My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi Love to Quilt - There doesn't appear to be a roll call for your departure date. You can start one by going to ROLL CALLS/All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls and clicking on the blue button "New Thread" at the top of the page. Just be sure to add the date to the title. Hope this helps. Lynn

The Luis Cristal is currently moored at the docks at Keratsini (Athens) having arrived on the 14th from an island tour. Not sure what her next sailing will be but the ship can be tracked through a site on Google under Luis Cristal Ship Tracker. I don’t think I am alone in wishing to see it positioned half way across the Atlantic.

As to your Roll Call, Love To Quilt, I will start one up for February 10th for you to post.

In assisting a neighbour in choosing a possible booking for this cruise we came upon a bit of a phenomenon that I have not seen before. There are some cabins that are comprised of two double beds and therefore can accommodate four persons such as this XE. But the surprising thing was that guests three and four travel for approximately half the fare of the original two. We have never seen a pricing structure set out like that before. FYI.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/catxe-1.jpg

Hi all!

I'm back from my 2 cruises on mega ships so looking forward to this size boat.

Welcome to the new people!:D

That tracking site is good, thanks. Less than a month now 'til the first cruise departs.

They sure are pushing this cruise now. I had an email today re a good deal from Air Transat offering airfare, $300 OBC & a drink package. Wonder if

it would be worthwhile to cancel & rebook?!:confused:

The cabin count seems to have changed since I last checked with more being available now. I wonder what that's about?

Anyhow all we can do is wait & see what happens. Sure hope it's a go & the Cristal is soon on our side of the pond.

~ Jo ~ :)

I think the increased availability comes with final payment. At that time some cancel. I am interested for 2015, does anyone know which site can allow me to do a dummy booking to get an idea of costs? Does anyone know how costs compare to say, Princess? Looks to me like the ship does not have balconies..Is that correct?

I think the increased availability comes with final payment. At that time some cancel. I am interested for 2015, does anyone know which site can allow me to do a dummy booking to get an idea of costs? Does anyone know how costs compare to say, Princess? Looks to me like the ship does not have balconies..Is that correct?

http://www.yourcubacruise.com

There are about 10 cabins with balconies. Eight of these are pretty small balconies, but that's all I need. They are called cabin class SB.

Perhaps all did receive the advertisement notification from Transat Holidays with their offer of our cruise including air transportation to Valadero and transfer to Havana with a $300 on board credit and a mini free drink package. My first reaction was, why didn't we wait before booking. But then we know that we would not have been able to have the cabin we wanted and have. Nevertheless, at these prices and with these deals the ship should fully book now for sure.

If you go to http://www.yourcubacruise.com/ and click on "dates and prices" you will see the variety available. The SI suite category is by far there largest unit for which there are but two. But this "balcony" (and the site will show you photos) is almost half a deck. And as to price I think you will find that it is very much lower than a suite aboard your example of Princess and almost equal to their highest category balcony price.

Hi again!

Martha ~ 1st time I've ever been called a guinea pig, lol! What if it's only offered in 2014?

I did ask my TA about cancelling & rebooking but she advised that I'm better off with what I have as what are being offered are "guarantee" cabins. I like to choose my cabin location/type. The flight also leaves the day of the cruise which is a no-no for an Ontario resident in winter.

Ciao

Hi again!

Martha ~ 1st time I've ever been called a guinea pig, lol! What if it's only offered in 2014?

I did ask my TA about cancelling & rebooking but she advised that I'm better off with what I have as what are being offered are "guarantee" cabins. I like to choose my cabin location/type. The flight also leaves the day of the cruise which is a no-no for an Ontario resident in winter.

Ciao

If its only offered in 2014 we will be VERY disappointed. We have been committed to our Feb Cruise too long to back out. But I am definitely going to book for 2015 unless everyone here tells me not to.:D

Thank you for this. I have been watching the activities of the Cristal via the ship locator. They had her out into the Mediterranean for a trial run, eventually returning her to dock. Now that I know her sailing date I'll check in on her crossing.

Because so much about this cruise is new to us we find little discrepancies here and there. Arriving in Havana to board the cruise it will be necessary to purchase a Cuban entry card, as must all visitors. However, once our ship sails and reaches Jamaica, it will be necessary for the Havana embarking passengers to again purchase a new entry card. In essence those boarding in Jamaica will pay once, we who board in Havana will pay twice. It's no deal breaker but something that the Cuban government should look at for it is unfair especially to pre cruise tourists who will be spending time and money in their capital.

Edited by ONT-CA

Because so much about this cruise is new to us we find little discrepancies here and there. Arriving in Havana to board the cruise it will be necessary to purchase a Cuban entry card, as must all visitors. However, once our ship sails and reaches Jamaica, it will be necessary for the Havana embarking passengers to again purchase a new entry card. In essence those boarding in Jamaica will pay once, we who board in Havana will pay twice. It's no deal breaker but something that the Cuban government should look at for it is unfair especially to pre cruise tourists who will be spending time and money in their capital.

The Tourist Card is good for at least 30 days (could be more depending on your citizenship). And you pay a departure tax when you fly out.

So may be there isn't a problem¿

Edited by DUHCAR

The Tourist Card is good for at least 30 days (could be more depending on your citizenship). And you pay a departure tax when you fly out.

So may be there isn't a problem¿

I am basing my statement on the following of "Frequently Asked Questions" As I say, no big deal breaker.

Once I return to Cuba after visiting Jamaica will I need to purchase an addition tourist card?

Yes, all passengers arriving to Cuba from Montego Bay, Jamaica will have to buy a tourist card, even if they had one before visiting Jamaica. Tourist cards will be

available for purchase on the ship and/or on arrival at Cienfuegos. Cost is approximately $30 CAD, and can be paid in cash or your shipboard account.

Edited by ONT-CA

Bummer. Yes, it looks like the tourist card is single entry only, so we'll have to buy another one on board.

But it is worth it to me to be able to start and end the cruise in Habana.

I am basing my statement on the following of "Frequently Asked Questions" As I say, no big deal breaker.

Once I return to Cuba after visiting Jamaica will I need to purchase an addition tourist card?

Yes, all passengers arriving to Cuba from Montego Bay, Jamaica will have to buy a tourist card, even if they had one before visiting Jamaica. Tourist cards will be

available for purchase on the ship and/or on arrival at Cienfuegos. Cost is approximately $30 CAD, and can be paid in cash or your shipboard account.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ thanks for the info! Wish I were headed to Palma, it's mighty chilly here in Prince Edward County!;)

I noticed in the TV guide part of the Sat. Toronto Star there's a full page ad for the Cuba cruise.

Have a great week, every day brings us closer to our Cuba cruise!

Watching the progress of the Luis Crista traversing the Mediterranean reminded me of an old expression my parents used when we were kids. Their reply to our wants and wishes was often only "...when our ship comes in."

LOL! My Mom used the same quote. We had a view of the water and the freighters coming into Vancouver harbour when I was a kid so I was always asking my Mom which was her ship. When she got tired of my questions she finally told me her ship must have sank.

Edited by Love to quilt