My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi all!

Thanks Balloon Man, I'll be lurking on your roll call too!;)

bjm07 ~ did you book yet? You're our best chance of getting a review before we sail. If my memory's correct I'm next but not going until Jan 31. I would have liked to go in Feb but didn't want to renew my passport months early to do so.

Just Googled how many cabins on Cristal & the breakdown is: 10 balcony, 307 ocean view, 163 inside for a total of 480. 77 still available for the 1st sailing doesn't seem too bad to me 3 months out, what do you all think?

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

bjm07 ~ did you book yet? You're our best chance of getting a review before we sail. If my memory's correct I'm next but not going until Jan 31. I would have liked to go in Feb but didn't want to renew my passport months early to do so.

Just Googled how many cabins on Cristal & the breakdown is: 10 balcony, 307 ocean view, 163 inside for a total of 480. 77 still available for the 1st sailing doesn't seem too bad to me 3 months out, what do you all think?

Hello All,

retiring soon: No, we can't book until more (of the future - crystal ball required here) is known. Perhaps in October but more likely in November we'll know if we can go. Yes, I know you are all waiting to hear. We also would have to renew the passports early - four months is not six months. We should be so lucky to have passports valid for 10 years! But luckily it doesn't take too long to get them.

And, yes, I was impressed with how many of the cabins have sold already. It really does look promising. And, some of the cruises later than what we are looking at are sold even more than that first cruise.

I am wondering if any of you have sailed with Louis previously. The reviews that I have read of their Med cruises claim that the food is really quite good.

Keeping our fingers crossed... because I'd just love this itinerary.

Regards,

Barbara

Hello All,

We also would have to renew the passports early - four months is not six months. We should be so lucky to have passports valid for 10 years! But luckily it doesn't take too long to get them.

The 10 yr passports just came out in July for Canadian citizens renewing a couple months early should not hold you back ;)

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=eng

The 10 yr passports just came out in July for Canadian citizens renewing a couple months early should not hold you back ;)

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=eng

LHT28!! Thank you so much for the good news. Too bad they didn't come last year when we paid the entry fee for Chile; but better late than never.

Thanks for sharing this good news.

Regards,

Barbara

LHT28!! Thank you so much for the good news. Too bad they didn't come last year when we paid the entry fee for Chile; but better late than never.

Thanks for sharing this good news.

Regards,

Barbara

I had to renew ours last year so missed out also

Lyn

Hi all!

I was just going to say that a FB friend in BC posted that the passports are now $160 for 10 years. Oh well I'm booked for Jan 31 so will renew after that cruise & before expiry in August.

Barbara ~ my fingers are crossed!;) Sure hope you are able to fit the cruise into your plans as who knows if it'll be an annual event. I've never sailed Louis but look forward to trying a smaller ship after the large ones I've been sailing lately.

Have a nice weekend!

. I've never sailed Louis but look forward to trying a smaller ship after the large ones I've been sailing lately.

Have a nice weekend!

Couldn’t agree more. Loved sailing ships like the Sky, Regal, Royal (old), Nautica and Regatta. When one realizes that the current launches hold the equivalent of the entire population of Picton who wants to get aboard. The Louis Cristal is about the right size. It has been given only three stars but then there are some of those floating subdivisions that I would give less. I want to feel that I’m on a ship not in a horizontal skyscraper.

Hi all!

ONT-CA ~ yes that's what I thought of when I was on Oasis, there are more people here than in the Town of Picton (4000)!!

We did a drive up the Rideau Friday to Westport, Perth, Smith Falls & Merrickville, some places I'd been to on the tiny Kawartha Voyager cruise.

It was very nice & we really liked Perth. Ended up at Red Lobster in Kingston where we were disappointed with the meal there for the 1st time ever.:(

I checked out my cruise date & the 1st cruise & see the 1st one has sold a lot more cabins than mine!! Sure hope it'll be a go as I've already booked the flights!

Have a nice day!

We did a drive up the Rideau Friday to Westport, Perth, Smith Falls & Merrickville, some places I'd been to on the tiny Kawartha Voyager cruise.

Did you like the Kawartha Voyager cruise ??

We looked at them but did not like the idea of communal showers ;)

We enjoyed the Canadian Empress cruise though ..food was not the best but met lots on nice people

Lyn

Hi all!

Balloon Man ~ poor choice of name back in 2006 as I retired in Feb. 2007 & am loving it! I didn't want to change my name tho'.:o

Lyn ~ I really enjoyed the KW cruise. My DD worked on it right after she graduated from "Restaurant & Hotel Mgmt" so we got to go onboard when they docked in Picton once & enjoy a meal with her. I have taken the Kingston to Ottawa & Kingston to Peterborough sections & am trying to fit the Peterborough to Big Chute in sometime. I had the tiny (50 sq ft:eek:) solo cabin both times & was also leary of the down the hall showers but they were spacious & I never met another person when I went there.

The food on KW is farm type food & quite yummy. With the 3 snacks a day

& nibbles at the bar I managed to put on 5 lbs in 5 days!!

If they put on a presentation at a hotel near you you should check them out.

Hi all!

Balloon Man ~ poor choice of name back in 2006 as I retired in Feb. 2007 & am loving it! I didn't want to change my name tho'.:o

Lyn ~ I really enjoyed the KW cruise. My DD worked on it right after she graduated from "Restaurant & Hotel Mgmt" so we got to go onboard when they docked in Picton once & enjoy a meal with her. I have taken the Kingston to Ottawa & Kingston to Peterborough sections & am trying to fit the Peterborough to Big Chute in sometime. I had the tiny (50 sq ft:eek:) solo cabin both times & was also leary of the down the hall showers but they were spacious & I never met another person when I went there.

The food on KW is farm type food & quite yummy. With the 3 snacks a day

& nibbles at the bar I managed to put on 5 lbs in 5 days!!

If they put on a presentation at a hotel near you you should check them out.

Thanks I did not know they did presentations ..will check the website

Lyn

Hi again !

ONT-CA - I'm behind on my magazine reading so just discovered a blurb on the travel page of the May "Fifty Five Plus", Kingston Quinte edition. It said there'll be an Alberta Steakhouse inboard.

Jo

From the beginning of the cruise proposals mention was made that they will be using Albertan beef exclusivley. But I did not realize that they meant in the Caruso restaurant. This is good news. A quick view of the restaurant in included in this video.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ thanks for the link to the video. Wow some snarky comments after it but it looks great to me. As long as there's a place to rest your head, enough to eat & drink I'm fine.;) Of course beautiful scenery counts too!

I even liked the Viking ad leading into the video.

Today when I was clicking on a site I do every day a little ad for the cruise came up. Funny how that happens, guess they track you as when I was looking for a hotel in NYC those ads came up.

I'm excited to take this cruise!:D

After thirty some cruises and becoming somewhat jaded, I am really looking forward to this cruise. The evolution of the cruise industry has not in my estimation been all that positive. So when I read that posting from one who has actually sailed the Cristal, "Welcome to the 1980's", I mentally responded, WITH PLEASURE.

HI all!

John ~ nice to see where you'll be staying eh? That was a great video showing a lot of the ship. I also watched "My Big Fat Greek Cruise" but that was more about the ports.

Today a CC friend gets off the Diamond Princess & Balloon Man gets on for his long cruise. I'll have to follow along on sea scanner.

ONT-CA ~ I'm looking forward to this cruise experience too, nothing wrong with the 80's IMO. I'm thinking of going to "Rocklands Bird Sanctuary" while in Montego Bay, anybody been there? I love watching the Hummingbirds here which are very active these days as I think they're getting ready to fly south.

Have a nice weekend!

Hi all!

Wow I was checking out Balloon Man's cruise. I didn't realize he was doing Alaska before heading across the Pacific, very nice.

I'm really looking forward to my AK cruise next year. I went in May 2010 so now will try Aug. to see the difference, also X vs HAL, balcony vs inside, San Francisco vs Seattle so lots of variables.

Have a great week!

Balloon Man

You are not alone in your interest in the Louis Cristal cruise around Cuba. My husband and I are looking at early next year. We have done a land tour in Cuba and wish to return to see other parts of the island. Sounds like it may be basic, but deliver the itinerary we are interested in.

Balloon Man

You are not alone in your interest in the Louis Cristal cruise around Cuba. My husband and I are looking at early next year. We have done a land tour in Cuba and wish to return to see other parts of the island. Sounds like it may be basic, but deliver the itinerary we are interested in.

Yeah, that's why we are doing it too.

Balloon Man

Escaping the Canadian winter climate is part of our objective as is this introduction to a different cruise line. But we couldn't agree more about the locales and the itinerary. And to disembark the ship and find something other than International Diamonds, Duty Free Stores, Tax Free Shops and being attacked by a horde of taxi drivers with "the best tours" will be a welcomed change.