt, I missed your other question.

Yes, I just guessed at my husbands size. He was M forever until he quit smoking six months ago. Now, after Christmas, it's all a guess anyway.:)

I got a L. I think looser will be better than tighter. Especially on a cruise.

Thanks Insider 1649. I see we both live in Vancouver. We are actually in Coquitlam. Too bad we won't be on the same cruise. I did see Potato on Trip Advisor but for no special reason we have planned our side trips with Jorge who is also talked about on Trip advisor.

There are more posting on Trip Advisor today saying how impressed people have been with the trip.

No, not in Vancouver but the OKanagan Valley, north of Kelowna. Love Vancouver though; when we get the urge to see the big city but then only in small doses.

I do remember reading about Jorge as well. Is his day trip and pricing similar to Pototo's?

I know I was happy to find someone privately. I am sure they appreciate the business.:)

Just received an offer from yourcubacruise.com for our Cuba Cruise (although why I am not sure for we are booked) but they are now offering upgrades for bookings made in January. Inside upgraded up to outside, outside upgraded to Delux. Anyone else get this advertisement?

Much excellent information about the cruises so far now on Trip Advisor Cuba Travel Forum "New Way to Cruise Cuba". Set it so you read latest first as it contains quite a lot of historic pre-cruise stuff.

Seems the food is good, drinks are reasonable and excursions well organised. Even the weather has been nice!