My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

HI all!

Glad to see some activity on this thread! Thanks kahlolin for coming back with this info. Are you flying in the day before the cruise & staying at a hotel?

We definitely want to go but prefer from Havana. Don't know whether to book directly, through my TA or another company that advertises an all inclusive package but wants full payment right away. Flights look awfully expensive & scarce to Havana... decisions, decisions!

~ Jo ~ :)

...It would be fun if all of us thinking about booking would book the same departure date.

Our bookings are for February 10th and again on the 17th. We wish we knew just how well the overall bookings were going. Our intent is to have a few days in Havana pre cruise (and a day after from what I now understand) for boarding in Jamaica would then give us but one day in Havana which of course is a major point of interest.

I would be nervous about paying in full this far in advance

I see the cruiseline has the option of paying a deposit then the balance at 120 days or pay in full when you book

I would make sure your booking is made through an Ontario TA a member of TICO

JMO

Maybe look into flying on a charter flight to Varadaro if you cannot get the dates you want to Havana then get transport to the port ...just an option

Edited by LHT28

Yes, LHT28, we were a little over zealous in our paying up front but we wanted the SI so badly that we went along with full payment. However when Louis Crystal entered into this cruise deal we felt more secure.

One problem in obtaining a chartered flight is the fact that we will enter the country and then not exit for at least 17-18 days whereas most group tours fly in and out in seven. But tour people are now looking at this anomaly for us. We'll remember this booking for some time to come...

Yes, LHT28, we were a little over zealous in our paying up front but we wanted the SI so badly that we went along with full payment. However when Louis Crystal entered into this cruise deal we felt more secure.

One problem in obtaining a chartered flight is the fact that we will enter the country and then not exit for at least 17-18 days whereas most group tours fly in and out in seven. But tour people are now looking at this anomaly for us. We'll remember this booking for some time to come...

some tour Operators will offer charter flight only

We did a package vacation & were there 10 or 11 days ..(it was awhile ago though)

It is getting the flights to corespond with the cruise that is the big problem..ok if you spend a few days either side of the cruise

It looks like an interesting cruise

Enjoy

Lyn

Me again ........ Air Transat flies only into Montego Bay at present - we will fly out early the morning of the cruise from Toronto - $7 pp for transfer to the ship. We just paid a deposit to the airline and one for the cruise. We liked what Air Transat had to offer, having done a cruise package with them previously. We feel confident, as we always book through our trusted TA (a TICO company) and she has never steered us wrong in nearly 10 years of cruising booked through her company. We have cruised with 5 major cruise lines since the 80's and are looking forward to this as an interesting alternative. We expect it will be similar to cruising on the Triton and the Bolero, which we did in the 90's ......... laid back and casual. It will be a nice experience and the opportunity to see a country which is not available to many folks - a change from the usual - although we also love "the usual"!!!!! :)

Thanks for the welcome, "Balloon Man" - we are booked on the Jan. 10 cruise, boarding in Montego Bay. We were told that we need to carry proof of medical travel insurance, and will have to pay $25.00 each - an "entry fee" so to speak, for Cuba. We do not fill out any any online forms, and just show your passports at the dock to board the ship. With Air Transat, transfer to the dock, and return to the airport on Jan. 17 is $7 p.p. The airline provides a full package, and we can even book our shore excursions through them.

Now that all this work is done, I am really looking forward to this cruise. I welcome any more info. anyone has to offer. ;)

Hi all!

We just booked the cruise today through my TA. We're going Jan. 31

from Montego Bay. There looked to be more flights to MBJ than to Havana, I just have to find one at a good price.;)

kahlolin ~ we looked at the AT package but didn't like the early flight or more expensive than we want to pay pre cruise hotel. We've been to Havana before so the one long day will have to do. We too have been on Triton (in 1992) & I figure this ship will be similar to it. I hope they have a Greek night!

ONT-CA ~ we would usually go the 1st week you're cruising but our passports expire mid Aug so wouldn't conform to the 6 months after the trip rule & I don't want to renew early.:o

Looking forward to chatting here as I don't imagine there'll be a roll call.

...she got us prices for the whole fly and cruise package from Air Transat (flies into Montego Bay, which suits us) and we are able to get the stateroom of our choice...the whole Cuba cruise is Cad. $'s...

Really good to read all the information provided. Thanks to you and the other folks posting. We are thinking about March. Booking everything through AT is a good idea. Have been on the Air Transat website but cannot locate the Cuba cruise package information. Any pointers? Thanks...

AT is probably doing the air for the other couple. Hola Sun offfers a package, if that is what you are looking for.

We just did it ourselves as we wanted more time in Havana than just a day.

If you want to fly into Havana from Toronto, then Air Canada is about the only game in town....

HI all!

Crown Vic ~ I just booked my air with A/C Rouge to MBJ @$629, $100/pp less than what my TA quoted me on the AT package breakdown. I also like the A/C departure time of 9:10 am better than the 6:15 am AT offered.

I'm not an early riser plus usually you can't get into the hotel much earlier than 3:00 pm anyways.

We'll all be back with our great reviews before you go.;)

Hello Crown Vi ............ I read on this board that Air Transat was partnered with this cruise company and asked our TA to call them ............... they had all the information, we booked everything, they even offered to book the shore excursions and drink packages. We decided that it was easiest for us to do everything through them - flights, cruise, transfers. I did find the Cuba cruise info when I searched their website once, but couldn't find it the next time I looked. But their agents do have all the information.

Hope this helps you ........ at the time, their site offered flights to Varadero and Montego Bay, but the agent said they aren't doing the Cuba flight, just Montego Bay.

The yourcubacruise website shows the last available sailing as March 24. Anyone know if that will definitely be the end of this itinerary? We'd love to do it, but not until summer 2014.

I'm pretty sure that's it. I think that the Cdn group has chartered this boat for the season, and afterwards it will go back to its regular sailings around Greece and the Med.

The bookings for Cuba have turned out to be an interesting adventure in travel. When we first heard of this possible cruise we were very eager and booked immediately. That was back in March where our eagerness brought about a demand for full payment. Because we wanted to do a b2b for a 14-day cruise we thought that the travel arrangements might be a problem with the Cuban government. As it turned out there is no such problem but there certainly has been with Cuba Cruises.

Since April we have been shown on line, incorrectly, as having cancelled one segment of our cruise. Cuban Cruise insisted that there is a computer glitch and we had nothing to worry about in that our 14-day cruise is confirmed. They said they would have the glitch corrected soon thereafter. Here it is in August and the glitch remains. They assure us all is well but certainly not in our eyes.

Because it is necessary to first get to Cuba to board the ship, we wanted to know what proposal they had for us in this matter. Cuba Cruises, after months of delays finally directed us to a travel system that handles bookings of this nature. We waited and waited for over a month and after much cajoling finally we received a proposed booking from them. The travel dates that are incorrect and for flights and accommodations that are so ridiculous that we would have had to spend an overnight stopover in Mexico en route to Havana.

At this rate we really do wonder if we will be able to experience a cruise at all. We will abandon the flight and hotel suggestions and contact Air Canada directly for the transportation to Havana and who can also book our hotel requirements. This is not inexpensive by any means but at this point what is the alternative?

We are told that this is the third attempt at putting together a cruise around Cuba, the previous attempts resulting in failure. We are eager in wishing the group well in this endeavor but they must realize that they are dealing with people, passengers who need to be assured that everything is as stipulated and paid for. We sincerely do not have this assurance. And any possible alternate winter 2014 travel plans become less and less tangible as we await the outcome of this Cuba booking

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ yikes sorry to hear of your dilemna!:eek: That must be so frustrating! I hope it all works out okay. We decided to start at Montego Bay as starting in Havana seemed too difficult. We have been to Havana before so the long day will be enough for us.

I don't know where I read this but the cruise is being promoted in Germany, Brazil & Norway I believe it is, so here's hoping it's a go this time!!

Did anyone happen to catch the show "Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Cuba" on the Travel Channel?

It was really good & covered lots of places & things in Cuba.

Fingers crossed this cruise sails!

The bookings for Cuba have turned out to be an interesting adventure in travel. When we first heard of this possible cruise we were very eager and booked immediately. That was back in March where our eagerness brought about a demand for full payment. Because we wanted to do a b2b for a 14-day cruise we thought that the travel arrangements might be a problem with the Cuban government. As it turned out there is no such problem but there certainly has been with Cuba Cruises.

Since April we have been shown on line, incorrectly, as having cancelled one segment of our cruise. Cuban Cruise insisted that there is a computer glitch and we had nothing to worry about in that our 14-day cruise is confirmed. They said they would have the glitch corrected soon thereafter. Here it is in August and the glitch remains. They assure us all is well but certainly not in our eyes.

Because it is necessary to first get to Cuba to board the ship, we wanted to know what proposal they had for us in this matter. Cuba Cruises, after months of delays finally directed us to a travel system that handles bookings of this nature. We waited and waited for over a month and after much cajoling finally we received a proposed booking from them. The travel dates that are incorrect and for flights and accommodations that are so ridiculous that we would have had to spend an overnight stopover in Mexico en route to Havana.

At this rate we really do wonder if we will be able to experience a cruise at all. We will abandon the flight and hotel suggestions and contact Air Canada directly for the transportation to Havana and who can also book our hotel requirements. This is not inexpensive by any means but at this point what is the alternative?

We are told that this is the third attempt at putting together a cruise around Cuba, the previous attempts resulting in failure. We are eager in wishing the group well in this endeavor but they must realize that they are dealing with people, passengers who need to be assured that everything is as stipulated and paid for. We sincerely do not have this assurance. And any possible alternate winter 2014 travel plans become less and less tangible as we await the outcome of this Cuba booking

Yes, yourcubacruise really is all about the cruise -- hotel and flights are to be arranged separately, either through a TA or on your own.

Hope some Americans figure out that they can fly to Jamaica and board the cruise.

Americans, unless of direct Cuban descent, are not allowed to visit Cuba no matter how they get there, or from which port the ship may sail. It's a no-go.

Americans, unless of direct Cuban descent, are not allowed to visit Cuba no matter how they get there, or from which port the ship may sail. It's a no-go.

Do not be so sure on that

They can go there just not spend money there ;)

Many sail/cruise there from Florida on their private boats

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ yikes sorry to hear of your dilemna!:eek: That must be so frustrating! I hope it all works out okay. We decided to start at Montego Bay as starting in Havana seemed too difficult. We have been to Havana before so the long day will be enough for us.

Fingers crossed this cruise sails!

Hi Jo

In hindsight we should have booked our sailing from MBJ. With our b2b, two days in Havana would have sufficed. And you are right about getting to Havana. However all water under the keel now. Like previous cruises it seems that the more determined you are to go the more obstacles appear. Agreed...let's hope this sailing occurs. BTW we are in the Kingston area.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ yep what's done is done!;) Really you're in the Kingston area?!

Wow I'm in Picton! Do you ever come over this way? I met a lady from our Emerald Princess cruise that lived in Kingston & we got together before the cruise & after it too but unfortunately I attended her funeral last year.:(

We seldom go to Kingston, only for a Red Lobster fix usually & haven't even done that since January. I have taken the Kawartha Voyager cruise twice from Kingston & really liked it.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~:)

Kahlolin and Retiring Soon, appreciate the information. Our TA has located information from AT as well as the agents for the cruise. We're looking at next March. Several other cruises to plan before then so we'll see what happens. Once again thanks for the information...