My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

We seldom go to Kingston, only for a Red Lobster fix usually & haven't even done that since January. I have taken the Kawartha Voyager cruise twice from Kingston & really liked it.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~:)

Travelled to Picton on many occasions especially for the Glenbridge Restaurant. But alas it is no longer there. Must look into the Kawartha Voyager Cruises. Thanks

Hi all. I posted in another thread but this one seems to be more current.

We just booked for a Feb 24 2014 out of Habana. Will probably spend two nights before and after.

Managed to get an SB suite and it looks like they are now gone.

Looking forward to seeing parts of Cuba that we haven't seen yet. Ship and crew sound fine. As long as one doesn't expect greatness, one should be fine.

Hope some Americans figure out that they can fly to Jamaica and board the cruise. Yourcubacruise dot com deserves kudos in getting this going.

My wife is of Cuban descent and would absolutely love to do this cruise. I am still thinking it's not possible for Americans to go. I looked through the site and tried to set up a booking and where you would enter your passport information it is not possible to select your citizenship as USA. Many other countries are on the drop down list but USA isn't one of them. Looks like we will be waiting a few more years for the US to lighten the travel restrictions there.

I know there are ways that my wife could technically visit Cuba, I'm not so sure about me travelling with her and if that is allowed. Although, most (if not all) of her family left Cuba in the 1960s and 70s for either the USA or South America. I'm not sure she'd be able to visit without a known relative who is still living there...legally anyway.

Edited by WillWorkForCruise121

My wife is of Cuban descent and would absolutely love to do this cruise. I am still thinking it's not possible for Americans to go. I looked through the site and tried to set up a booking and where you would enter your passport information it is not possible to select your citizenship as USA. Many other countries are on the drop down list but USA isn't one of them. Looks like we will be waiting a few more years for the US to lighten the travel restrictions there.

I know there are ways that my wife could technically visit Cuba, I'm not so sure about me travelling with her and if that is allowed. Although, most (if not all) of her family left Cuba in the 1960s and 70s for either the USA or South America. I'm not sure she'd be able to visit without a known relative who is still living there...legally anyway.

I'd phone the cruise company in Calgary and see what they say about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Well, I've been lurking out here for several months now. From the number of views of this thread, I am not the only one! Certainly, there appears to be quite a lot of interest in these cruises; we have been hoping for something just like this to happen for many years now. Looking at the website and monitoring how many cabins are remaining in each category for various dates, it does appear that the booking is definitely happening, particularly later in the cruise dates.

Our situation is such that the first cruise on December 16th would be the best date for us. Does anyone have a comment on how iffy it might be to take the first one, where they might be still working out any problems, either with organization on the ship or the arrivals and departures from the various ports?

Regards,

Barbara

HI all!

Barbara ~ that's a good question! I'd be a bit concerned about going on the 1st one but then I'm a worrywart. If it's the only date that works for you

& you really want to take this cruise then you'll just have to go for it & hope for the best.

We've been looking for a cruise like this for years too & were disappointed that the company trying to do it a couple of years ago didn't manage. There seems to be a lot of interest in this cruise & Louis cruises does have experience just not over here.

WillWorkForCruise121 ~ were you able to find out anymore about whether

you & DW can go?

Anybody got any idea of what shore excursions they'll take?

Have a nice week!

~ Jo ~ :)

One would think that Louis Cristal's know-how would be no different sailing around Cuba than their Mediterranean itineraries. Food we are told will be based on Canadian fare with Alberta beef highlights so that's not a concern. The first sailing would be more secure in the public's mind if we were to know the original sailing details from Greece. Now there would be a cruise, commencing with the Med., a trans Atlantic and arriving and spending the finale around Cuba. But we are unable to ascertain the original sailing. As to excursions we are a little concerned at the descriptions of "good footwear" and "comfortable walking shoes". How strenuous they will be is unknown and we await any and all comments from those who will preced us in December and January. Perhaps private tours will be available for those of us who are as fit as a fiddlehead...

One would think that Louis Cristal's know-how would be no different sailing around Cuba than their Mediterranean itineraries.

Is Louis lines running the cruise or is the CDN company leasing the ships from Louis??

Is Louis lines running the cruise or is the CDN company leasing the ships from Louis??

Our understanding is that Louis has become an intricate part of these planned cruises around Cuba although in what capacity we do not know. Their logo now appears as part of the site. But it would seem that regardless of who charters a vessel in this manner, the sailing company's operations would remain according to their corporate policy. The exceptions would be the choice of entertainment and cuisine.

I had thought this was a straight charter. There is nothing on the Louis Cruises web site that relates to Cuba. However within the Cuba Cruise terms and conditions it says: "Your contract with Cuba Cruise is governed by and is to be construed in accordance with the laws of Greece applicable therein. Further, any claim or action arising out of or relating to your vacation may be filed only in the courts of Greece and you agree to attorn to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts." And the registered office of the company is: Cubacruise Limited, 11 Limassol Avenue, 2112 Nicosia, Cyprus, Represented in Canada by: Cuba Cruise Inc., 300, 840 - 6 Avenue S.W., Calgary, Alberta T2P 3E5.

I don't believe this should be a cause for concern. Louis is a large and well established Greek shipping company; indeed it gives me some comfort to know they have involvement.

HI all!

I've just been reading "Berlitz Cruising & Cruise Ship 2012" & Cristal is rated 3 star with a score of 1236 out of 2000. Seems like they make a LOT of their own breads, soups, pates, jams etc on board from scratch.

The ship does have quite a past so I hope the journey across the pond goes well!:o

We're really looking forward to this cruise & going on a smaller ship which sounds similar to the Triton which we did in 1992.

I can't imagine we'll do many of their shore excursions since we've been to Havana, Santiago de Cuba & Pinar del Rio. They seem quite long & pricy.

ONT-CA ~ I'm not positive but I think one of the guys from The Glenbridge is involved in Portabella, a lovely restaurant on Main St.

Have a nice weekend.

I had thought this was a straight charter. There is nothing on the Louis Cruises web site that relates to Cuba.

We just found this site which spells out he Cuba itinerary.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/8621-louis-cristal-to-cuba-winter-20132014.html

Still nothing on how they are to sail to the Caribbean or their plans for the trip home.

ONT-CA ~ I'm not positive but I think one of the guys from The Glenbridge is involved in Portabella, a lovely restaurant on Main St.

Have a nice weekend.

Yes, thank you, have enjoyed the Portabella several times but nothing can replace an evening of dining at the Glebridge with live piano accompanimet. An era gone, I'm afraid.

Reading all your posts with interest. Just attended a Air Transat winter 2013-14 dinner and presentation. They are the tour operator that is selling the Cuba Cruises. Met the rep from CubaCruises as well, spoke to her briefly, will find out if I've been accepted for a Travel Agent FAM trip this fall. :D

They tried to launch the Cuba cruise back in 2011, but ended up shelfing it for 2 years.

For some reason that the Vision of the Seas type ship enters my mind when describing the ship. Smaller ship 960 passengers, refrubed in 2008.

Will post more info when I hear more about the cruise itself.

Hi all!

Laurnat ~ thanks for the info & good luck on getting to sail around Cuba too!

Did the tour operator give any indication of how the ship's selling or when it's actually sailing to Cuba?

In just 5 months I'll hopefullyl be sailing on the Louis Cristal. I can't wait!

Hi all!

Did the tour operator give any indication of how the ship's selling

Hello retiring soon,

I have been checking on how it seems to be selling for the various sailings by checking the website at http://www.yourcubacruise.com/booking/CategoryInput.aspx as there is a listing of cabin availability there. I must say it does seem to be moving as some of the sailings are down to six or seven categories. Of course, there may be someone adjusting these to make it appear so.

Barbara

Hello retiring soon,

I have been checking on how it seems to be selling for the various sailings by checking the website at http://www.yourcubacruise.com/booking/CategoryInput.aspx as there is a listing of cabin availability there. I must say it does seem to be moving as some of the sailings are down to six or seven categories. Of course, there may be someone adjusting these to make it appear so.

Barbara

From what we are hearing, we can expect a good representation of German passengers aboard and most probably many other Europeans as well. Can you please advise how we go about signing up for:

http://www.yourcubacruise.com/booking/CategoryInput.aspx

as other than the login command there is no means to register.

Thanks

Hello ONT-CA,

I didn't "register" for anything to find this information. I just followed the web pages through as if I were making a booking. The availability shows up after you have gone through a few steps. I suspect that one would not "register" until a booking was actually made. Does this help?

Barbara

Hello ONT-CA, ... The availability shows up after you have gone through a few steps. I suspect that one would not "register" until a booking was actually made. Does this help?

Barbara

Yes, thank you, I now have it. We are a little anxious with this booking having made it in March of this year with full payment. But this new venture will have its growing pains I guess. Glad to find that our suite is shown as booked for our dates... And we are pleased to see the bookings made to date. Thanks again for your assistance

HI all!

Balloon Man ~ will you still post here too for us that don't have one?

This morning I checked the remaining cabins on the 1st cruise & there are 77 left out of the whole ship. When I'm feeling more ambitious I'll add up the total cabins to see but it does sound good!